We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Should it burn? Options

S30
#1 Posted : 6/25/2009 12:06:36 AM
DMT-Nexus member

When smoking through an oil burner, should it have a tangy, numbing feeling on the lips and tongue? It tappers off after about 5 minutes. It also smells like melted plastic which from what I've read is about right but others have also said it smells like flowers. I'm a little concerned as the method of extraction used involves Lye. Is this normal?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 6/25/2009 12:11:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

lye is not the problem.. it doesnt burn at temperatures reached in normal combustion with your average lighter, but it is possible that small solid particles of lye may come through together with the dmt vapor, in the case one was really sloppy in the extraction and carried some NaOH solution to the solvent when separating.

To prevent from inhaling lye in the case it is there, one can smoke in a water bong instead. This way, even if there were tiny bits of lye particles, they would end up in the water and wouldnt reach your mouth/lungs.

Remember to put a thick layer of ashes on the bottom and on the top of the dmt, so this way the dmt wont melt through the screen, and also the top layer of ashes will protect from overheating with the flame.

Pure DMT vapour does taste a mixture of plasticky and flowery to SWIM.. There is a chance, though, that if it wasnt properly dried, there are solvent remains in your spice. One can redissolve it in alcohol and let it evaporate to crystalize (or infuse some herbs with it) to give more time for solvent traces to evaporate

MagikVenom
#3 Posted : 6/25/2009 12:57:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

S30 wrote:
When smoking through an oil burner, should it have a tangy, numbing feeling on the lips and tongue? It tappers off after about 5 minutes. It also smells like melted plastic which from what I've read is about right but others have also said it smells like flowers. I'm a little concerned as the method of extraction used involves Lye. Is this normal?

Excellent Ideal! never crossed my mind, funnel and hose would be great like modern stove top. I wonder if my tea light will heat up my soapstone Ganesh enough to vape the spice...?

looks like another experiment.

M.V.

acolon_5
#4 Posted : 6/25/2009 2:55:06 PM

The Great Namah

If you overheat the spice in the oil burner it will burn. The trick is to heat it slowly and carefully, but not overheat AND do it quickly enough to get it all in within the 1 1/2 minute mark.

I personally used to use a very nice oil burner, but after time gave it up for the leaf bed method.

If you wish to continue using the oil burner, you should learn to baby it with a torch lighter...on, off, on, off, always heating from a distance (flame should NOT touch the bulb or you're gonna burn the heck out of it).

When you don't burn it, the smoke should be VERY smooth. Lye probably has nothing to do with the burn, but a good rextalization wouldn't hurt to get out any other impurities in the spice.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

kungpow
#5 Posted : 6/25/2009 3:33:11 PM

Brandon

If you are having a problem with burnt spice and the oil burner I suggest the leaf bed method also. A year ago I extracted some spice and gave up on smoking it because I was using an oil burner. The harshness was terrible and I too had the really tingly sensation on my lips.

A friend introduced me to the leaf bed method a few weeks ago and I will never smoke dmt any other way. The smoke is actually quite smooth and enjoyable. Now that I have had a few experiences under my belt I really enjoy that taste and the smell.

S30
#6 Posted : 6/26/2009 1:06:42 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply's, much appreciated. I'll give the oil burner another try with less flame and try not to burn it and then try the leaf bed method.

acolon_5
#7 Posted : 6/26/2009 4:29:53 PM

The Great Namah

You may want to clean out your oil burner with naphtha or IPA and a Q-Tip. Residue from previous burns will be very harsh, no matter how gentle you are with the new spice in the burner.

You can also add some extra spice (if doseing 50mgs use 75 instead). This way you won't have to use as much heat to get your full 50mg experience. Sure there will be some spice left in the burner, but if you heat it correctly you will be able to use that with your next launch.

Also a good technique is to melt the spice in the bulb (gently), let it sit for 5 minutes or so and then start smoking from it. This seems to help.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

wake and bacon
#8 Posted : 6/26/2009 4:50:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Melting works so well. SWIM encourages his friends to do so... it promotes less wasted spice and more successful journeys.
DeadLizard wrote:
Darkbb wrote:
BTW wheres the "Donate" button traveler?

There are 2 ways to donate
one is called "Post Reply" and the other is called "New Topic"
You will find these buttons at the top and bottom of most pages

TalkShowOnMute
#9 Posted : 8/3/2009 5:01:06 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM had a tingling numbing of the lips and a scalding of the throat...

SWIM is an inexperienced smoker...never really smoked anything..taken things but never really smoked..not ever cigarettes. So swim loaded up about a matchhead sized amount of spice into his oil pipe..it started to vaporize but never got really thick and white..the smoke was always a little see-through i guess you could say. So swim could not figure out what was going on so he started to hit it anyway and mostly filled his lungs..the burning was soo intense swims throat locked up immediately and he could not swallow..his lips burn still and so does his throat. SWIM could not bare a second attempt at this time... His lung were only full for a second or two...

NO effects of note. Maybe some lightheadedness at best.

Ideas?

۩
#10 Posted : 8/3/2009 5:25:28 AM

wow that sounds terrible! This is how my first few experiences were due to my lack of knowledge and the poor quality of extract I had back then.

Everyone should have some herbs handy. Maybe try and find some that you could work with. You can make teas, occasionally smoke, cook, medicine. It's a rewarding hobby. You could find some herbs that are soothing and nice to smoke that work well with the spice (like the mints, menthols, mullein, cannabis, pau d'arco)

You can then sandwich the spice inbetween your favorite herbs and puff on them as you please in a pipe, a changuar joint, or a bong.

The spice is the strangest of smokes...but you must get used to it, for it will take you far into the vast mysterious workings of this Universe!

TalkShowOnMute
#11 Posted : 8/3/2009 5:32:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
wow that sounds terrible! This is how my first few experiences were due to my lack of knowledge and the poor quality of extract I had back then.

Everyone should have some herbs handy. Maybe try and find some that you could work with. You can make teas, occasionally smoke, cook, medicine. It's a rewarding hobby. You could find some herbs that are soothing and nice to smoke that work well with the spice (like the mints, menthols, mullein, cannabis, pau d'arco)

You can then sandwich the spice inbetween your favorite herbs and puff on them as you please in a pipe, a changa joint, or a bong.

The spice is the strangest of smokes...but you must get used to it, for it will take you far into the vast mysterious workings of this Universe!

Thank you for the help sir. SWIM was instantly put off of DMT, but that only lasted about 30 minutes! Laughing

SWIM is thinking about a machine or like you said..sandwiching it between some herbs and smoking it out of a regular old pipe. Smile Thanks again.

obliguhl
#12 Posted : 8/3/2009 8:30:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That definatly sounds like burnt spice to me! It really hurts and seems to burn your mouth and throat. But vapor is realy smooth, at least in a water bong.

TalkShowOnMute
#13 Posted : 8/5/2009 2:21:09 AM
DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl wrote:
That definatly sounds like burnt spice to me! It really hurts and seems to burn your mouth and throat. But vapor is realy smooth, at least in a water bong.

Wator bong...great idea...Swim needs to find one that work. Why doesnt anyone make a vaporizer with like a porcelain dish instead of screens or something...it wouldnt be to hard and fans of the spice would probably love it..I've been running the idea by a few of my work buddies and they think it would be easy to do...

About the leftover naphtha in the spice causing numbness and tingling of the lips (not cool)...

How can swim be sure it is totally evapped out...Swim had his crystals out for an hour or so under a fan..then placed them in a nice container in the fridge for a few days..smoked it a few days later and it still numbed his lips..and smells a little of naphtha... Sad

obliguhl
#14 Posted : 8/5/2009 7:29:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The water bong machine style is the smoothest way to smoke, my friend has found. He's had no luck with changa (always burns the containing spice) ...and the herb makes it harsher. Screens in common vaporizers are a problem, because the spice would propably melt thru. A solution would be to add a small layer herbs at the bottom of the screen, so the spice can't escape.

As for the naphta: Spred your product across a porcelaine dish or something..as thin as possible. It should evaporate rather quickly.

TalkShowOnMute
#15 Posted : 8/7/2009 4:41:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

What do you fellas think about recrystallization with bestine as opposed to naphtha? Although SWIM says that the Naphtha has been great for pulling spice, it has been so-so in evapping out of the spice..it never seems to fully remove itself from the spice. bestine is known to evap faster no?

Swim is thinking about taking all of his white/yellow xtals and recrysing them all in bestine since he can never seem to get them pure white... :frown:

TalkShowOnMute
#16 Posted : 8/8/2009 9:02:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Swim was able to adjust technique and a light bulb vape. but the vapr/smoke is never thick..it is always thin and mostly transparent..he take it in..hold..and yes it is harsh...then nothing..feeling nothing still...it really is depressing.

SWIM was certain he was getting good hits..alas the trials of a novice smoker.

TalkShowOnMute
#17 Posted : 8/9/2009 12:50:42 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM thinks that he is gonna give up..he tried again (probably 6th attempt) do or die this time..took big puffs..held probably 5 lungfuls for but could only hold them like 5 secs each and nothing...nothing....all the work for nothing...

Wouldn't SWIM have atleast felt something?

obliguhl
#18 Posted : 8/9/2009 9:06:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just use a proper vaporisation device and technique, then you'll feel...erm..."something" Surprised

lonewolf123
#19 Posted : 8/9/2009 6:30:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I cant recommend the Vapor Genie enough! If you can't afford it than 'The Machine' is decent, but in no way as easy as the Vapor Genie,...at least for me. I sandwich it between some ash,... I dont think it gets burnt, tastes pretty much like nothing, and best of all always gets me where I want to go in 1 hit.

۩
#20 Posted : 8/9/2009 7:21:44 PM

TalkShowOnMute wrote:
SWIM thinks that he is gonna give up..he tried again (probably 6th attempt) do or die this time..took big puffs..held probably 5 lungfuls for but could only hold them like 5 secs each and nothing...nothing....all the work for nothing...

Wouldn't SWIM have atleast felt something?

5 seconds each? You must be burning your spice.
You need to hold your hits in longer.
You will literally feel the spice hit you every second longer you hold in those hits.
It is very important that you wait at least 20 seconds with a good hit in you.

It's harsh when you burn it, and it doesn't allow the neurotransmission.

Try a new method. Leaf bed in a glass pipe. The machine. Let us know how it goes.......

12NEXT