We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Alternative alcohol extraction? Options

VisualDistortion
#1 Posted : 6/23/2009 8:21:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know that ethonal extractions are fairly common and very simple. Could one extract the goodies with methanol instead? Then to the methonal containing the extract a 20% solution of tartaric acid/methonal would be added causing the tartrate salts of the goodies to crash out. Then these can be filtered in a buhcner funnel and dried. Is this plausible?
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 6/23/2009 8:24:38 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

this is indeed plausible for psilocybin.

a/b is more suitable for psilocin extraction
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

VisualDistortion
#3 Posted : 6/23/2009 8:31:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Is there anyway to make all the psilocin turn into psilocybin?

benzyme
#4 Posted : 6/23/2009 8:52:04 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

well, most dried mushrooms have primarily psilocybin anyway.
the psilocin is contained within fresh cells.

i mention the a/b as an alternative, as the acidification of psilocybin, with mild heat, converts it back to psilocin via heat-assisted acid-catalyzed dephosphorylation. basification followed by extraction with a non-polar gives psilocin freebase.

to extract psilocybin, alcoholic extractions are suitable
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

VisualDistortion
#5 Posted : 6/23/2009 8:56:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If an A/B extraction was done, would rendering psilocin in its tartrate salt form help it resist oxidization much like tartaric acid does for LSD?

benzyme
#6 Posted : 6/23/2009 9:15:12 PM

analytical chemist

most likely.
ascorbic acid works as well

VisualDistortion
#7 Posted : 6/23/2009 9:27:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Are absorbic acid or tartaric acid soluble in any non-polar solvents that are not miscible in water? How about this theoretical extraction

Fungus is ground up and then enough vinegar is added to cover the ground fungus

Fungus/vinegar mixture is heated to 80 degree farenheit to convert psilcybin to psilocin(Maybe more or less heat needed, I don't know, but SWIM does not want to overdo the heat)

Add sodiom carbonate for basification

Extract with non-polar solvent, most likely DCM

Add 20% solution of tartaric acid and methanol to salt out goodies

benzyme
#8 Posted : 6/23/2009 9:37:38 PM

analytical chemist

sounds feasible. test the pH of the 20% solution, it should be around 5.

use a 70C water bath to heat the vinegar/mush slurry in another dish
take the pH to about 9 during the basification step

ascobic acid and tartaric acid are water soluble, they're not really soluble in non-polars.

VisualDistortion
#9 Posted : 6/23/2009 9:40:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

But methanol is miscible in DCM right? So adding the acidic methanol to the DCM should salt out the psilocin, correct?

benzyme
#10 Posted : 6/23/2009 9:45:18 PM

analytical chemist

in theory, yes. methanol, and water to some extent, are marginally miscible with chloroform because of hydrogen-bonding.

swim would just use conc. aqueous ascorbic or tartaric sol'n, just to be on the safe side, yield-wise.

it's also possible that psilocin might be more soluble in the dcm than in the acidic aqueous sol'n, in which case, evap the dcm, then dissolve the residue with the acidic solution, and store in an amber bottle in the fridge.

antichode
#11 Posted : 6/24/2009 4:59:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM and his friends used to boil up about a hundred or so strong woodlovers with a bottle of jose cuervo for about half an hour or so, mash the mushrooms a bit and then strain the booze back into the bottle, or into many smaller bottles that could be sealed and kept for some time. The resulting booze was excellent, one shot would be enough to set you up for 6 hours or so, and it just tasted like a musty tequila, easy to get down with a little lemon and salt Pleased

damiana
#12 Posted : 6/2/2010 10:32:40 PM

Cosmic Dragon

VisualDistortion, did SWIY have any luck with the extraction? Has anyone gotten psilocin to crash out of a solvent other then DCM?
PEACE

ragabr
#13 Posted : 6/3/2010 12:52:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Would a BLAB work for this, and then crash out with citric acid?
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms