We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
HydroShroom - anyone seen this yet? Options

Archmage
#1 Posted : 1/2/2014 11:14:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi All!

Has anyone seen this product:
http://www.universitysci...cf1e43e2757ec95def91c92c

What do you all think? I'm heavily considering purchasing one... and am curious as to anyone's feedback / whether or not anyone has picked one of these babies up yet?

Let me know!

Thanks!
-=Archmage=-

..."We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what it’s worth. You are a divine being. You matter, you count. You come from realms of unimaginable power and light, and you will return to those realms."

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Du57mi73
#2 Posted : 1/2/2014 11:55:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Omg that looks pretty amazing. I might get one myself. i wonder if they can come in larger sizes. 15x12x9 isnt very big.
"I am cursed by the blossoming knowledge of my feminine ideal and she looks suspiciously like you."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." -AE

Archmage
#3 Posted : 1/3/2014 12:03:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I know right? Even tho small, it could essentially live under a bathroom sink, and I would say because it's "hydro" that I wouldn't have to worry too much about humidity with it. I think it might be a great concept - but I'm looking for some pro's feedback before I invest. Anything that takes more work out of it for me and provides for an easy way to make it be "discreet" qualifies as a good product in my book.

Anyone else have some feedback? all honesty is welcome.
-=Archmage=-

..."We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what it’s worth. You are a divine being. You matter, you count. You come from realms of unimaginable power and light, and you will return to those realms."

Nathanial.Dread
#4 Posted : 1/3/2014 12:49:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

HydroShroom is the most entertaining collection of syllables I've ever come across.

HydroShroom.

OT: Well, all the existing reviews look positive. I'm not financially secure enough to gamble on one, but I have to say, this looks very promising.
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Parshvik Chintan
#5 Posted : 1/3/2014 1:12:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thats a pretty unnecessarily spendy kit to grow cubes (especially since making your own fruiting chambers and buying canning jars are simple enough). but if money is not a factor, this would be a great purchase.
looks about as idiot-proof as you could hope for.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Du57mi73
#6 Posted : 1/3/2014 2:49:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The only thing i see that it doesnt modulate is temperature. it has a thermometer, but that doesnt change its temp.
"I am cursed by the blossoming knowledge of my feminine ideal and she looks suspiciously like you."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." -AE

Archmage
#7 Posted : 1/3/2014 6:25:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Du57mi73 wrote:
The only thing i see that it doesnt modulate is temperature. it has a thermometer, but that doesnt change its temp.

Dusty,
I would think that with a sealed environment and a heater plugged directly into the water, that the environmental temperature would be dictated by the temperature of said water.....any thoughts?
-=Archmage=-

SpartanII
#8 Posted : 1/3/2014 11:30:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't see how this product is that unique. An amateur grower could build this easily with readily available parts. Cheaper too!

Nicita
#9 Posted : 1/4/2014 12:28:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Get a used aquarium on ebay with a cover and lights. Doesn't even have to be waterproof any more. Then just fill with hydrocorrels soaked in hot water and you can also add a aquarium heater in a small water container to heat to the desired temperature. Also don't put the cakes directly on the correls, like they show you on their product, since that will spread bacteria, yeast etc. very fast. I bet you can get an aquarium for five bugs and the other material needed for another 10-20$.
The name "Hydroshrooms" is IMO just for bullshitting people. It's a common fruiting chamber and has nothing to do with hydroculture.

It's a nice little toy but nothing more and I highly doubt significantly increased yields because you have a fancy box you probably won't use it for long anyways, since it's so small. Get a pressure cooker for the money. You can buy a very good used one for that price and it will be much more usefull for your mushrooms endavours in the long run.
Other useful things you could buy or build when you already have a pressure cooker:

Petri dishes
(DIY) Glovebox
Bunsenburner
Glases
Heatproof plastic grow bags
Substrates
Rare mushroom genetics
(DIY) Hepa filter laminar flow hood (a bit more expensive than a glovebox, but worth the investment, if your commited to growing)
Lots more used aquariums
Incubator (old fridge, styrofoam box, or other insulating container with heater inside)
Syringes
Laboratory glas
Scales

You won't become a good grower by buying fancy stuff, you will by doing the process over and over again and learn about how the shrooms grow and how to work sterile!

Kerberos
#10 Posted : 1/4/2014 2:11:31 AM

Michael

About 12 years too late! Already done here on the ShroomeryVery happy

Worlds firstThumbs down
and when the world stops
you will find me there
waiting to embrace you

shanedudddy2
#11 Posted : 1/4/2014 6:32:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shotgun FC works for me, and is easy, and you can make many of the tubs.
I`m looking forward to Summer being over, going to grow epic amount of shrooms Very happy Very happy

Archmage
#12 Posted : 1/4/2014 6:35:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Indeed everyone....I completely agree with everything said.... The "hydro" in the name doesn't fool me in the least.....I already decided 2 days ago not to invest in the device.... Particularly after a visit over to shroomery..... the feedback there on the subject already was most informative.

I feel, the good old fashioned way probably starting out with the shotgun tek might be the way for a beginner to pop their cherry.

Thanks all for the input !!

-=Archmage=-

infinitynlove
#13 Posted : 1/9/2014 2:32:41 AM

Mushroom Explorer

SpartanII wrote:
I don't see how this product is that unique. An amateur grower could build this easily with readily available parts. Cheaper too!

very true! but for the beginner it is a good setup, not very big but a decent setup none the less,

it would be ideal for the lazy grower, it would be great for neglecting and then harvesting with little effort involved.
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

infinitynlove
#14 Posted : 1/9/2014 2:35:31 AM

Mushroom Explorer

Archmage wrote:
Indeed everyone....I completely agree with everything said.... The "hydro" in the name doesn't fool me in the least.....I already decided 2 days ago not to invest in the device.... Particularly after a visit over to shroomery..... the feedback there on the subject already was most informative.

I feel, the good old fashioned way probably starting out with the shotgun tek might be the way for a beginner to pop their cherry.

Thanks all for the input !!

for a beginner to really get into shrooms, they should do PF tek on brf cakes in a simple terrarium / fc and then mist and fan manually, monitor the temp and humidity manually and adjust everything manually, allow yourself to fail!

Failing is the BEST teacher by far! you never forget the things you did that made things go wrong!

peace Smile
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

Archmage
#15 Posted : 1/11/2014 6:59:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Love all the feedback. Swim has their spores and all other items and is about to Create. Will post pics when have them.

-=Archmage=-

Entheogenerator
#16 Posted : 1/11/2014 7:11:55 AM

Homo discens

I love the little "As Seen on TV" logo... Which channel is this being advertised on?? Laughing
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

Archmage
#17 Posted : 1/20/2014 1:38:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I said I would post swim's pics.

Here's 3 days after inoculation.

I also am going to start a new thread.

Standby. Can't seem to post pics from iPad.
-=Archmage=-

Bonné
#18 Posted : 1/20/2014 8:58:56 AM

Who are you?

I read a lot about HydroShroom 1½-2 years ago and found very controversial and conflicting opinions from people. I recall reading somewhere that cultivating shrooms using a hydroponic method hadn't even been shown to be more effective than the traditional cultivating methods. I wouldn't advise anyone to throw their money after HydroShrooms, as it just appears to be a new and more expensive grow kit. Also, why invest in a kit or box when it can be made by yourself for -10% of the price. All that's required is about 1-2 hours of reading and you'll be ready to set everything up.

Archmage
#19 Posted : 1/21/2014 6:49:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Bonné wrote:
I read a lot about HydroShroom 1½-2 years ago and found very controversial and conflicting opinions from people. I recall reading somewhere that cultivating shrooms using a hydroponic method hadn't even been shown to be more effective than the traditional cultivating methods. I wouldn't advise anyone to throw their money after HydroShrooms, as it just appears to be a new and more expensive grow kit. Also, why invest in a kit or box when it can be made by yourself for -10% of the price. All that's required is about 1-2 hours of reading and you'll be ready to set everything up.

Couldn't agree more. I ditched the Hydroshroom idea about 5 minutes after my post.

I wanted to post some pics but can't figure out how to post pics from an iPad.

-=Archmage=-

Archmage
#20 Posted : 1/21/2014 6:50:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Long awaited pic. Day 2 of innoculation jars in PF tek.

Archmage attached the following image(s):
IMG_0283.JPG (2,148kb) downloaded 79 time(s).
-=Archmage=-