We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cap of my d-limonene bottle has waxy gunk in it :( Options

Ufostrahlen
#1 Posted : 3/26/2014 1:52:15 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

So I had a closer look at the plastic cap of my PET d-limonene bottle. I hoped for a recycling code that tells me the material of which the cap is made. The bottle itself is made of PET, but no code in the cap itself.

But when I peeled out the cap inlay (= a foamy plastic, that makes the gap between the cap and the bottle opening airtight), I discovered that there's a load of waxy gunk between the bottom of the cap and the cap inlay. Now I wonder what this is. The cap and the cap inlay don't look corrosive. My d-limonene has a 95% purity. A quick evaporation test of ~10ml in a HDPE with a hairdryer formed a similar residue. A waxy grease that has a milky/transparent color.

I haven't investigated the evaporation tests further, because I didn't want to expose myself to prolonged d-limo fumes, therefore my question:

Does d-limonene form waxy gunk, when it constantly evaporates?
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Entheogenerator
#2 Posted : 3/26/2014 7:46:59 PM

Homo discens

D-limonene does not evaporate completely, it merely concentrates. What you have witnessed in your evaporation test and in the cap of your bottle sounds to me like it is probably concentrated D-limonene residue.
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

Archmage
#3 Posted : 3/26/2014 8:05:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Entheogenerator wrote:
D-limonene does not evaporate completely, it merely concentrates. What you have witnessed in your evaporation test and in the cap of your bottle sounds to me like it is probably concentrated D-limonene residue.

You know what?
I'm going to put an ounce of D-Limo 99% on a hot plate tonight and see what's left over.

Will report my findings.
-=Archmage=-

..."We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what it’s worth. You are a divine being. You matter, you count. You come from realms of unimaginable power and light, and you will return to those realms."

Ufostrahlen
#4 Posted : 3/27/2014 6:19:24 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Thanks, both of you! I googled the product code and found out, that the cap is PP. Confused I'll probably write it off as a loss.

Btw, this is interesting:

http://www.greenterpene....rity_d_Limonene_s/50.htm

Quote:
Q. What is the difference between GreenTerpene Food Grade and High Purity d-Limonene?

A. Once extracted, the Food Grade d-Limonene contains a minimum of 95.0% d-Limonene. Then it is further purified by high vacuum distillation to produce high purity d-Limonene, which contains a minimum of 98.5% d-Limonene. It may not sound like much, but 3.5% makes for a much more effective cleaner and is even necessary in some situations.

Q. So whats the other 3.5% to 5% in the d-Limonene a.k.a. Orange Terpenes?

A. The other 3.5% to 5% is comprised of only naturally occurring constituents found in orange peels. Constituents may include α-Pinene, β-Pinene, Myrcene, Octanal, Linalool, δ-3-Carene, Decanal all of which are naturally occurring in all citrus peels.
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 3/27/2014 11:01:02 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ufostrahlen wrote:
Thanks, both of you! I googled the product code and found out, that the cap is PP. Confused I'll probably write it off as a loss.

Btw, this is interesting:

http://www.greenterpene....rity_d_Limonene_s/50.htm

Quote:
Q. What is the difference between GreenTerpene Food Grade and High Purity d-Limonene?

A. Once extracted, the Food Grade d-Limonene contains a minimum of 95.0% d-Limonene. Then it is further purified by high vacuum distillation to produce high purity d-Limonene, which contains a minimum of 98.5% d-Limonene. It may not sound like much, but 3.5% makes for a much more effective cleaner and is even necessary in some situations.

Q. So whats the other 3.5% to 5% in the d-Limonene a.k.a. Orange Terpenes?

A. The other 3.5% to 5% is comprised of only naturally occurring constituents found in orange peels. Constituents may include α-Pinene, β-Pinene, Myrcene, Octanal, Linalool, δ-3-Carene, Decanal all of which are naturally occurring in all citrus peels.

Some of these things (as highlighted) will react with the air to form the polymeric gunk that you found. Pinene, for instance, is known to react with the air to form peroxides. Organic peroxides are know to catalyse certain polymerisations.

However, I would still say your limonene is essentially usable as is. I've quite successfully extracted using expressed orange oil, with its lovely orange colour from non-volatile carotenoids. That said, sometimes emulsions were a bit of a pain!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Archmage
#6 Posted : 3/28/2014 4:05:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey all. Been real busy with teaching. When I can I'll run the dlimo evap test.

Sorry for the delay.

-=Archmage=-

..."We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what it’s worth. You are a divine being. You matter, you count. You come from realms of unimaginable power and light, and you will return to those realms."