We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
didgeridoo questions Options

pinche
#1 Posted : 6/1/2009 2:03:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Where is a good place online to get a didgeridoo?From what i have seen so far the real eucalyptus ones are at least $200+.Im not ready to spend that much,ive never had one before.For the cheap ones what is better plastic or bamboo?I just need something to learn on, nothing fancy.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

۩
#2 Posted : 6/1/2009 2:09:36 AM

Make one out of PVC/bee's wax until you have circular breathing down. Save up some money, then acquire the epic.

WSaged
#3 Posted : 6/1/2009 2:24:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Do you live anywhere near the South Western US desert?

I had a hippie friend who used to make them out of fruiting Agave Cactus & sell them in a small artsy-fartsy towns in the mountains.

When an Agave gets old enough, they grow a tall tube up into the air, from 4 to 8 feet high & the seeds fall from it after drying.
My pal used to cut down the tube after they would die & cut it in half, then hollow it out, lacquer the insides & glue the tube back together & lacquer the outside of it to a finish.
Not really difficult at all.
You can tune it by cutting/filing it to raise the pitch. He had a van full of them, cut to resonate at all the different notes.

He made me a great 7' long one in the key of E, to go with most rock & popular music, back when I was in a band.
I can play it pretty good, but I never really perfected the circular breathing thing...bad sinuses.Embarrased

Here's a pic:

WS
WSaged attached the following image(s):
Bell.jpg (222kb) downloaded 107 time(s).
Digerido.jpg (199kb) downloaded 107 time(s).
Mouth.jpg (162kb) downloaded 107 time(s).
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Coatl
#4 Posted : 6/1/2009 2:41:35 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Just get a plastic one, they work fine for learners. I have one and I love it!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

acolon_5
#5 Posted : 6/1/2009 2:55:50 PM

The Great Namah

I've got a whole quiver of didg's made from both PVC and wood (oak, pine, maple).

A PVC didg is easy to make and can sound pretty good until you are sure you want to get a wooden one.

If you get a heat gun you can bend it, make a bell, put imprints into the PVC. I've got quite a few I've made myself.

google: Make your own PVC didgeridoo. There are a couple of really good sites on it.

Also, ebay has some good wooden ones for under $50 every now and then. Check teak didgeridoo's.

Stay away from bamboo, unless they are made right they can split easily. PVC will never break. Teak's are cheap and are a good step above PVC in terms of sound.

Also get some beeswax, you'll need it no matter what. Learning to make your own mouthpiece is a good skill to have.

Contact me if you are interested in a low price painted PVC one ($30+) or a mid priced wooden one ($100+) and I'll speak to my friend about making you one to your specs.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Aegle
#6 Posted : 6/1/2009 3:47:49 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Heres a really great site Pinche DidgeridooBreath
I think you lose alot of the natural beauty of a didgeridoo if they arent made from natural material.

Much Peace
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

soulfood
#7 Posted : 6/1/2009 4:35:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Ok, first of all, don't buy a didjeridoo online. You just don't know what your're getting. There are somethings that just can't be described correctly, even with audio samples you wouldn't be hearing how you'd play it.

Secondly PVC tubing and gas pipes work great. I know a guy who played didj for 8 years before going to Australia to have his own made and he's pretty damn good and that gas pipe taught him all he need know. He says it sounds a little better than PVC. PVC's good also mind. But just stay away from bamboo. A complete pain in the bum, and they never get the mouth piece right even though they insist on carving them in.

acolon_5
#8 Posted : 6/1/2009 4:56:47 PM

The Great Namah

I agree with the above poster, but only when buying a top of the line didgeridoo.

I got my teak wood didg online for $15+$10 shipping. $25. It's not the best didg, but for $25 it's a hell of a good deal. I learned a lot on it before I got more didg's. There are simple didg's that I would say it is ok to get online. I would NOT spend more than $100 online for a didg though. Getting a real top of the line didg should be got in person.

And yeah, there is NOTHING wrong with a PVC didg. You can't break 'em, you can't hurt em (unless you are really trying), and there is nothing you can learn on a wooden didg that you can't learn on a PVC one.

The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Aegle
#9 Posted : 6/1/2009 5:02:57 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

I guess its just a personal preference i would never own a plastic or PVC didgeridoo Wink

Much Peace
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

WSaged
#10 Posted : 6/1/2009 5:09:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, I think a tube made from natural material has a sound with so much more personality.

Making one from plastic, tends to have a very uniform sound to it, the resonation is always exactly the same. To me, they sound....well...like plastic.
When it is made from a natural wood, there are little pockets of air in places inside the cellular makeup of the plant & build ups of more solid/harder areas too, which create different resonances & overtones when held or played differently.
I guess this might also be a reason for a beginner to start with a PVC/etc... one too. Might be easier to learn how to play without all the variations in overtones.

Since a Didgeridoo is a resonator type of instrument & basically makes just one note, all the variation in sounds
that it may have, comes from the harmonics & overtones created from the tube resonating & from sounds made in the body & mouth of the person playing it.
So for the richest overtones & harmonics, you'd want to use a natural source with more of a non-uniform makeup, that is not too dense & not too light.

2-cents...

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aegle
#11 Posted : 6/1/2009 5:16:38 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Warrensaged

exactly, each to there own though Very happy

Much Peace

WSaged
#12 Posted : 6/1/2009 6:01:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aegle wrote:
Warrensaged
exactly, each to there own though Very happy
Much Peace

Yup, just my corner...

Oh & definitely get some bee's wax to form the mouth piece with!!
I can't imagine trying to play one of those with the carved mouth piece, I reform mine almost every time I play it & while I'm playing it.
I usually mess with it to fit how my mouth is feeling that day.

I always kind of thought the digges with the carved mouth pieces where like that, mainly because most people take one look at the bee's wax & gross out.
Saying, "ooh, I'm not putting my mouth in that!!"Laughing
I've only seen that type of Digg at gift shop type places, where it is probably being sold more as a decoration anyway.

WS

'Coatl
#13 Posted : 6/1/2009 6:07:33 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Ya mine has a beeswax mouth piece.
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

pinche
#14 Posted : 6/1/2009 10:38:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for a the info.I have some pvc laying around so i might make one, until i can get a better one.Where can i get beeswax?Would Lowes or Home Depot have the right kind or is that something you have to order?

Also, what key is best.I just want it for simple droning.Sit around the camp fire with a little aya.Very happy

۩
#15 Posted : 6/1/2009 10:56:05 PM

pinche wrote:
Thanks for a the info.I have some pvc laying around so i might make one, until i can get a better one.Where can i get beeswax?Would Lowes or Home Depot have the right kind or is that something you have to order?

Also, what key is best.I just want it for simple droning.Sit around the camp fire with a little aya.Very happy

we highly encourage you to do some humming/chanting and find your favorite key.
Fun to do in the shower, but the resonance of the room may distort your resonance of your self. (Infinitely divisible)
The cool thing about the voice or length of didj is that it's not set up like a piano, you can move anywhere along the spectrum (rainbow) and some colors are just better than others. (I love purple, but yellow can be annoying)Wink

WSaged
#16 Posted : 6/1/2009 11:07:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

pinche wrote:
Where can i get beeswax? Would Lowes or Home Depot have the right kind or is that something you have to order?

Most health food stores have it.

WS

SWIMfriend
#17 Posted : 6/1/2009 11:16:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Seeing this thread makes a connection in my mind that I hadn't made before: didgeridoo sounds are reminiscent of throat-singing sounds...

amor_fati
#18 Posted : 6/2/2009 12:12:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SWIMfriend wrote:
Seeing this thread makes a connection in my mind that I hadn't made before: didgeridoo sounds are reminiscent of throat-singing sounds...

Yep, jaw harps are related as well (I've never had a knack, but I'll figure it out some day). You can also do a few interesting things with harmonicas as well.

WSaged
#19 Posted : 6/2/2009 1:18:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIMfriend wrote:

Yeah, I'm not real familiar with thought singing but it seems a lot like playing the didgeridoo without the tube.Wink

WS

amor_fati
#20 Posted : 6/2/2009 2:21:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

warrensaged wrote:
Yeah, I'm not real familiar with thought singing but it seems a lot like playing the didgeridoo without the tube.Wink

Kudos on the "thought singing" slip, WS. Very happy

or was it a slip?

12NEXT