We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Coca Cola to lower pH, to pH 4? Options

SWIMfriend
#21 Posted : 6/26/2009 6:01:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Drake wrote:
I do not plan to use Coca Cola anymore. But I do plan on trying Coca Cola at a later date to see what happens Wink . As I have sead.

As for Defatting. I looked at Lextek, and it defats AFTER basifying. Where as Vovin's tek defats before basifying .

Also in Vovin's tek, step three called "Step 3: Reducing and Decanting"? I have not read much about this. And is not included in Lextek. Is it really a necessary step?

So defatting is basicly just adding Naphtha (Vovin tek suggests 100mL), in the case of defatting after an acid cook. Or after basifying , you add fresh acidic water with pH 4 (Lextek suggests 250mL). Then simply separating the Naphtha (that has the plant fats) from the TOP layer?

Just wanted to be 100% clear on what defatting is. I am sure defatting is not included in The DMT Handbook. There is a Recrystallisation process, it says it is a method of Purification. So is that counted as defatting?

Going through Vovin's tek. It seems much more advanced. Doing a defat after basifying would be fine?

As always, the members have The Nexus have given me vital information Very happy .

Vovin's tek is very straightforward and sensible. And yes, a defatting step using your acidified first extraction is simple and effective--you draw out everything that's able to dissolve in naphtha, which DOESN'T include your DMT, since it's a salt at this stage.

His step of "reducing and decanting" is first a matter of practicality: it's easier to deal with smaller volumes of solution, so "reducing" simply means heating your acid solution (already containing all the DMT extraction) until a significant portion of the water evaporates. "Decanting" refers to trying to leave behind whatever "jelled" or solid materials are left after refrigerating. This MIGHT help to clean things up a little...but it also might give up some of your DMT (especially if dealing with an unknown plant material). You could probably skip that step with little harm.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

#22 Posted : 7/22/2009 11:05:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Food grade vinegar is FINE. SWIM had used it in over a dozen A/B extractions and has always gotten great/flakey/white crystals...no sticky gump ever

PREV12