We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
soxhlet friedrichs condenser question Options

timeloop
#1 Posted : 6/13/2009 5:54:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has apparently purchased a very nice soxhlet apparatus that should be arriving tomorrow. Very happy Very happy Very happy Very happy SWIM told me that he is very happy to finally have some decent glassware Very happy Very happy Very happy Very happy SWIM asked me to ask some of the alchemists on the nexus about a particular function of the condenser.

the condenser is a Pyrex Friedrichs condenser with angled side drip tube.

the question is exactly what is the angled side drip tube used for? SWIM has found that the condenser looks slightly different to all of the other friedrichs condensers he has seen.

here is an image:

any help would be greatly appreciated

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

69ron
#2 Posted : 6/13/2009 6:19:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't like that tube. It looks so easy to break!!!

I've never seen a condenser like that before. The tube must be for collecting samples of the condensate. Why would you want that?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

timeloop
#3 Posted : 6/13/2009 6:40:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

swim thinks it would be very easy to break as well... and can envision it happening quite quickly

SWIM has also never seen a condenser like that before... but was guessing that it perhaps could be used as a compact distilling apparatus of sorts...

why would swim want that? mostly to get the soxhlet and flasks and attachments... planning to try and experiment with essential oils and create some extracts of various native plants... but swim is not entirely sure what he would specifically be using the drip tube for apart from experimenting with distilling

it is difficult to see exactly how the condenser is constructed in the picture. Do you think it will function like a normal condenser at all? do you think it would be possible to use it to reflux the solvent? or should I be getting a normal condenser?

burnt
#4 Posted : 6/13/2009 5:00:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

I can't see too clearly but since there is no other hole for ventalitation (unless thats on top but I can't tell if its for water hose or not from this picture). So it probably has dual purpose for ventilation for for collecting small amounts of the solvent during extraction perhaps as a way to monitor the extraction?

69ron
#5 Posted : 6/13/2009 7:07:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd like to see a clearer picture of that condenser.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

timeloop
#6 Posted : 6/14/2009 8:09:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks guys, swim will get a decent photo as soon as it arrives

clamshavefeelingstoo
#7 Posted : 6/14/2009 7:26:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd venture to guess that it funnels the condensation off so that you can collect it instead of it dripping all over your apparatus/workstation. Very awkward, however.

D00R5
#8 Posted : 6/14/2009 7:57:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Won’t work for soxhlet! I hope I wrong but this is used for solvent recovery - collecting of condensed sample without condensate being returned to flask for reboiling. Instead of letting your condensed droplets of solvent to continuously drip into the soxhlet apparatus trough condenser bottom joint and then being siphoned back to flask its going to send it right down that damn tube for collection “dripping” into separate collecting flask! Even if you find someone to properly seal that tube it probably still won’t work. The solvent vapor from flask will be entering central column then exiting holes at top of the column, condensate on spiral and drip down bottom where it will start to collect probably all the way up to level of the vapor entering holes. Twisted scenario for operation of soxhlet but I would try anywayTwisted Evil ! Or simply buy 4-6 bulb Allihn condenser. The soxhlet’s top joint in your picture seems to be of 45/50 size.
Although the Friedrich you got is very handy for instance when evaporating down, freeing your "sample" of the solvent. But if used for this purpose you might need to acquire more adapters (reducing adapter) or flask with different size neck. Usually this type of condensers for some mysterious to me reason made mostly with 34/45 bottom joint. The flasks in your picture look more like 24/40. Research before you buy something especially of ibay. Check “Aceglass”, “Chemglass” online catalogs and compare offered items with catalog pics and descriptions.
All the best comrade!

timeloop
#9 Posted : 6/15/2009 10:55:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for the msg clamshavefeelingstoo and door5. The glassware arrived today and it seems like you are right... there is no way for the condensate to drip back down into the soxhlet, only out of the drip tube... (SWIM really should have done proper research Pleased ) however to be used as you say in freeing the sample and recycling solvent is very handy... ill check out aceglass and chemglass and get some reducing adapters if needed.

another couple of questions... would a 3 bulb allihn condenser do the trick? (swim has found a cheapish one) or should SWIM really get a larger 4-6 bulb one?

SWIM likes the look of the Friedrichs/Graham/Dimroth style spiral condensers, (he thinks it would probably add to the whole made scientist feel he has got going on in his workshop/lab)... however SWIM now realizes that picking glassware purely on aesthetic value is really not the best idea Smile .... so what would be the most effective/efficient condenser to get for extraction purposes?