We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Alkaloids and corresponding solvents. Options

soulfood
#1 Posted : 6/6/2009 10:28:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Hi folks.

After a little searching here and there for the solubility profile for 5-meo-dmt I was wondering if we have a list of the most popular alkaloids, their different states (i.e freebase, fumerate, what have you) and what solvents they are soluble in.

I've seen various bits about solubility here and there but I can't recall ever seeing all that information in the same place. I was wondering if we could compile something like that to place in the wiki. If one already exists, great! Where is it? Otherwise I think it would be a really good idea.

If no one has done this yet I'll get started on it right away. I'm pretty clued up on solubility of DMT, Harmalas, Bufotenine and mescaline, but things like 5-meo-dmt, LSA, psilocybin and Salvorin-A I'm clueless about.

So yeah! Either point me in the right direction or fill in what you know Smile

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

burnt
#2 Posted : 6/7/2009 11:42:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

SWIM also thinks this is a very good idea. Ron69 made some nice summaries of a few compounds solubility profiles but its scattered over a number of threads. If we can compile those and others like it, it would be very helpful.

Phlux-
#3 Posted : 6/7/2009 11:53:01 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

very very good idea to have this all together in one place.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

geeg30
#4 Posted : 6/7/2009 9:32:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know salvinorin likes acetone, preferably chilled to about -20F. This is just as soluble at this temp as at room temp but not for the fats and extras. You can use methanol, ethanol and also IPA but Salv A is not as soluble in these.
As for Psilo I have heard that Ethanol, Methanol and Vinegar are used to good effect.
Here you!!! Gonnaenodaethat

"Iceberg???? - What Iceberg????"

Phlux-
#5 Posted : 6/7/2009 10:04:39 PM

The Root

Perhaps a more structure approach is needed here something like this

DMT - N,N-Dimethyltryptamine

Freebase Form

Slightly Soluble in :-

Heptane

Soluble in :-

Naptha

Very Soluble in :-

D-Limonene
Xylene
Tolulene
Acetone

Fumarate(Only Dry Salt form of DMT)

Very Soluble in :-

Water

Insoluble in :-

Acetone
antrocles wrote:

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:

Quote:

narmz
#6 Posted : 6/7/2009 10:12:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Freebase DMT is soluble in IPA, not sure about fumarate, though it would be good to know, cause SWIM is looking for a way to clean up fumarate that doesn't involve acetone.
Everything I post is made up fiction. SWIM represents a character who is not based in or on reality.

Phlux-
#7 Posted : 6/7/2009 10:17:56 PM

The Root

look at this thread - Fasa Alteration of final purification - http://www.dmt-nexus.me/...posts&t=4516&p=1

it doesnt use acetone and could work better than acetone washes.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

narmz
#8 Posted : 6/7/2009 10:25:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM attempted that once, and went from solid fumarate, to a yellow goop. Has never had success crystallizing fumarate out of water. SWIM was also not sure if that method would actually purify the product, or just result in nicer looking crystals. Would the water actually remove impurities in the fumarate?

UPDATE: when SWIM initially followed this tech, he missed the part about using a small amount of water, and most likely used far too much. This tech relies on the solubility of fumaric acid in water being lower than the solubility of DMT fumarate in water, and so the amount of water is most likely critical to the success of the tech. SWIM will have to give this another go and see what results.
Everything I post is made up fiction. SWIM represents a character who is not based in or on reality.

freethinker
#9 Posted : 6/9/2009 11:01:53 PM
DMT-Nexus member

This would be a very handy reference.

Co-incidentally, I logged in today to see if I could find some info about solubility of thh and harmaline in cleanly evaporating solvents other than acetone which neither of those seem very soluble in.

*off to post in the changa thread*

All posts by this author are blatant plagiarisms, fictitious inventions, and outright lies.

soulfood
#10 Posted : 6/9/2009 11:35:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm going start putting local information here starting with:

http://www.dmt-nexus.me/....aspx?g=posts&t=3053

69ron wrote:

Freebase Bufotenine Solubility
Acetone @ 20 C: soluble (5 g/100 ml)
Chloroform @ 20 C: soluble
Dichloromethane @ 20 C: soluble
Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) @ 20 C: soluble (6 g/100 ml)
D-Limonene (Orange Oil) @ 20 C: insoluble
D-Limonene (Orange Oil) @ 176 C: soluble (more than 1.7 g/100 ml)
Ethanol @ 20 C: soluble
Ether @ 20 C: soluble
Ethyl acetate @ 20 C: soluble
Heptane @ 20 C: insoluble
Heptane with 40% MEK @ 20 C: soluble (0.53 g/100 ml)
Heptane with 50% MEK @ 20 C: soluble (1.22 g/100 ml)
IPA @ 20 C: soluble
MEK @ 20 C: soluble
Methanol @ 20 C: soluble
Naphtha @ 20 C: insoluble
Water @ 20 C: nearly insoluble in pure water (no acid or alkali added)
Xylene @ 20 C: nearly insoluble (less than 0.03 g/100 ml)
Xylene @ 144 C: soluble (1.5 g/100 ml)

I like this level of detail. Just what we need.

I think it's also been confirmed that bufotenine is soluble in limonene at 150C?

I'm thinking when we finally get all this compiled we can format it as a grid with substances along the top, solvents down the side and amount soluble in 100ml in the corresponding box rather than a simple yes or no(unless unknown amount soluble but we can do our tests in good time). That way it should be much easier to refer to than lists.

freethinker
#11 Posted : 6/10/2009 12:28:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Agreed on the matrix format. Good idea.

FYI, posted a question which your harmala solubility knowledge could help out on. It's in the Changa thread here:
http://www.dmt-nexus.me/...ts&m=61059#post61059

Any input would be appreciated.

Re: psilocybin, not very scientific info but apparently highly sweetened water (with sugar) as well as honey both leach psilocybin out of slightly dried fresh mushrooms very effectively. Was informed of a fantastic method called blue honey recently (soaking slightly dried fresh mushrooms in honey to extract psilocybin, then eating the honey). I have never heard of this before, any mushroom heads here do this?

All posts by this author are blatant plagiarisms, fictitious inventions, and outright lies.

amor_fati
#12 Posted : 6/10/2009 12:32:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You should post links directly to the posts while you're at it. I'll take care of getting some pages up when I get a chance. Here's a related article: https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/XlogP

benzyme
#13 Posted : 6/10/2009 1:45:12 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

^^ all you really need, unless you're going to do chromatography with a binary solvent mixture
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

soulfood
#14 Posted : 6/10/2009 9:42:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
^^ all you really need, unless you're going to do chromatography with a binary solvent mixture

Using this theory is it also possible to work out how much substance shall be soluble in the solvent in question?

Also I've heard that there are exceptions to XlogP's and that it's not 100% reliable for all substances. Does anyone know if any of these anomolies are relative to any psychedelics? If so which ones?

benzyme
#15 Posted : 6/10/2009 9:50:26 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

using an xlogp is actually quite relevant, since it's a function of hydrophilicity vs. hydrophobicity.
and yes, it is possible to use the theory to predict how much solute will be soluble in a given solvent, it just takes a bit of math

some molecular vis progs will actually highlight the part of the molecule which is solvent accessible; for instance, dmt and psilocin would both have the benzopyrrole ring highlighted. due to the relative nonpolarity of the ring structure, they lend themselves well to nonpolar solvents with similar structure, like toluene.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

69ron
#16 Posted : 6/10/2009 10:17:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

soulfood wrote:
Also I've heard that there are exceptions to XlogP's and that it's not 100% reliable for all substances. Does anyone know if any of these anomolies are relative to any psychedelics? If so which ones?

Yes. Take a look at mescaline and then bufotenine. Mescaline is soluble in room temperature xylene and d-limonene while bufotenine is not. The XLogP3 of mescaline is 0.7 (PubChem). The XLogP3 of bufotenine is 1.2 (PubChem). According to their XLogP3 data, mescaline should be more polar than bufotenine and yet bufotenine is insoluble in room temperature xylene and d-limonene while mescaline is soluble in them. It's the complete opposite of what the XLogP3 predicts.

All of these mathematical prediction schemes are flawed. ALL OF THEM. The current understanding of chemistry is also flawed. That's why even experts argue about how to make a new compound with new reactions not previously known.

It's not yet an exact science. Not all variables are completely understood. If they were, you'd be able to predict all chemical reactions exactly using a computer program but you cannot. Because of this even the top chemists of the world make predictions that turn out wrong. Trial and error are the best bet. Chemical theories only get you so far and the rest is trial and error.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Phlux-
#17 Posted : 6/11/2009 6:43:39 AM

The Root

okay well swim has some salvianorin he needs to purify, it was insoluble in water and soluble in acetone - problem is - other things in raw salvia leaf seem to have the same solubility - what solvent is best to use to clean this up - what is it soluble in and what is it insoluble in ?
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

soulfood
#18 Posted : 6/11/2009 4:30:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I read a tek that says repeated washes with "odorless paint thinner" can yield a very pure product.

Apparently this means ultra pure naphtha and regular naphtha won't do.

All the impurities should be soluble but the Salvorin-A won't be. Never tried this though, because salvia scares the living piss out of me.

Infundibulum
#19 Posted : 6/11/2009 4:54:20 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Phlux- wrote:
okay well swim has some salvianorin he needs to purify, it was insoluble in water and soluble in acetone - problem is - other things in raw salvia leaf seem to have the same solubility - what solvent is best to use to clean this up - what is it soluble in and what is it insoluble in ?

Isopropanol - Salvinorin A is really slightly soluble in isopropanol whereas the other crap (lipids, chlorophylls) dissolve in it. There is of course some product loss but IPA washes will give a very pure product that forms beautiful crystals if dissolved in acetone and left to evaporate at room temperatute

One may use Ice-cold IPA if he's afraid to lose some product.

EDIT: salvinorin A solubility in IPA is 0.74mg/ml

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Phlux-
#20 Posted : 6/12/2009 6:52:18 AM

The Root

okay excellent - thanks - swim will try naptha as he has no iso - is it less soluble in naptha ?
swim is terrified of salvia too and doesnt intend to smoke this - its for the salvia tipped darts.
antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

12NEXT