We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Space travel Options

obliguhl
#1 Posted : 6/1/2009 7:38:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How can we live without ever touching the stars with our own hands, how can we live without watching the moon and wondering about our destiny? We dreamed of spaceships, large rockets and cannons...and we got it but still ..there is no warp drive, no alien civilisation, no Spaceship Enterprise - let alone inexpensive orbital flights - we can't even watch this precious gem we call earth from above! We're bound by this evil force, scientists call "gravity" and we don't even know what it is!

It just might be our thougts forcing us down to earth. Maybe we just have to jump with enough willpower to make this last gigantic leap, to join the intergalactic community.

Until then, the spice is our vessel. It's undestroyable, it's fast, it's magical..and maybe it's as real as buckling up the seatbelt in space rocket. Who know? All I know is that infinity is what we seek - the unexplainable glitter of the stars in a night full of tearful joys.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Aegle
#2 Posted : 6/1/2009 8:22:08 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Obliguhl

Awe inspiring writing..........Im speechless..........

Much Peace
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

MalargueZiggy
#3 Posted : 6/1/2009 8:30:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well said man,

I wonder whether we'll ever get to see the bigger picture. Somehow I doubt it. My obsession with space is becoming ridiculous, I have to bite myself back from talking about it with my friends now.

Something I've been considering recently is whether the universe is part of a much bigger structure, that makes it look small. It could be, think how big a glass of water is on an atomic level.

I read somewhere that if the milky way was the size of the American continent, our star would be the size of a pencil dot.

I hope I live long enough to afford space tourism.
"Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, while all the time we long to move the stars to pity." - Flaubert

I do not engage in or condone illegal activities. Most of what I write is on behalf of people I've bumped into, usually several years ago and in countries where the things I mention are legal.

burnt
#4 Posted : 6/1/2009 8:33:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
Something I've been considering recently is whether the universe is part of a much bigger structure, that makes it look small. It could be, think how big a glass of water is on an atomic level.

Very well could be. We only know what we can see. Beyond that could be well anything.

Phlux-
#5 Posted : 6/1/2009 8:35:09 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

If there is no physical body to be destroyed by natural forces, limitations like the absence of air or intense and fluctuating temperatures and other physically limiting laws like not being able to move faster than the speed of light don't exist. The Ego weighs us down and it is discarded too, finally we are as we should be - free to travel infinitely.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Aegle
#6 Posted : 6/1/2009 8:38:26 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Everything is a manifestation any way so create your own reality with the strength and wisdom of you own mind and consciousness.

Much Peace
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

MalargueZiggy
#7 Posted : 6/1/2009 9:55:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

burnt wrote:
Quote:

Very well could be. We only know what we can see. Beyond that could be well anything.

An interesting comment. I've noticed that your opinion on things is generally from a scientific and rational perspective. For example, the idea that the sacred anaconda patterns are a product of the way that the substance affects our vision rather than a connection with a common spirituality.

The idea that 'beyond that could anything' suggests an acceptance that there's a whole lot we don't know/understand.

Out of interest, does your world-view allow for the possibiilty of mysticism, the soul, the entities being real, us being an expression of universal consciousness etc etc?

"Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to, while all the time we long to move the stars to pity." - Flaubert

I do not engage in or condone illegal activities. Most of what I write is on behalf of people I've bumped into, usually several years ago and in countries where the things I mention are legal.

obliguhl
#8 Posted : 6/2/2009 7:54:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you Aegle Very happy

Besides, you can reduce everything to scientific reasoning MalargueZiggy, but you can't be sure. Everything concerning the mind and consciousness should be in the realm of philosophy or so I think. The scientific paradigm offers a stable system to think in and it is surely convincing most of the time, but you can never be sure that it's correct. It's basically a self-sustaining system just like any other belief.

burnt
#9 Posted : 6/2/2009 8:36:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
An interesting comment. I've noticed that your opinion on things is generally from a scientific and rational perspective. For example, the idea that the sacred anaconda patterns are a product of the way that the substance affects our vision rather than a connection with a common spirituality.

The idea that 'beyond that could anything' suggests an acceptance that there's a whole lot we don't know/understand.

Out of interest, does your world-view allow for the possibiilty of mysticism, the soul, the entities being real, us being an expression of universal consciousness etc etc?

I meant anything in the sense that ok as the universe expanded it appears to have undergone a period of rapid inflation. Meaning it expanded at a rate faster then what we are observing today. This idea as well as others open up the idea that beyond our universe could be either an infinite or perhaps finite number of other universes with different laws of nature. The only reason we are in a universe with the laws of nature that make life possible is simply because we wouldn't be here if such a universe didn't exist. So we could be a small pocket in multiverse. There are other theories about the cosmos that touch on these ideas but its many long stories.

To answer your question does my world view allow for the possibility of mystical stuff. Well yes its possible but there is no evidence that any of these phenemonon are spiritual and require anything supernatural. I certainly don't believe in a god with a personality. I also don't believe in a supernatural soul. There is just no evidence for these things. They are ancient explanations for things people did not understand. We now understand many of those things and have no need for such fairy tales anymore. There is also no real evidence that the entities are real but why I lean towards them not being real is we already KNOW that people are capable of hallucinating entities. From angels to ghosts to imaginary friends. Universal conscious also is an idea that really has no backing. Its taken from an old buddhist idea that I also think is incomplete. The buddhists never utilized the power of objective reasonsing. Only subjective experience. Thats why their picture is not complete.

Science has trumped all these ideas. If you don't think so you may not entirely grasp what science really knows. Science is not like any other belief. It requires evidence and experimentation. Other beliefs don't require any of that. There is a science of the mind. The mind does not lie outside the realm of science. Nothing does, yet. The only limit to science is our technological innovation and minds. But those will evolve in ways no one can really predict. The possibilities are great. I think saying that science is confirming what spirituality was saying years ago is trivializing and misunderstanding what science has taught us about our universe. I have no respect for spiritualism its a distraction that answers nothing. It may act as a psychological tool for many but as an outside observer its obvious to me thats why people cling to it.

deedle-doo
#10 Posted : 6/2/2009 3:46:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl wrote:
How can we live without ever touching the stars with our own hands, how can we live without watching the moon and wondering about our destiny? We dreamed of spaceships, large rockets and cannons...and we got it but still ..there is no warp drive, no alien civilisation, no Spaceship Enterprise - let alone inexpensive orbital flights - we can't even watch this precious gem we call earth from above! We're bound by this evil force, scientists call "gravity" and we don't even know what it is!

It just might be our thougts forcing us down to earth. Maybe we just have to jump with enough willpower to make this last gigantic leap, to join the intergalactic community.

Beautiful sentiment man! I think humans have a deep seated dispersal instinct. This is why we took the long walk out of africa! Now that we've essentially filled the earth up it is natural that this instinct should be bent towards the sky.

It is a marvelous adaptation. Disperse and diversify to survive extinction. If we stay a single planet civilization humanity will become extinct but if we can disperse around the galaxy only individual planets will go extinct and humanity will grow and change.

Check out Vernor Vinge, 'A deepness in the sky.' Brilliant science fiction.

hexagonomicon
#11 Posted : 6/2/2009 3:55:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I thinks it's gonna be a long long time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrKlEtxTx4

Abraxas25
#12 Posted : 6/5/2009 11:17:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I love reading about and discussing space, although its vastness truly horrifies me. I heard a great fact/statement once, "The fact is, the Universe is inconceivably vast, there are more stars in the universe than every single sound uttered by every human being to ever exist on Earth".
“I am getting so far out one day I won't come back at all.” - William Burroughs

"There was a time before we were born, if someone asks this is where I'll be." - Talking Heads

970Codfert
#13 Posted : 6/7/2009 12:09:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl wrote:

Until then, the spice is our vessel. It's undestroyable, it's fast, it's magical..and maybe it's as real as buckling up the seatbelt in space rocket. Who know? All I know is that infinity is what we seek - the unexplainable glitter of the stars in a night full of tearful joys.

Awesome post! What a great choice of words, truly inspiring. thanks for starting this.... I think it is appropriate that we all discuss our affinity for outer space (not just hyperspace). Razz

I was feeling much the same way this morning as I came off an LSD trip, walking through a beautiful canyon towards the rising sun, staring at a beautiful [insert color/shade] sky. There, leading us to our campsite, just above where our sun would soon rise, was what I assume was a planet, probably Venus. It's luminosity was almost unbearable.

Quote:
All I know is that infinity is what we seek - the unexplainable glitter of the stars in a night full of tearful joys.

WIKI - fractals. This is the Mandelbrot set:

For each c, one considers the behavior of the sequence obtained by iterating Pc(z) starting at critical point z = 0, which either escapes to infinity or stays within a disk of some finite radius.

Fractals are neat. That's such a great statement.
All posts are fictional.