We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
back from india Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 6/9/2009 8:17:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Im back!

After an odissey of scents, sights, tastes and sounds, near car crashes, high altitude trekking, colourful festivals, charas savouring, meeting locals and a number of undescribable experiences, im back to the relative (in?)sanity of the western world

My trip comprised of mostly travelling and trekking around small villages in the himalayas in the kullu and parvati valleys, and also to dharamsala where the dalai lama and most tibetan refugees live. I spent only a couple of days in the melting-hot 45 degrees madness of delhi, and that was more than enough!

Like an old friend said, india is not just a place you go, its an experience that changes you forever. This is not meant in the usual sense of a 'spiritual' india, where one meets gurus and comes back enlightened... No, not at all; one can see just as many examples of ignorance and lack of conscience as anywhere else.. But being immersed in a place full of so many contrasts, from heavenly landscapes to contaminating garbage, beautiful meaningful art to cheap souvenirs, abundance to inhumane poverty , genuine spirituality to supermarket of religions, when one puts all of this together, like a living zen koan or maybe just a brain short-circuit, one is force-reminded to be Aware, alive in the present moment, allowing for deep realization(s)... Or at least many marking moments and funny stories to tell the grandchildren in the future hehe

I wont tell the whole story as it would take endless pages, but i will paste an email ive sent to some friends and family, describing a couple of the days which were maybe the highlight of the trip for me... At the end I will post some pics that either me or my wife took, so if you are not in the mood for reading, skip to the end:

Quote:

hello everybody!

Hope you are all doing well!

I sure am... The last days have been some of the most incredible in my life! Im gonna try to pass a little of what happened with words, but as you know, it will never do complete justice to the actual events. But if it at least gives a little taste, and brings some wings to your imagination, then it was already worth writting

From Naggar, in Kullu, we took the 3hr local bus to the Parvati valley, more specifically Jari, from where one can go to the intriguing village of Malana. And as it couldnt have been otherwise, the bus ride was a whole story on its own: being the only foreigners, sitting next to charicature-like local characters and their ever surprising baggages (generators, construction materials, pots and pans, leaking gasoline containers and heaps more), driving through extremely narrow (but two-way) hole-filled roads, at one or two meters from certain death cliffs. All of this while some extremely funny music was blasting out of a pre-historic cassete sound system 'attached' to the bus.

It wasnt the first time I thought:" It seems like im in a movie or something", and it wouldnt be the last.

After arriving in Jari, and the usual mess to find a taxi and agree on a price, we continued to enter the malana valley, which is marked at its junction to the parvati valley by a very big dam (and its consequences to the landscape, nature and local inhabitants). But we were going further up, to malana, far from this construction's sight, and then even further...

From the entrance of the dam, was still another hour 'serpenting' the sharp twists and turns going up the mountain, passing by waterfalls and ever more dramatic mountains and cliffs.

With another small half-hour-up hike, this was the short way to the village. This new road reached this far only as recent as one or two years ago due to the necessity of transport of material from the dam project. Before, malana was only reacheable by a few different routes, all being several hours trekking, and it was through one of these long ways that we left.

But its not only the geographical position which made and make Malana have a different appeal. Also its peculiar (and disputed) history, along with high quality charas, make it a very interesting place to go to.

As far as the history and culture go, supposedly they are descendants of Alexander the Great and his army. They have an old independent democracy, own government and rules, own beliefs and chaste system. Their chaste system is such that anyone from outside is considered impure, so foreigners (or even locals of neighbouring villages) are not allowed to touch anybody, anybody's belongings or house, with the exception of the couple of guesthouses in the limits of the village, which are run by outsiders. To buy something, you say what you want, put the money on the floor, they put the product on the floor, and then each one gets their part. I guess you can imagine how weird but hypnotically interesting is the atmosphere of such place

As for the charas and the marijuana plants , they grow all around the surrounding valleys. It really does justice to being called weed, as it grows even around garbage, in front of police stations and so on. But the good plants are seeded and grown away from the main paths, in fertile and healthy patches of land on the high mountain slopes. Since rubbing season is october, now the plants were relatively small (though some of already 1-2m tall), but was nice to see anyways. The charas supply is plentiful all around, but most of what is sold is low quality, often mixed with natural and chemical adulterants of all kinds to make it seem good. One needs a propper contact or good luck to find the real cream.

The architecture, appart from the new houses built after the fire that some years ago consumed part of the village, is mostly traditional, with the houses built with alternating layers of stone and timber, and the typical slanted stone roof, which gives an interesting feeling to the place.

There were MANY kids running around. In one memorable scene, a big group of women in their traditional clothes, and their dirty kids, were looking at each other's hair for lice, and washing clothes on the steps of a stairway through which a little stream passed. As we came down the steps, the mothers, in a near-desperation, started shouting to the unnatented kids to get out of the way and take the clothes away from the steps so we wouldnt touch. As i said, strange, but interesting. It makes one feel a bit how it must be, to be one of the low chaste (or no-chaste 'untouchables'Pleased in the rest of hindu india.

We spent one night there, smoking and talking with A. , the owner of the guesthouse. He told us some very funny stories, and his general way of speaking and his expressions were hilarious.

We also talked to him about our trekking plans to a nearby village, and he suggested we instead take a longer way out of malana, passing through the beautiful 3700m high chandrakani pass, into the other side, to the kullu valley where we came from the day before. He also had a house there, where we could eat and rest when we arrived if we wanted. The description sounded perfect, so we went for it.

The next day, armed with muesli bars, cashew nuts and water, we started our journey. We knew malana was at 2700m, and that we had to go up to 3700 before going down to 2400.. Not easy on paper, and even worse in practice.

For he first two and a half hours, there was no horizontal walk.. Every single step was up. Of course this also meant that every step brought a more open and beautiful view, which helped motivating us. But after 3000m, one starts feeling there's less air, the heart beats faster to try to compensate, and the moments of rest seem to be insuficient to bring the breath back. But we moved on...

Finally we saw a U shapped part in the top of the mountain, with tibetan prayer flags hanging across it, like a spiritual portal to another dimension. And what a dimension! Sure, it wasnt even half the way, but was basically the end of the going up. This was chandrakani!

As we crossed this 'portal', one of the most incredible views i have ever seen opened up before my eyes: on one side, where we came from, the steep, narrow, lush green malana valley and the parvati valley behind it. On the other side, the open, wide, more populated kullu valley. Behind us, a majestic chain of several snow peaks reaching 6000m+. In front, our aimed direction, an amazing grassy long ridge along the top of the mountain, with ups and downs like a chamel's back. We were above the tree line, and eagles flew around us catching the thermal currents. It felt like the top of the world! There was even some snow were we were, so it was quite cold, probably just a bit over 0°c.

But that was not all... A huge storm was approaching from the snow peaks! With the afternoon sun shining through occasional cloud holes and hitting the snow peaks, and the sudden spark of massive lightnings contrasting against the dark grey cumulus nimbus, it was a joint vision of heaven and hell! At near 4000m, with no more trees around, being the tallest objects in the vicinity, this was not the place to be during a thunder storm, unless the plan was to become shiva barbecue Smile

A mixture of feelings and sensations arouse in me, from fear of the storm, to complete awe with the surroundings, hunger, tiredness, happiness to be alive, etc etc.

We had to get out of there, find some cover in case the storm catched up to us. Haze started falling, so we hurriedly found a small cave where we waited a bit. A sheppherd that was nearby joined us in silence. Luckily the gods smiled in our favour and the wind changed direction, taking the storm to the malana valley on our left, leaving us only it's tail with small drops, and a beautiful view.

Walking along this ridge before going down to kullu was amazing! There were some rectangular stones sticking out of the ground, which reminded me at the same time of stone henge, and also of tomb stones in a cemetery. All over there were stone piles, and also there was a little temple-like circle with some objects in the center, some cloths, drawn symbols, etc. It all gave the place a very strong, eery but also positive 'spiritual' atmosphere.

You know how people always have these tales of places with a special 'energy' and blablabla. Well I usually dont believe these kinds of talk, but I must say if such things exist, then this place must definitely be one of them. One can easily imagine some powerful rituals happening there.

All the time I was having the feeling of really exploring the world, getting away from the tourist path. In fact, we only met three shepperds in the whole way, and for nearly all the way there was no single piece of plastic or other litter (which is always so common in india).

After this there were still many hours to go (a total of 8, for the whole trip). Apparently some people make it in two steps, camping on the way, but we went straight. From chandrakani we began our descent, first through open fields, (as I mentioned we were above the tree line), and then down through beautiful forests, decorated with all kinds of (at least for me) unusual vegetation.

About an hour and a half before arriving, we passed a little stone-built shack, which was made as a base by two semi-nomadic shepperds. They invited us to have a tea, so we went in. It was not more than 2x4m and 1,5m tall, so one had to crawl in. They didnt speak english and we didnt speak their language, but our mutual smiles and gestures were sufficient. We had our tea, thanked them, and continued the last part of our journey.

We finally arrived in A. 's house (the owner of the malana guesthouse, which had come the other shorter way around). We were greeted by his sweet children, and enjoyed the view from the beautiful wooden porch with hammocks, overlooking the kullu vallley and the Beas river. His wife prepared us a wonderful spicy meal with chapati (bread), which we proceeded to eat the local way, with hands. A few more charas grams went up in smoke as we all talked and laughed together.

But we still had to go, meet some other friends in a nearby town. A. called us a taxi, and we were sure our adventure was already over, but india loves to surprise people. We had arrived from the forest, so we had no idea the road conditions and how far it would be.

A. decided to come with us, as he also had to meet someone there. A's friend also decided to come, for no specific reason... So we all squeezed in the crappy 'taxi' and off we went

The driver had said 600 rupees (a little less than 10 euro)... But the road was no road, it was some freshly opened dirt track, full of holes and stones. In the first 10 mins, im sure only the damage to the suspension and bottom of the car already costed more than that... But this india, many things dont make sense.

In the middle of the way, we passed by A.'s cousin walking on the road, and he decided to join us. So we squeeze a bit more and continue, with the car shaking like a mixer at max speedwhile the taxi driver puts at top volume some weird mix of electronic music and traditional hindi singing... All of this with A.', talking "out of his elbows" about all and everything... Overload of stimulus... So you can imagine our amazement when we passed by two other relatives of A. , and they were looking at the car's trunk to see if two more would fit in that mess! Fortunately they decided otherwise...

And you think its over? I also thought so... But there was still the episode when the car started stinking VERY strongly of gasoline. I asked A. about it, and he exchanged a few words with the driver, turned back to me and calmly said, as if it was the most normal thing in the world: "The gasoline must be leaking". So he turned and continued talking about something else, completely ignoring the nauseating smell. For them it must be like this... If it hasnt blown up yet, then its perfect, no worries.... Haha

So after 1,5 hours of dodging stones, holes, dogs, cows, children and a varied assortment of other obstacules, we finally arrived... It was quite a memorable marathon. We went straight to sleep, after this long day that i will never forget!

Now here are some pics, of these and other places we visited during our short but busy month in india.

Comments and questions are most welcome!

Tosh Village in the Parvati Valley

Little charas man also wants to vaporize

On the way from Tosh to Khirganga hotsprings

Goats in Rudranag (still on the way)

The gnomes were probably just around the corner

Happy Kids

Khirganga Hotsprings, where Shiva is said to have meditated for thousands of years

Sunset at Khirganga

Wild Ganja somewhere in the Kullu Valley

Kutla

Pine Forest

Naggar Mella Festival

Malana, architecture and people

Snake Cammouflage

Chandrakani Pass and around

(later or tomorrow I post more pics, there are plenty... but that was enough work for now hehe... )

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SWIMfriend
#2 Posted : 6/9/2009 8:52:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow! Beautiful pics! Glad you're back!

soulman
#3 Posted : 6/9/2009 9:20:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, some great shots there.
Thanks for sharing brother.
You have to go within or you go without

ZaZen
#4 Posted : 6/9/2009 9:24:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well spoken, thank you for this mind blowing report and your pictures are so beautifull, great !

Seems you`re traveling much, i remember earlier posts of you from Brazil, later Europe... now you have been in india, i`m happy for you Smile !

Tha charas man is a nice piece of art, funny !

dankoni
#5 Posted : 6/9/2009 10:30:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome pics! I envy your experience.

antrocles
#6 Posted : 6/9/2009 11:25:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

WOW! JUST WOW!!!!

i do NOT envy your experience....for it was MY experience too....just THROUGH YOU! Very happy

thank you for having that epic experience for us all!!! and welcome back brother!

LOVE AND GRATITUDE!!
"Rise above the illusion of time and you will have tomorrow's
wisdom today."

970Codfert
#7 Posted : 6/10/2009 12:04:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow! How awesome! I am supremely inspired right now. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, the pictures are breathtaking. Did you plan out the whole trip yourself???
All posts are fictional.

amor_fati
#8 Posted : 6/10/2009 12:19:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Welcome back! Great photos! A lot has gone on since your departure, as you have certainly noticed.

damiana
#9 Posted : 6/10/2009 2:10:57 AM

Cosmic Dragon

beautiful place, I would love to visit one day. What an experience that must have been. Welcome back.
PEACE

endlessness
#10 Posted : 6/10/2009 9:43:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

dankoni wrote:
Awesome pics! I envy your experience.

soulman wrote:
Yeah, some great shots there.
Thanks for sharing brother.

SWIMfriend wrote:
Wow! Beautiful pics! Glad you're back!

Thanks a lot guys! I hoped you guys would enjoy it Smile

ZaZen wrote:
Well spoken, thank you for this mind blowing report and your pictures are so beautifull, great !

Seems you`re traveling much, i remember earlier posts of you from Dreamland, later Europe... now you have been in india, i`m happy for you Smile !

Tha charas man is a nice piece of art, funny !

yeah I love traveling, definitely one of my favourite things to do! I am quite low profile in my daily life, dont go out much except for friends' houses or nature, dont drink and so on, so Im always saving money for my travels... it has definitely been worth it Smile

haha yeah charas man was pure bored stoner's humour, in a day where I had to stay in the guesthouse because my belly was not so good Very happy

antrocles wrote:
WOW! JUST WOW!!!!

i do NOT envy your experience....for it was MY experience too....just THROUGH YOU! Very happy

thank you for having that epic experience for us all!!! and welcome back brother!

LOVE AND GRATITUDE!!

Im glad you could experience it by reflection, I was hoping for that Smile Thank you Smile

970Codfert wrote:
Wow! How awesome! I am supremely inspired right now. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, the pictures are breathtaking. Did you plan out the whole trip yourself???

Well me, my wife and my brother in law had an idea of the areas we were going, but most of it in the end was quite improvised, going with the flow, listening to locals and recommendations of travelers we met.

amor_fati wrote:
Welcome back! Great photos! A lot has gone on since your departure, as you have certainly noticed.

yes, indeed seems so! I saw a lot of drama, but also seems like advances in the natural extractions area? Good you guys kept the good work up Smile

damiana wrote:
beautiful place, I would love to visit one day. What an experience that must have been. Welcome back.

If you or anybody else does plan on going there, do contact me and Ill give some more in depth tips Smile

Now a few more pics:

Tosh viewed from far

Beautiful flowers in one of the guesthouses we stayed in

Cultivated terraces in some Kullu Valley village

Mr Cleanliness himself

Monks in Dalai Lama temple

The Karmapa

More of Chandrakani

Traditional Weaving

Shapes

Malana sunset goat

Chai (tea) with old shepherd

Tosh River

I'll try (one of many funny signs in india)

more to come later (if you guys are bored or dont want more pics please tell me and I stop posting)

Drake
#11 Posted : 6/10/2009 10:04:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
The gnomes were probably just around the corner

I love all of them pictures of the mountain range and forests! ITS BREATHTAKING! But this is one of my favorite pics here, my type of humor Smile Wink .

I am so happy you have came back with these wonderful pictures! Many people have no idea or forget what type of beauty there is in this world! Sometimes I think the best thing for a depressed person to do, is go to someplace like this, and see the wonderful terrain! Cannot tell me just looking at these photos, that it dose not give you a warm feeling.
How To Stop a Nightmare
Insanty at its finest!
The Dark reaches of The Void are there. But it is not to be feared.

Danza
#12 Posted : 6/10/2009 10:52:21 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Stunning stuff!! Thank you very much for sharing all of this!

â—‹
#13 Posted : 6/10/2009 3:07:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Wow man! Just wow! It's like everyone here is getting a full experience through your pictures. I'm the same way though...don't go out at all usually, might go to a few friends now n' again, and I SAVE SAVE SAVE my money....particularly for stuff like this!

I do have a few questions regarding your trip though:

1) What was the total cost for you to go including flight?

2) Was this a package deal through a certain website/company? And if so could you PM me a link? Smile
Thanks brother!

AWESOME PICTURES THOUGH...JUST AWESOME

COMPASSION AND RESPECT

Aegle
#14 Posted : 6/10/2009 3:30:44 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Wow Endlessness

Amazing pictures and thank you for sharing with us, it truly just took me back when i went to India for spiritual practice some years ago and gave me shivers as all the memories flooded back. Its amazing how India stays in your blood once you have been. I would love to go back that's for sure and check out Dharamsala in the mountains as well as the Himalayas. Again thank you so much for sharing with us Endlessness I can see from your pictures that you had an amazing and colorful journey. I really love the pictures you took of the Monks and their monastery truly beautiful. Have you been to Bodh Gaya that's where i went to stay in a monastery for a month with my mom and sister to receive teachings its truly a magical place with the Bodhi Tree in the Mahabodhi Temple. I highly recommend that you journey there next time if you haven't been. Is Malana in the North East of India, how far is it from Bodh Gaya which is also in the North East of India do you know by any chance it looks like such an awesome place Endlessness. Wow you saw the Karmapa he was staying at the monastery i was staying at in Bodh Gaya i received meditation teachings from him hes an incredible person so wise at such a young age i think hes in his twenty's like me, he carries himself with such grace, wisdom and kindness an absolute inspiration as a young man. Again thank you for sharing Endlessness it is greatly appreciated and i would love to see all the beautiful photos that you took. Very happy

Much Peace and Compassion
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

endlessness
#15 Posted : 6/10/2009 3:57:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Drake wrote:

I love all of them pictures of the mountain range and forests! ITS BREATHTAKING! But this is one of my favorite pics here, my type of humor Smile Wink .

I am so happy you have came back with these wonderful pictures! Many people have no idea or forget what type of beauty there is in this world! Sometimes I think the best thing for a depressed person to do, is go to someplace like this, and see the wonderful terrain! Cannot tell me just looking at these photos, that it dose not give you a warm feeling.

haha glad you like the humour also!

Definitely the world has a lot of beauty, and I do think that traveling could many times be a great tool against depression Smile

The trick is to try to use the negative aspects of the world, and turn them into teachings, into something that gives us strenght instead of putting us down, into reminders to truly enjoy the moments when we are fortunate to be experiencing the good parts... Its not always easy but its definitely something to strive for.

Danza wrote:
Stunning stuff!! Thank you very much for sharing all of this!

DMTtripn2Space wrote:
Wow man! Just wow! It's like everyone here is getting a full experience through your pictures. I'm the same way though...don't go out at all usually, might go to a few friends now n' again, and I SAVE SAVE SAVE my money....particularly for stuff like this!

I do have a few questions regarding your trip though:

1) What was the total cost for you to go including flight?

2) Was this a package deal through a certain website/company? And if so could you PM me a link? Smile
Thanks brother!

AWESOME PICTURES THOUGH...JUST AWESOME

COMPASSION AND RESPECT

Its wonderful to come across nice pictures of different places and good travel reports, so I felt almost obliged to try to share with you as best as I could this great experience I had. Its good to know that its appreciated Smile Im sure many of you guys also must have some good pictures and stories, so feel free to post here or open new threads about it in the hyperspace tavern section Wink

As for your question... Total of 900 euros for a month traveling including return ticket a country-delhi. The ticket itself was about 430 euro, the cheapest deal I found and it limited to 1 month (which is also why I stayed so little time). We only decided really going a few weeks before, so maybe with more time in advance, one could get better deals (or similar prices for longer-stay tickets). Its important to remember that india's seasons are well marked, so one has to check where he wants to go and what are the best seasons. Where we went, from april to end of june and from end of august to mid november are the best times. Monsoon is too wet, and winter is too cold.

It was not a package deal, the information of places was internet researched or local/traveler tips, and the ticket bought straight from the airline's website..

Any more questions, feel free to ask Smile

And here is a few more pictures.. Maybe I stop with them.

Market scene

Malana (on the top right)

Goat action

More crazy shapes

Nice painted stone buddhist altar

Street scene

Entrance of the Norbulingka Institute (very nice organization aimed at preserving traditional tibetan arts)

Family

And now a couple of panoramas I stitched together.. Clickable link because it would not fit well in the forum page.

They were both taken from the Chandrakani Pass, which I described in the first post.

The Kullu side

and the Parvati side

ohayoco
#16 Posted : 6/10/2009 11:42:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Awesome! You're quite the photographer. Wow. Glad you have fun. I love the little stones poking out of the cliff. And I want that woman's headscarf.
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

970Codfert
#17 Posted : 6/11/2009 3:25:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Amazing pictures! I'd really like to go there someday!
All posts are fictional.

endlessness
#18 Posted : 6/11/2009 3:40:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aegle wrote:
Wow Endlessness

Amazing pictures and thank you for sharing with us, it truly just took me back when i went to India for spiritual practice some years ago and gave me shivers as all the memories flooded back. Its amazing how India stays in your blood once you have been. I would love to go back that's for sure and check out Dharamsala in the mountains as well as the Himalayas. Again thank you so much for sharing with us Endlessness I can see from your pictures that you had an amazing and colorful journey. I really love the pictures you took of the Monks and their monastery truly beautiful. Have you been to Bodh Gaya that's where i went to stay in a monastery for a month with my mom and sister to receive teachings its truly a magical place with the Bodhi Tree in the Mahabodhi Temple. I highly recommend that you journey there next time if you haven't been. Is Malana in the North East of India, how far is it from Bodh Gaya which is also in the North East of India do you know by any chance it looks like such an awesome place Endlessness. Wow you saw the Karmapa he was staying at the monastery i was staying at in Bodh Gaya i received meditation teachings from him hes an incredible person so wise at such a young age i think hes in his twenty's like me, he carries himself with such grace, wisdom and kindness an absolute inspiration as a young man. Again thank you for sharing Endlessness it is greatly appreciated and i would love to see all the beautiful photos that you took. Very happy

Hey Smile

As with all, thanks for the nice words. Indeed its such an experience!

But no I havent been to Bodh Gaya... Would love to someday... I am not sure exactly how far it is from the places I went.. Bodh Gaya is in Bihar, and I went to Himachal Pradesh.. Kullu, for example, a more or less central point there, is about 12 hours by bus from Delhi. Dharamsala and Mcleod Ganj are more to the west, also about 12 hours by bus from Delhi (or 7hrs train + 4hrs bus, as I went). And they are some 8 hours by bus from Kullu. Malana is from kullu, by the short way, 2,5 hrs bus, 1,5 hrs taxi and half hour walk.

I did not have the opportunity to listen to the karmapa.. This was in a football championship of the tibetan refugees from all around india, and he went to watch the opening game, passing by where we were sitting. He has his monastery there in Mcleod, where he does his teachings on wednesdays I think, but we unfortunately missed it.

I do not follow buddhism, though I appreciate a lot of what it teaches in its essence, as with all genuine spiritual traditions. In any case it was very nice to get to know some more about the tibetan situation, as well as experiencing the beauty of their art, observing the difference between them and the indians, and so on. Smile

Seven
#19 Posted : 6/11/2009 5:29:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

wow just beautiful!! so many breathtaking pictures. I need to get out of this country sometime in my life!
The universe is an infinite harmony of vibrating beings in an elaborate range of expansion-contraction ratios, frequency modulations, and so forth.

Aegle
#20 Posted : 6/12/2009 11:21:22 AM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

endlessness wrote:
Aegle wrote:
Wow Endlessness

Hey Smile

As with all, thanks for the nice words. Indeed its such an experience!

But no I havent been to Bodh Gaya... Would love to someday... I am not sure exactly how far it is from the places I went.. Bodh Gaya is in Bihar, and I went to Himachal Pradesh.. Kullu, for example, a more or less central point there, is about 12 hours by bus from Delhi. Dharamsala and Mcleod Ganj are more to the west, also about 12 hours by bus from Delhi (or 7hrs train + 4hrs bus, as I went). And they are some 8 hours by bus from Kullu. Malana is from kullu, by the short way, 2,5 hrs bus, 1,5 hrs taxi and half hour walk.

I did not have the opportunity to listen to the karmapa.. This was in a football championship of the tibetan refugees from all around india, and he went to watch the opening game, passing by where we were sitting. He has his monastery there in Mcleod, where he does his teachings on wednesdays I think, but we unfortunately missed it.

I do not follow buddhism, though I appreciate a lot of what it teaches in its essence, as with all genuine spiritual traditions. In any case it was very nice to get to know some more about the tibetan situation, as well as experiencing the beauty of their art, observing the difference between them and the indians, and so on. Smile

The Tibetans are one of the most beautiful cultures on earth, even if you don't follow Buddhism they can bring such warmth and compassion into ones life. I remember all the monks in India that i met were so warm and very child like which is such a beautiful quality to have its really a true pure innocence. I also traveled from Delhi by train to Gaya and then took a taxi to Bodh Gaya. Again thank you for sharing your experience and posting such amazing photos this thread has really giving a very clear window for us to peer through and appreciate your journey. Very happy

Much Peace
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

12NEXT