We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Sacredness is in the Eye of the Beholder Options

Entheogenerator
#1 Posted : 12/2/2013 8:58:43 PM

Homo discens

I wasn't exactly sure which subforum to post this article in, but I feel like this one is appropriate because the article describes different methods of utilizing psychedelics.

I thought this article would be appropriate to post here at The Nexus because I see a lot of people (myself included at times) leaning towards the elitist mindset that this article describes. I feel like the author makes some very intelligent points about the validity of recreational psychedelic use, from a viewpoint that I had hardly even considered before reading this.

Sacredness is in the Eye of the Beholder

Quote:
Now I’m a big fan of viewing psychedelics as sacraments, and I too have deep appreciation for both the chemicals and the long history of traditions surrounding their use. But that doesn’t mean such traditions should monopolize everyone’s attitudes and practices. No one knows what a particular drug is “meant for” or how it is “supposed to be used.” It’s the height of arrogance to claim knowledge of nature’s or God’s intentions, and we gain nothing by judging other people’s entheogenic journeys by our own deeply personal values.

Sacredness is inherently subjective; nothing is universally revered. A medicine or a ritual can only be sacred to someone. Amazonian shamans revere their psychoactive plants as wise spiritual teachers, so Mimosa bark and Caapi vines are sacred in their culture. But not in all cultures—the ayahuasqueros govern DMT use in their own thatched temples, not all over the globe. Likewise I am master of my bodily temple, but have no moral ground on which to judge the entheogenic habits of others. Recreational drug users are not profaning my gods or values, they’re just exploring their own psychedelic frontier. Maybe irreverently, maybe stupidly, but exploring all the same.

Consider Communion wafers. In the context of Holy Communion, they are revered as the sacramental body of Christ. But to me they’re just crackers. If I order a box and snack on them at home, who is harmed? Some Christians may be outraged, but that just betrays their hypersensitivity; when you’re upset because someone else is eating crackers, it’s time to reconsider the fervor with which you pursue your beliefs. That’s exactly how I view the “sacred molecule” zealots of the psychedelic community—well-meaning but smug. I want to shake them and say, “Chill out, pal! Not everyone shares your values, and that’s okay! Here—have some of these delicious unleavened crackers.”

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

expandaneum
#2 Posted : 12/2/2013 10:03:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nice article and regrettably all to true

especially this part i found strikingly in line with my thought on the subject.

Quote:
the long history of traditions surrounding their use. But that doesn’t mean such traditions should monopolize everyone’s attitudes and practices. No one knows what a particular drug is “meant for” or how it is “supposed to be used.” It’s the height of arrogance to claim knowledge of nature’s or God’s intentions, and we gain nothing by judging other people’s entheogenic journeys by our own deeply personal values.
Disclaimer:
All Expandeum's notes, messages, postings, ideas, suggestions, concepts or other material submitted via this forum and or website are completely fictional and are not in any way based on real live experience.

Entheogenerator
#3 Posted : 12/3/2013 1:16:28 AM

Homo discens

I felt the same way about that segment, expandaneum. Smile
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

inaniel
#4 Posted : 12/3/2013 5:52:18 AM

mas alla del mar

i can see how this can be true, but i don't necessarily agree with it. if being 'sacred' implies being more cautious and intelligent prior to usage, then i think there is definite place for that in the world of entheogens, especially with regards to drug interactions, such as those with certain meds and ayahuasca which can be potentially fatal.

i also think there is a lot to learn from cultures in the amazon who have successfully used the vine and dmt containing plants for thousands of years in the arts of healing, war, hunting, spiritual practices, etc. especially when one contrasts that with the history and use of psychadelics in the west. if a shaman is a model of behavior in the tribe, then a harvard employed Phd professor should have been in the west, and many believe his actions are ultimately what led to schedule 1 psychadelics. thousands of years of usage against the western 60's.

i think the analogy of communion wafers is poor too because a wafer doesn't profoundly alter brain chemistry in ways that can be harmful when not in the proper setting. eat all the wafers you want and feel god inside of you as a result, but you will never dissociate from such actions.

another example that comes to mind is the manner in which the mazatecs in mexico used salvia, quidding rather than smoking enhanced extracts. while i don't know first hand, i would have a hard time believing that these people were filming themselves jumping through windows amongst other genuinely unintelligent behavior. while i'm not saying that smoking salvia doesn't have positive benefits, i just see a trend, this non-sacred use and aforementioned behavior in the west yet again placed another plant in illegal status in certain states.

while these plants probably don't have a built in, specific use, in my opinion its probably best to follow their usage traditionally rather than in a non-sacred manner. the former tends to have positive, healing effects, the latter tends to get plants and substances banned. although i think what may be best is dropping words like sacred which tend to automatically put people off, instead replacing with something like 'intelligent' or 'cautious' use.

Entheogenerator
#5 Posted : 12/3/2013 10:03:53 AM

Homo discens

inaniel, I understand where you are coming from, but I feel like you are equating recreational use with irresponsible use. I feel obliged to acknowledge the fact that there are certainly a large number of people who use psychedelics recreationaly, but in a responsible and educated manner. I don't believe that the author was referring to caution and intelligence when he used the word "sacred". I got the impression that he was referring to people who use psychedelics strictly for spiritual purposes, like myself, but also feel that it is the only way to use them appropriately and respectfully. I don't think it would make any sense to replace the word "sacred" with the words "cautious" and "intelligent" in this context, because they have such tremendously different meanings and implications.

The author probably could have come up with a more accurate analogy than that of the communion wafer, I will give you that. Although I could go into how the communion wafer is an example of the ways in which the traditions and rituals of organized religion can significantly alter a person's brain chemistry and cause serious harm to their psyche to the point that they begin to dissociate from reality and reason... But I'd like to stay on topic rather than open that can of worms. Rolling eyes

Doodazzle
#6 Posted : 12/3/2013 1:06:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I read years ago that there are 3 different types of user:

The hard drug user, recreational user and the experimental user.

Recreational users are generally the most fun to be around, . They tend to haphazardly take a little bit of this, maybe a bit of that.... Comedic hyginks are common. Things occasionally go horribly wrong.

Experimental users talk about responsible use, use words like entheogen, say things like "set and setting", generally well-read on their drugs, and will have a scientific and/or spiritual curiosity. Almost everyone at the nexus, I'd hazard to say, certainly falls into the "experimental user" classification.

It's healthy for us experimental users to not be too judgmental. Also, it's fun to party sometimes.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.