We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Silk Road seized by the feds Options

jamie
#41 Posted : 10/4/2013 7:44:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

"Does anyone think The Shroomery being named in the complaint may bring extra unwanted attention here to The Nexus?"

Trust me..narcs troll here just as they do anywhere else..think about what this place is..obviously it has been brought to they're attention. If your not some drug ring leader etc you really shouldn't worry. They are not going to go after some random person just cus they like to trip at home.
Long live the unwoke.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

alert
#42 Posted : 10/4/2013 8:14:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ymer
#43 Posted : 10/4/2013 8:37:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jamie wrote:
"Does anyone think The Shroomery being named in the complaint may bring extra unwanted attention here to The Nexus?"

Trust me..narcs troll here just as they do anywhere else..think about what this place is..obviously it has been brought to they're attention. If your not some drug ring leader etc you really shouldn't worry. They are not going to go after some random person just cus they like to trip at home.

Yea they are not going to raid your place, but I'm sure they will put it in their "list of crimes" that you have commited in case that one day they need you to shut you up or put you in prison

Continuum
#44 Posted : 10/4/2013 9:35:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^ Well, that's comforting...lol. I'm really not worried; I'm certainly not anyone of interest.

It was a bit alarming that (if I understood the complaint correctly) LE was able make a copy of SR's server in July and had the content of PM's, etc. It sounded like the attempted murder charge was brought about exclusively from PM's. Personally I don't PM or even chat here (not out of security concern or anything), but I was surprised how much access they appeared to have to SR.
Forge a Path with Heart <3

Atlas_
#45 Posted : 2/14/2014 5:04:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This just in,

"The Silk Road 2" just "lost" 2.7 million dollars worth of bitcoin that it claims was "hacked" by a reddit user lol. Others believe it was silk road staff themselves.

Trust me on this guys, the "deep dark web" will rip you off every time. The silk road has always seems super sketchy to me.

heres the link to the article:

http://www.deepdotweb.co...s-stolen-unknown-amount/

tango
#46 Posted : 2/14/2014 5:41:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Atlas_ wrote:

Trust me on this guys, the "deep dark web" will rip you off every time. The silk road has always seems super sketchy to me.

These dark web sites seem like a playground for the geeks and folks who want to feel like they're part of the in-crowd. I hadn't even heard of Silk Road until it made the news, but have followed its off-springs for a while, on various forums. The conversations seem to be centered around online anonymity (or the illusion of it), mostly ignoring the part where you pick up your drugs at the post office.

Also, to justify their use of these sites, people work hard to convince themselves and each other that real life transactions are very much like the bloody confrontations between drug cartels, as seen on TV. What's needed is a marketing campaign promoting the image of your friendly neighborhood dealer, peacefully going about business in his riced out Honda Civic.

Nathanial.Dread
#47 Posted : 2/14/2014 5:53:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

tango wrote:
Atlas_ wrote:

These dark web sites seem like a playground for the geeks and folks who want to feel like they're part of the in-crowd. I hadn't even heard of Silk Road until it made the news, but have followed its off-springs for a while, on various forums. The conversations seem to be centered around online anonymity (or the illusion of it), mostly ignoring the part where you pick up your drugs at the post office.

Also, to justify their use of these sites, people work hard to convince themselves and each other that real life transactions are very much like the bloody confrontations between drug cartels, as seen on TV. What's needed is a marketing campaign promoting the image of your friendly neighborhood dealer, peacefully going about business in his riced out Honda Civic.

It's looking likely that this was a scam put together by SR administrators and not actually an attack on the bitcoin protocol itself.
In a way, that's desirable, as it means that the currency itself is still likely secure, although it's also a reminder that in an unregulated market, there's not much recourse against scammers.

Honestly, I never understood why users of the SR were comfortable with a centralized escrow system, given that the whole point of the crypto-anarchy movement has been the decentralization of information and control. I imagine that whatever they next generation of black market websites are will do away with that. Multi-sig transactions might be a good jumping off point.

Similarly, I'm sure that there are people right now feverishly working on building a new cryptocurrency that doesn't have the risk of transaction malleability.

TL;DR - this blows for the people who lost money, but in the long-run, it's a good learning experience of the market and will only prompt the development of better services.

Blessings
~ND

EDIT: I hope none of that violated the 'no selling talk.'
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

DreaMTripper
#48 Posted : 2/17/2014 12:24:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

From what I read on reddit it seems an elaborate long con using libertarian discourse and a fake rallying cry of 'us v them' brought about by the demise of silkroad 1. Seems they took the name and relative trust people had in the original market and used that to build a member and vendor base from which to steal from.
Very interesting how it has played out with respect to an underground online culture imploding and the drama can be comical however sadly some dark and tragic effects will no doubt occur some people may actually lose their lives.
The longer term and immediate effects on the darknet market culture will be interesting to observe, how will they react to the arrests, scams and ever increasing publicity. How will this affect the clearnet in general..

PREV123