We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
How wolves change rivers Options

Elpo
#1 Posted : 2/17/2014 1:52:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just saw this video and was moved to tears:
http://www.filmsforaction.org/w...s/#.UwH7Z5Xc8yk.facebook
"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

PowerfulMedicine
#2 Posted : 2/17/2014 8:28:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for posting that video. I'm gonna have to remember that one word they used, "trophic cascade". Its an eloquent word to describe something that is truly very beautiful and complicated. I never really thought about how wolves might have had such a great impact on Yellowstone. I was well aware of the decrease in numbers of grazing animals, but I hadn't taken the next leaps to thinking about the further impacts. At least not regarding Yellowstone.

It's sad that reduction of large animal numbers is often the main point of debate in mainstream debates about the reintroduction of wolves. All the other benefits that they have are often overlooked since there is less of a direct economic link.

But I have noticed a similar situation occurring in my area. I live in a heavily urban area that still has large tracts of forest preserves in the boundaries of the city. The lack of hunting by humans and large predators has allowed deer populations to grow very large. Overgrazing and streambank erosion have become a problem in many areas, threatening the diversity of remnant native ecosystems.

The coyote population has also been increasing, and I've heard of coyotes in my area preying on young deer. I've even seen them traveling in small packs. I'd love to see this coyote population grow even more, hopefully restoring some balance similar to the way wolves affected Yellowstone. But sadly, people misunderstand these predators and fear for their safety and the safety of their pets, disregarding the greater good of the surrounding ecosystems and the fact that coyotes are very elusive and avoid people very effectively, posing less danger than animals such as raccoons or skunks.
Maay-yo-naze!

thymamai
#3 Posted : 2/20/2014 12:33:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^ or loose domestic dogs for that matter.

PowerfulMedicine
#4 Posted : 2/20/2014 9:12:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd be much more afraid of loose domestic dogs than coyotes (not that I even worry about that though). Coyotes at least have a natural fear of people and try to remain elusive. The behavior of domestic dogs is far less predictable.

A dog that seemingly approaches you in a friendly manner could easily turn on you. I've never been approached by a coyote in my area though. They always run away when they see me. And as long as people don't start trying to feed the coyotes, they generally remain wary of people.
Maay-yo-naze!

deadhead4eva
#5 Posted : 2/24/2014 8:30:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is really cool. What a beautiful balance in our universe.Big grin
Everything written here is a complete work of fiction for entertainment purposes only.