We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Treatening crohn's disease Options

jamie
#21 Posted : 10/10/2013 2:54:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

negative ions.
Long live the unwoke.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

adam
#22 Posted : 10/10/2013 4:05:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If your into negative ions go meditate by a waterfall

Or just sit by it

Cool

jungleheart
#23 Posted : 10/10/2013 4:54:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I healed my IBS by reading Self Healing Colitis and Crohns by David Klein. I think there's a $20 ebook. Changed my life, can't give it enough praise!

steppa
#24 Posted : 10/10/2013 8:38:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You are great nexus!

So many good answers. We'll see what we can make of all this. Thank you all very much! I guess it might take a while to integrate all this stuff in dayly life, but I'll report then... Thumbs up

I owe you something.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

bindu
#25 Posted : 10/12/2013 12:44:57 AM

steppa wrote:
You are great nexus!

I owe you something.

thats right, its about 200โ‚ฌ per consultation for your information.

But more important is that you take the advise serious and try out all the cheap and safe ideas

blessed be all forms of intelligence

Wax
#26 Posted : 10/12/2013 1:20:31 AM

LUVR

You may want to look into Celiac and gluten sensitivity before you get too far into trying things for Chron's.

My dad was diagnosed with Chron's and I saw the amount of pills and surgery he went through, then I started getting gut problems. I did a lot of research and found out that Celiac and gluten sensitivity are often mistaken for IBS and Chron's. Two days into a gluten free diet and I was cured of horrendous stomach pains that had been leaving me doubled over every night! Unfortunately my dad won't change his diet so he is still having problems after everything he has gone through.

I also highly recommend probiotics such as fermented foods or a good supplement.

If that doesn't work, I have read that eating cannabis oil has led to complete remission of Chron's.
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

steppa
#27 Posted : 10/17/2013 10:10:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Took me a bit to get her into it but yeah, we'll start a paleo style diet next week for at least two weeks and see what happens. Thumbs up

Handel
#28 Posted : 10/17/2013 11:06:45 AM

Little sheep lost in woods

Steppa, what you've been told about the Paleo diet is right on the money, props to Shadow. It cured my major problems of 10 years (see: made asymptomatic). However, 2 weeks is not enough to make Crohn's fully asymptomatic. In the first two weeks, the body still works out all the carb/grain changes, and removes toxins stored in fat. The real healing comes after the first 2 weeks. However, you won't need more than 4 weeks before you know that this diet works for your wife or not. It's just that 2 weeks is a bit short of a span to test this out properly.

Speaking for myself, Paleo stopped my daily symptoms within 3-4 days in Sept 2011. I felt so much better! However, my body was detoxifying for the next 3 months. I still had a symptom once a week or so for 4-5 months afterwards (which is a huge improvement having 1 symptom per week, rather than 5 a day). I now have no symptoms, as long as I stay at least gluten-free.

steppa
#29 Posted : 10/17/2013 2:41:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, Handel. Smile

jamie
#30 Posted : 10/17/2013 6:36:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

pretty much anyone who cant tolerate grains or gluten, does fine with fermented grain products like sourdough made with ancient grains. Even many people who are celiac eat spelt sourdough without problems. The anti nutrient problem is eliminated, glycemic index is lowered and gluten sensitivity is not a problem. People always ate grains..the paleo idea that people did not eat grains is made up. People always fermented grains.
Long live the unwoke.

steppa
#31 Posted : 10/17/2013 7:38:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jamie wrote:
pretty much anyone who cant tolerate grains or gluten, does fine with fermented grain products like sourdough made with ancient grains. Even many people who are celiac eat spelt sourdough without problems. The anti nutrient problem is eliminated, glycemic index is lowered and gluten sensitivity is not a problem. People always ate grains..the paleo idea that people did not eat grains is made up. People always fermented grains.

Sounds good. At least to me. And as other people also meantioned als fermented grains, I'll take that as a temporary fact. Thanks. Smile

Handel
#32 Posted : 10/17/2013 8:47:58 PM

Little sheep lost in woods

We have discussed the issue of fermented grains with Jamie before here on the Nexus, and that's one part that I don't agree with him. Grains were only eaten by prehistoric people in times of famine, and secondly, the normal 1-day fermentation doesn't eliminate gluten. Gluten is eliminated only when the fermentation takes place for about 1 month. To my knowledge, there's only a single guy selling that type of bread, in an LA farmer's market. Also, ancient grains like spelt also contained gluten, just less of it. Ancient Greece was full of celiacs, for example. While there were not as many as today in numbers (because indeed, older varieties/fermentation helped the situation), they still existed. Healthy adults could consider going the ancient grain fermented route, but that ship has sailed already for people who are sick. And since we're talking here about people who already have a health problem, I wouldn't personally touch any gluten for the time for this experiment. Besides, there are enough gluten-free baked products in the market to not have to do gluten.

jamie
#33 Posted : 10/17/2013 11:20:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Do you have a reliable source for the claim that grains were eaten only in times of famine? From my understanding we don't even have the data to come to that level of conclusion..we only know that they did in fact eat ancient grains. Of course there was no large scale agriculture back then, and grains did not make up the large portion of the diet they do in large scale agriculture settings. At the most there was some level of horticulture going on, but nothing like farming.
Long live the unwoke.

jamie
#34 Posted : 10/17/2013 11:27:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There is studies to suggest that celiacs do just fine with properly germented grains that contain gluten.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20975578
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14766592

It is hard to find properly prepared sourdough bread but you can make it at home, like our ancestors all had to do.

This study even suggests that properly fermented sourdough can actually increase the healing process in celiac patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22307223

My understanding is that all the gluten being broken down is not the issue, as something else happens during the fermentation that renders the gluten digestible, like certain enzymes being produced..either way the data so far suggests that celiacs do fine with sourdough bread.
Long live the unwoke.

universecannon
#35 Posted : 10/18/2013 1:12:52 AM

โ˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Grains, wheat, barely, whatever our terms in the end its all just grass seed. Grass seed is great for building and fueling bird brains, and people can eat it if they want, but I don't really have much use for them anymore.

jamie wrote:
People always ate grains..

On an evolutionary level eating grains is very very recent thing. And even then it was only a very small portion of the diet, until cultivation started kicking in just less than 13k years ago. But even if it was used heavily for 50k years or more, that is still just a blink in our evolutionary timeline.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

universecannon
#36 Posted : 10/18/2013 1:16:33 AM

โ˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

jungleheart wrote:
I healed my IBS by reading Self Healing Colitis and Crohns by David Klein. I think there's a $20 ebook. Changed my life, can't give it enough praise!

Good for you Smile

Never heard of it, but i'm curious what changes you made in your life as a result of reading it that helped?

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Auxin
#37 Posted : 10/18/2013 3:08:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

jamie wrote:
It is hard to find properly prepared sourdough bread

Worse than that, in the US at least, its now common to come across imitation sourdough being sold as real sourdough. White bread bleached with chemicals, dyed brown with raisin juice, and made sour with added malic, citric, and lactic acid. Be sure to read back labels.

jamie
#38 Posted : 10/18/2013 6:29:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

"On an evolutionary level eating grains is very very recent thing"

So far we know we have been doing it for over 100,000 years..that is over half the time we have been homo sapien sapien, and this number could even change if/when evidence for earlier use is found.

http://www.sciencedaily....2009/12/091217141312.htm

I am not saying eat grains..or that any diet should be made up of grains, or that I sit around eating tons of grains. Generally, I follow something like a primal diet. I am saying that for one, I have provided enough links that would suggest that people with gluten intolerance seem to be just fine with traditional fermentation preperations, and that we have been doing this for a long time..and even one link that found that it had a healing effect..and I have not seen any evidence posted from others who are opposed to this idea. All I see is personal opinions which is fine, but I have grown to become very skeptical of this whole idea that grains are just bad. Pretty much everything people have to say about why grains are bad is not relevant when ancient/heiroloom grains are properly fermented. Unless someone can provide me with reliable links or something saying the opposite I am not convinced anymore.

I used to believe all grains are bad reguardless, but I just see a lack of evidence. I am one of the people who was actually diagnosed(not self diagnosed) by a doctor as being highly gluten sensitive. I avoided all grains and gluten for many years. Recently I did a test on myself. I ate some organic whole spelt(an ancient wheat, unfermented) bread..just a piece, and I got a bad reaction and my back hurt for the next day and all night. Then I tried some organic fermented sourdough made from ancient heirloom grain(an ancient wheat)..and nothing. I tried it again after a few days and again..no reaction. In fact I seem to digest that even better than other non gluten grains like rice and oats that are not fermented.

Long live the unwoke.

adam
#39 Posted : 10/18/2013 7:26:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
The results of this study contribute to our understanding of the importance of whole grains in the diet. Future dietary recommendations should include guidelines for evaluating the quality of grain products based on their whole grain content. It is noteworthy that only 12% of the men in this study, all of whom were highly educated and theoretically knowledgeable about health, reported eating at least one serving of whole grain cereals per day, suggesting a societal lack of understanding of the nutritional value of whole grains.

whole grains for mens health
live longer with whole grains
fermented sourdough recipe
gluten sensitivity as a neurlogical illness
a brief history of gluten

So these are some links I have had bookmarked from my own gluten research. Being an autoimmune patient who is also allergic to many foods I have done a lot of research. And really there is no easy answer on food allergies. They can be imprinted onto the memory of the immune system and possibly unlearned? I have been allergic to gluten and dairy, I cut them out for long periods of time and the slowly reintroduced them back into my diet with no problem. Some food allergies appear to be your bodies way that you are over doing it with certain foods. Other people it may be purely genetic that certain foods don't go well with their genetic makeup. Which is the case for grains, not to mention a lot of the grain thing is misconstrued because a lot of grains aren't actually grains but pseudograins(read last link). While the harmful grains have been selectively modified for certain traits while being fermented. Then in the modern era we simply stopped fermenting grains due to lack of practicality for big business.

So the issue of food allergy and disease is complex and varies greatly from person to person.

To the OP try a good quality curcumin extract(this really helped me), some good digestive enzymes, and probiotics. And you are right about meditation but maybe through some exercise in their, as it really helps regulate the metabolism and ease stress, which often has strong correlation to any issues with digestion.

blue lunar night
#40 Posted : 10/19/2013 6:04:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lots of useful advice in this thread.

i've had psoriasis, an auto-immune inflammatory skin disorder for over a decade... i used to be dependent on weekly injections, but in the past few years have made great strides in improving my health.

i find that 1)stress & 2)diet are the biggest inflammatory factors for me.

if your wife drinks coffee or tea, maybe try switching to yerba mate, or even better, guayusa. they don't seem to trigger an inflammatory response for me.

a friend of mine had crohn's (or a very similar condition), & on my recommendation tried taking Sarsaparilla (Smilax officinalis), an herbal anti-inflammatory, in capsules... they worked far beyond either of our expectations, and she has remained pain free on just one or two capsules a day !
of course you may not get the same results, but it's worth a shot...

i'm not a big fan of realitysandwich.com, but earlier this year they posted a great article which explores the anti-inflammatory & immunomodulatory side of herbal medicine... i revist it occasionally as it motivates me to be more proactive about my health:
Talking to Fire: Botanical Immunomodulation

PREV123NEXT