We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
New member integration Options

adam
#1 Posted : 12/5/2013 7:55:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just had an idea due to seeing multiple posts breaking the rules regarding sourcing, and a lot of mentions in chat about the same.

I am wondering if maybe a little quiz for new members would be a good idea.

For example we already have examples of good and bad posts. Maybe make new members answer a simple yes or no on certain example posts, so they can understand the difference between a good and bad post and possibly familiarize with the forum guidelines a bit.

I can understand if this may seem a bit draconian but I think it would cut down on these occurrences and make the mods jobs a bit easier as well.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Kerberos
#2 Posted : 12/5/2013 8:30:32 PM

Michael

I think that this would of helped me when i first started coming here. I believe that people can be eager to please or feel that they have to post to take part. This can lead to the problems you have raised.

I really think that the the post subject should be changed from examination to integration or some other less clinically sounding title.

PS my wife has just seen the title of this thread and is making some rather crude commentsShocked Laughing
and when the world stops
you will find me there
waiting to embrace you

3rdI
#3 Posted : 12/5/2013 8:43:17 PM

veni, vidi, spici

Do you mean a test that would include using the searchRazz Very happy
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

adam
#4 Posted : 12/5/2013 8:47:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

good idea kerberos, thank you!

And 3rdI, it wouldn't be a bad idea to remind new members that most likely their questions are already answered somewhere elseThumbs up

3rdI
#5 Posted : 12/5/2013 9:22:11 PM

veni, vidi, spici

Indeed, the search is a wonderful functionSmile
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Cosmic Spore
#6 Posted : 12/5/2013 9:41:05 PM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

adam wrote:
I just had an idea due to seeing multiple posts breaking the rules regarding sourcing, and a lot of mentions in chat about the same.

I am wondering if maybe a little quiz for new members would be a good idea.

For example we already have examples of good and bad posts. Maybe make new members answer a simple yes or no on certain example posts, so they can understand the difference between a good and bad post and possibly familiarize with the forum guidelines a bit.

I can understand if this may seem a bit draconian but I think it would cut down on these occurrences and make the mods jobs a bit easier as well.

I like the idea of quizzing new members (before post #1), I think way more people would read the attitude page more thoroughly.

Guyomech
#7 Posted : 12/6/2013 1:16:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

Or as they are making their first post, a pop-up (like the PM notices) that simply says, "before making your first few posts, please use the Search feature to make sure your question hasn't already been asked." (OK button)

But I have great faith in human boneheadedness, having partaken of it myself many times, and don't know if this issue is actually curable.

adam
#8 Posted : 12/7/2013 11:42:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well the only reason I offer this idea is because it seems that at least a few people come here wanting sources, and teks told/ explained personally to them without doing any reading. A few come, ignore the policies, and go straight to breaking the rules whether it be in a post or in chat.

Either way I am not a moderator so it doesn't bother me much, I just thought it might be a good idea to cut down on editing posts all the time, and informing people on the rules.

alert
#9 Posted : 12/8/2013 12:01:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

3rdI wrote:
Indeed, the search is a wonderful functionSmile

I of course am a supporter of searching for an answer before asking for it, if everyone used the search function I bet Nexus posting regarding extractions would drop significantly (not necessarily a bad thing). The vast majority of questions regarding various aspect of STB and A/B extractions have been answered multiple times over. It might actually prove difficult to come up with a completely unique extraction question regarding an extraction of common source materials. Sometimes I get bored and I will spoonfeed some information to newbies, but I always try to include a link for further reading and stress that they should understand what is happening chemistry wise each step they take.

I hate it so much when people talk about following a "recipe"

tl;dr UTFSE

-BOFH