We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
N-Hexane Options

dakkapel
#21 Posted : 4/26/2015 3:40:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

1ce wrote:
Hexane is remarkably non polar, and DMT isn't very soluble in hexane at low temperatures. This makes it a poor choice for extractions, and a great choice for crystallizations.

The reason you don't see alot of people using it can be put rather bluntly: it's the wrong tool for the job.

Well good to know!
Interesting though that DMTtripper can make 1,5%, still.
Why does hexane on higher temperature give this result?
What do you think of this Wasbenzine mix I described in my previous post. Is that a good extraction solvent?

"All is knowing."

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Rabbit
#22 Posted : 4/28/2015 6:38:15 AM

Hopping through time and space

Heptane is a much safer solvent for extraction of any consumable good than n-hexane.

The reason is because n-hexane is oxidized by the body into 2,5-hexanedione which can react with nitrogenous amino acids contained in proteins that help to make up your nervous system, cyclize and cross-link, causing damage. This effect is chronic and builds up over time. I've heard it known as shoemaker disease, naturally because it impacted those in the shoe-manufacturing industry who used it regularly.

N-heptane does not carry these risks. It does have a higher boiling point, but it's not unreasonable. Considering the fact that a small amount of solvent can persist after extraction, and the fact that the end-product is destined to be consumed (often via inhalation), it would be highly advisable to eliminate chronic toxins from the procedure in any way possible.

DreaMTripper
#23 Posted : 4/28/2015 9:11:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thinking of ices idea in a previous thread the crystals could be submerged in a very small ammount of ice cold distilled water then filtered or decant away, theory is any residual np solvent will float on the surface of the water enabling separation from the extract. I see no reason this wouldnt work especially if they have been gradually precipitated and that they are all crystals, any oily extract may not work.

dakkapel
#24 Posted : 5/1/2015 9:13:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DreaMTripper wrote:
Thinking of ices idea in a previous thread the crystals could be submerged in a very small ammount of ice cold distilled water then filtered or decant away, theory is any residual np solvent will float on the surface of the water enabling separation from the extract. I see no reason this wouldnt work especially if they have been gradually precipitated and that they are all crystals, any oily extract may not work.

But there seems to be just one reason to use hexane over heptane. Namely, the temperature of boling is lower. For the rest I haven't found another reason to use hexane. Then taking the toxicity of hexane in account. Why not take heptane?
"All is knowing."

gimpy
#25 Posted : 6/6/2015 1:49:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I made the switch from naphtha to hexane a little while ago. Definitely noticed and increase in purity (whiteness anyway - I imagine naphtha does a better job of pulling the oils from the bark too) but slight decrease in yield.

Apart from safety reasons with hexane (which I wasn't aware of until I read this thread), what advantages would there be with using haptane over hexane?
To fathom hell or soar angelic, take a pinch of psychedelic....

gimpy
#26 Posted : 6/6/2015 1:51:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dakkapel wrote:
But there seems to be just one reason to use hexane over heptane. Namely, the temperature of boling is lower.

Ah should of read that one again.

So lower boiling point = (generally speaking) less ability to hold solute?

Would you need to warm heptane up?
To fathom hell or soar angelic, take a pinch of psychedelic....

oversoul1919
#27 Posted : 6/6/2015 2:19:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rabbit wrote:
Heptane is a much safer solvent for extraction of any consumable good than n-hexane.

The reason is because n-hexane is oxidized by the body into 2,5-hexanedione which can react with nitrogenous amino acids contained in proteins that help to make up your nervous system, cyclize and cross-link, causing damage. This effect is chronic and builds up over time. I've heard it known as shoemaker disease, naturally because it impacted those in the shoe-manufacturing industry who used it regularly.

N-heptane does not carry these risks. It does have a higher boiling point, but it's not unreasonable. Considering the fact that a small amount of solvent can persist after extraction, and the fact that the end-product is destined to be consumed (often via inhalation), it would be highly advisable to eliminate chronic toxins from the procedure in any way possible.

That's true about n-hexane.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC1035212/

PREV12