We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
All-natural fertilizer using your back garden weed Options

Ginkgo
#1 Posted : 6/21/2009 3:21:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I posted this over at The Corroboree, but why shouldn't you too learn this? Smile

Don't you just hate the Stinging nettle? Yeah, I do too. But you know what? Your plants love it!

Instead of buying expensive fertilizer, you can just use this weed you will find all over the place. Personally I use both Urtica dioica (Stinging nettle) and Urtica urens (Small nettle), but other Nettles could propably also be used.

How is it done?
Fill a bucket half full of Nettle, then fill the bucket with water. Let it ferment for 14 days, refill with more water if needed. It is advisable to stir the water every day to give extra oxygen. After 14 days or more you have a smelling bucket of black water (you will smell it when it is done), which your plant will love. Dilute this fertilizer with water 1:10, and it is ready for use.

Why does it work?
Nettle is full of goodies your plants love. Not only is there lots of nutrients and important minerals, the fertilizer will also promote the admission of nitrogen to most plants. It also contains bacteria that stimulate the decomposition of organic material in the soil. Nettle fertilizer will also prevent fungus from growing. As if that wasn't enough, it also contain a plant hormone in the Auxin class, a hormone that might promote healthy growth.

You can also mix in some bark from Salix alba - this contains Salicylic acid, which also works as a plant hormone.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Jorkest
#2 Posted : 6/21/2009 7:10:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

nice!
it's a sound

endlessness
#3 Posted : 6/21/2009 9:50:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

indeed! its always good to know this stuff

Ginkgo
#4 Posted : 6/21/2009 10:34:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, it is really great to be able to use the wonderful nature like this! Why buy expensive and synthetic fertilizer when it's growing in your own back yard? Pleased You could also use Stinging Nettle as a food to not only your plants, but to yourself too. It is one of the plants that is most rich in nutrients, vitamins and essential minerals. Tastes a bit like iron though...

I am using the fertilizer with great success on my whole garden and all my indoor plants. They grow noticeable faster and better than with commercial alternatives, and there is no risk in giving them too much. They simply can't get enough of the Nettle! Very happy

Kannamate
#5 Posted : 6/22/2009 12:06:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

you can use comfrey in the exact same way for flowering plants it has a lot of potassium so don't use it for leafy plants it might stunt them possibly. It's good for tomatoes and fruits,flowers etc. it has a NPK ratio of about 8 : 2.6 : 20.5 %.
comfrey article