We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Y Me no Shrooms? Options

Philosopher
#1 Posted : 11/20/2013 10:02:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Alright its been 2 weeks since I put my cakes in the chamber and I have no sign of pins yet... I tried to induce pinning by using a light, and Ive been fanning and misting daily. The mycelium is also fluffy and white, so it should be healthy.

The strain is Great White Monster
We are surprisingly similar.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Pup Tentacle
#2 Posted : 11/20/2013 10:53:34 PM

lettuce

a few photos would be helpful...

what's your ambient temp?
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Philosopher
#3 Posted : 11/21/2013 5:29:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

75 F. BRF
Philosopher attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (569kb) downloaded 168 time(s).

Pup Tentacle
#4 Posted : 11/21/2013 2:16:48 PM

lettuce

2 recommendations...

- 1/4" holes 2" apart on all 6 sides of the chamber.... perlite must be as damp as possible

- mist and fan as much as possible. You didn't say how many times a day, but the more the better. Water evaporation from the surface of the cake is THE BIGGEST pinning trigger
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Orion
#5 Posted : 11/21/2013 2:25:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

PF tek I assume? were the cakes dunked in water overnight before they were taken to fruiting ?
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Philosopher
#6 Posted : 11/21/2013 4:27:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks i didnt know that about evaporation causing pinning. Ya i dunked for 12 hrs. Also there is some weird bumps on one of my cakes. They used to be just white mycelium bumps now they look black.
image.jpg (1,878kb) downloaded 130 time(s).
image.jpg (1,585kb) downloaded 130 time(s).

Philosopher
#7 Posted : 11/21/2013 4:30:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

image.jpg (1,581kb) downloaded 128 time(s).

Orion
#8 Posted : 11/21/2013 8:43:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Okay my 2 cents so far would be to go crazy with the mister. The PF tek downplays moisture in my opinion. From your photos the cakes seem a little dry and this might be leading to parts of the mycelium dying off at the edge of the cakes as shown in your picture and possibly giving a place for contamination to take hold. Remove these parts with a clean blade and then I would get those cakes pretty much dripping with moisture, it does nothing but benefit them in my experience.

Regarding the moisture in the chamber in general, the walls of the chamber should be pretty fogged up with droplets forming and sometimes running down. It will only encourage them to fruit more.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Hyperdimensional Cuttlefish
#9 Posted : 11/23/2013 4:25:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I had a large tray that was kicking off large white coral like mycelial structures that you show in pic 1 of post #6. Turned out brown as you show in the following pics, but some HUGE specimens came up from different spots 4-5 days later with careful humidity control and mist/evap cycling.

I don't know the PF tek stuff or the shotgun chamber tuning thing, I go monotubs or trays. I could be totally off base in your situation. Good luck!!
All these posts are on behalf of Stimpy, my yellow bullhead. He is an adventurous fish, and I feel his exploits are worth sharing...so much so, I occasionally forget that HE is the one who does these things. Sometimes I get caught in the moment and write of his experiences in the first person; this is a mistake, for I am an upstanding citizen who never does wrong. Stimpy is the degenerate.

sauSage
#10 Posted : 11/24/2013 2:45:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

you need *way* more holes in your sgfc... start there...
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

Ancotar
#11 Posted : 11/25/2013 2:08:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would recommend getting a fish tank air pump (I got a 2000cc one at Walmart for around $10) and leave that on in your chamber. Or you can do as Pup and Paulsage suggested and add way more holes, but you still may be required to fan. In fact, even with my air pump running, I tend to fan out my chamber once or twice, even three times a day.

Another thing I noted too is instead of perlite, I am using the expanded clay pellets that you can use in hydroponics setup and they have worked great so far. The added benefit to this is I believe you can sterilize them in the oven or PC, but have not tried that yet whereas with perlite, you'll need to change it out after every fruiting operation.

My cakes took about 8 days before I was seeing any signs of pinning. The chamber is fairly small, so FAE is no issue. The expanded clay pellets take up about 2 inches of the bottom, with distilled water with a little hydrogen peroxide added to help combat any waterborne contaminants.

I'll include a pic here soon to show my example that seems to have been working. Also one more thing, while 75* F is definitely recommended, it is not uncommon for my place to drop down to 60 - 65* F during the day while I am at work and from what I can tell, they seem fine with this temperature range. Also, you mentioned that your myc is white and fluffy? It is definitely supposed to be a whitish color, but fluffy isn't really ideal, you want thick, strand-y mycelium, where it kinda looks like some kind of creature that is "grabbing" your cake with little white fingers of goodness. Fluffy tends to not produce the best fruits from what I have read so far.

Keep us posted on how it goes! Smile
"We speak of Time and Mind, which do not easily yield to catagories. We separate past and future and find that Time is an amalgam of both. We separate good and evil and find that Mind is an amalgam of both. To understand, we must grasp the whole." -Isaac Asimov

"You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger." -Buddha

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fear's path, and only I will remain." -Paul Atreides, while being tested with the Gom Jabbar by the Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

form is emptiness
#12 Posted : 11/25/2013 4:27:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The SGF chamber looks way too dry - some folk drape/stick a moist paper towel over the inner sides of the chamber - you want 90% to 100% humidity in there.

Yellow discoloration may be bacteria, and dark spots may be mold - both appear to be just on the surface of the cake - perhaps the cake itself is fine. A lightly sprayed dose of hydrogen peroxide may help.

Once, an experimental first grow explored both cakes and tubs in parallel. Tubs won.