We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
openEEG Options

Infectedstyle
#1 Posted : 11/3/2013 1:51:39 PM
I compulsively post from time to time

http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/

While discussing Luci apparatus someone pointed me to this project. Iamcoder developed software to detect REM sleep. Give audio signals. And was able to communicate with the hardware by signalling morse code while IN a lucid dream!

I am intrigued. The issue is, that this website i linked has a lot of dead links. Anyone know how accessible it is to use this hardware? I am a total noob.

Anyone tried this at home? I am thinking doing experiments with DMT, Serotonin, LSD and brainwave entrainment. I just want to know if it's worth the investment, and want to share this with you guys. It will probably be an expensive hobby! lol.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

The Neural
#2 Posted : 11/3/2013 5:21:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Judging by the approach as described in the site, I can point out a couple of things that may be worrisome.

1. Custom made EEG sounds very risky, not health-wise, but in terms of feasibility. You might end up with very weak electrodes that pick up signals filled with noise and artifacts.

2. You really need to spend precious time to understand the brain map available for EEG recordings and how to make inferences on the results as depicted by the respective software. Unless you are at least at a subjective "intermediate" level of understanding of EEG techniques and methods, then this point stands.

3. And unless you are fully aware of the limitations of using EEG data to answer specific questions I'd advise you to look into that as well. If you're looking for brain waves only, waves that can tell you if the user is in an REM state, an alert state, an epileptic state etc., then EEG can help you with that. It does not go any further than that I'm afraid.

I have the feeling that you got overexcited by the mention of morse code while in a dream state. I am completely unaware of the experiment and it would be nice if you could provide a link or more details on it. It strikes me as odd that someone could provide decipherable afferent information through such a restrictive range of voltages. Was his input recorded by tapping fingers, or from "inside" the dream?

What you don't understand, you can make mean anything. - Chuck P.

Disclaimer and clarification: This member has been having brief intermittent spells of inattention. It looks as if he is daydreaming in place. During those distracting moments, he automatically generates fictional content, and asks about it in this forum for feedback. He has a lot of questions, and is a pain in the arse.

corpus callosum
#3 Posted : 11/3/2013 5:52:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

The Neural wrote:
3. And unless you are fully aware of the limitations of using EEG data to answer specific questions I'd advise you to look into that as well. If you're looking for brain waves only, waves that can tell you if the user is in an REM state, an alert state, an epileptic state etc., then EEG can help you with that. It does not go any further than that I'm afraid.

I agree with this; the idea of brainwaves etc sounds great but the EEG is really a pretty limited tool outside of certain situations. Clinically the use of it remains useful but it is in reality a pretty crude implement.Bear in mind that it records the sum of action potentials from the surface of the brain and cannot assess the deeper structures and the major part of the frontal lobes (the medial parts), where the interesting brain processes occur, cannot be reached from surface recordings.

Deep brain surgically implanted electrodes are what you need ( Thumbs up ) but probably not recommended in ones bedroom!
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

The Neural
#4 Posted : 11/3/2013 6:23:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Btw, if you really feel the need to mess with your brain safely and legally, keep an eye out for these.

http://www.foc.us/

Disclaimer and clarification: This member has been having brief intermittent spells of inattention. It looks as if he is daydreaming in place. During those distracting moments, he automatically generates fictional content, and asks about it in this forum for feedback. He has a lot of questions, and is a pain in the arse.

universecannon
#5 Posted : 11/3/2013 6:29:30 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Yeah EEG does paint a very limited picture. But I'd also love to see this story about morse code in the dream being detected.

For me it would be very interesting to have a device like this, if only to use it to as a method to deepen relaxation/meditation. I've read reports of people using it as a biofeedback device or tool to observe while deepening their state of relaxation. Apparently learning to relax your mental state is made way easier when your getting this kind of constant readout. Some people have claimed some very interesting benefits through this.

I think i recall Dr. Les Fehmi being one of the pioneers of biofeedback research, and they found that by using such techniques they became more relaxed, at ease, and centered...They said it worked so well that physical changes occurred too (something possible in meditation. For example its been shown to be very good with back problems). He said that his severe long term arthritis in his hands disappeared and his vision and sense of smell were enhanced. He became firmly convinced that this was the way life was meant to be. The body works so much more efficiently when we can get into these deep relaxed states.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Infectedstyle
#6 Posted : 11/3/2013 6:30:10 PM

http://lsdbase.org/
http://www.lucid-code.com/
http://www.youtube.com/w...UUB3UFB4Wcdq8jgmhDyp7ncg

Ugh, i posted a coherent response but pressed F5. I was wrong about the morse code. Reading the video description it makes mention of eye blinks but nothing about being in a lucid dream, Apologies. I believe doing it in dreams is the goal though! Embarrased

The websites are from Iamcoder, I think. There are some things there that interest me. Especially the headband he made. But i admit, i have a hard time getting anything significant from looking at the EEG data. Check it out, maybe you can find something of interest.

I am not quite interested in sending codes back and forth with the machine. The general idea i was having is training myself to get into certain brainwaves. Hopefully get myself into an altered state in which i can perhaps do some self-suggestion. I would like to look at how my brain operates on dreams. An idea popped in my head to get myself in similar states while awake. And learn to memorize this state as the dream-state in hopes that this will transfer over to dreams and trigger lucidity.

As for research, i am thinking of trying to find correlations and differences with serotonin, lsd, dmt. See what brainwaves emit when hallucinating. etc. Just for curiosity's sake. I will leave the actual research to the professionals Razz

Do you guys think there is any chance of success to my idea? To be honest, i have not find any data of anyone using these things that are remotely close to what i was thinking of.

Infectedstyle
#7 Posted : 11/3/2013 6:36:10 PM

Thanks for the useful feedback. Appreciate it.
If it does turn out i can make this work. I would like to make a manual for other people to enter trance-state. Hopefully make some money (in an honest way) to be perfectly honest. Razz

The Neural
#8 Posted : 11/3/2013 6:45:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infectedstyle wrote:

As for research, i am thinking of trying to find correlations and differences with serotonin, lsd, dmt. See what brainwaves emit when hallucinating. etc. Just for curiosity's sake. I will leave the actual research to the professionals Razz

Do you guys think there is any chance of success to my idea? To be honest, i have not find any data of anyone using these things that are remotely close to what i was thinking of.

Here's one : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....pmc/articles/PMC1874340/

Full use of EEG on subjects under administration of DMT & beta carbolines.

I relate with your curiosity, but I'd like to point out that even after you acquire the EEG data under a specific state, and you can clearly see the voltage differences from one state (e.g. DMT) to sobriety and to another (e.g. LSD), they won't have any actual meaning to interpret. A kind of "oh, it's 3 with DMT, 72 sober, and 6.6 with LSD" so to speak. What next?

Take this as a cautionary input on the money and time you're gonna invest, not a discouragement. I applaud the desire to learn new skills (especially technical) and an interest in attempting to answer specific questions. Which is why I prod you to actually formulate a bunch of very specific questions first, backed up by solid methodology, to see if such an endeavour can pay off in the end.

P.S. you're much more spot on with the idea of biofeedback, in terms of usefulness, at least personal. I cannot comment reliably on your goal for a source of income, regardless of the amount.

Infectedstyle
#9 Posted : 11/3/2013 6:53:50 PM

Thanks a lot. I will spend the next month considering sleeping on the floor this christmas.