We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Can get Phosphoric Acid and Sodium Hydroxide. But not in pure forms. Problem? Options

Drake
#1 Posted : 6/23/2009 10:12:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Basically posted the topic in the wrong area. Also have other questions to add to this!

1. I can get the Phosphoric Acid from a rust remover product called Ranex, but is 35% Phosphoric Acid. Is that a problem?

2. I have found a brand of Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda / Lye) called "Mechanix Caustic Soda". But is 98% Sodium Hydroxide. Is this also a problem?

I would like to avoid ordering the chemicals online. But maybe I might? just want to know the problems of not having pure Sodium Hydroxide will make. 35% Phosphoric Acid should not be a problem, or I could be wrong.

Below is the original topic.

Quote:
So I am gathering the items and chemicals needed. The DMT handbook suggests three different acids to choose from, one being Phosphoric Acid. I am going to go with Phosphoric Acid! I am not sure where to buy this stuff, how "pure" it needs to be. I found a lab site that sells a range of Phosphoric Acid.
Quote:

» Phosphoric Acid, 1% Solution
» Phosphoric Acid, 1.0 N Solution
» Phosphoric Acid, 10% (v/v) Aqueous Solution
» Phosphoric Acid, 15% (v/v) Solution
» Phosphoric Acid, 18.0 N Solution
» Phosphoric Acid, 2.0 N Solution
» Phosphoric Acid, 25% (v/v) Aqueous
» Phosphoric Acid, 30% (v/v) Solution
» Phosphoric Acid, 75%, Technical
» Phosphoric Acid, 85%, (1+9) Solution
» Phosphoric Acid, 85%, Electronic/Cleanroom Grade
» Phosphoric Acid, 85%, FCC
» Phosphoric Acid, Meta, Chip, Reagent, ACS
» Phosphoric Acid, NF
» Phosphoric Acid, Reagent, ACS
» Phosphoric Acid–Sulfamic Acid, Solution

So what one should be obtained? There is three different grades of Phosphoric Acid at 85%... I don't really want to use vinegar, as the handbook suggested the yields were not as good.

As always. I thank The Nexus for the information!
How To Stop a Nightmare
Insanty at its finest!
The Dark reaches of The Void are there. But it is not to be feared.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 6/23/2009 11:05:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I can guarantee you that vinegar is perfectly fine for extractions

As for the products, you have to find out WHAT are the impurities, if possible.. SWIM already used 98% sodium hydroxide and it was perfectly fine, but the impurities were inert. Try to find out if it states what are the impurities, if you can find info on the internet about this specific brand, etc...

and for the phosphoric acid, same same, try to find out what is the rest. If its just water, because its in a solution, then its no problem..

Drake
#3 Posted : 6/23/2009 1:53:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the information! I will be sure to reply back with what the impurities are.
How To Stop a Nightmare
Insanty at its finest!
The Dark reaches of The Void are there. But it is not to be feared.