We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV3456NEXT
contaminated spore syringe? Options

psychosisdoses
#81 Posted : 7/14/2009 4:46:14 PM

Derek

nibpack wrote:

2. Did this crumbliness occur while you were, perhaps, scraping the verm off with a fork or something? Just below the vermiculite layer they tend to be a little crumbly. Further down they should be quite solid at this stage.

i scraped out what i could of the vermiculite underneath that was somewhat crumbly the cake didnt want to come out so as i was trying to pull it out it crumbled some but yes most of the cake was quite solid
"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~
‹maxzar100› YOU are like acid
‹mattimus› dosesdosingdoses

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

nibpack
#82 Posted : 7/15/2009 9:11:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm, sounds fine then. You know you can get them out by just slamming the jars gently on a tabletop, maybe put a magazine under to soften the blows.
"My shoes are so far away from me, man I can't believe it!"

psychosisdoses
#83 Posted : 7/15/2009 12:13:03 PM

Derek

nibpack wrote:
Hmm, sounds fine then. You know you can get them out by just slamming the jars gently on a tabletop, maybe put a magazine under to soften the blows.

thats exactly what i did.. it wouldnt come out
"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~

psychosisdoses
#84 Posted : 7/21/2009 12:58:56 AM

Derek

the cake i birthed 8 days ago showed me its first pins today Smile
i still am waiting to birth the other 8 at least till they pin in the jars..
look at the babys!!
psychosisdoses attached the following image(s):
babyboomers.jpg (29kb) downloaded 117 time(s).

psychosisdoses
#85 Posted : 7/21/2009 10:38:28 PM

Derek

day 2
baby boomers2.jpg (32kb) downloaded 108 time(s).

psychosisdoses
#86 Posted : 7/24/2009 5:10:41 PM

Derek

lil guys are doin fantastic Smile
the other cakes which i birthed a week behind this one started pinnin today
babyboomers4.jpg (34kb) downloaded 102 time(s).

Barmaley
#87 Posted : 7/25/2009 5:33:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

oh man, that's so awesome, congrats!.

I have a question about humidity for people on this board:
Humidity. Would it be alright if the fruiting chamber is somewhat closed and inside there is a container with water that will constantly evaporate inside. I will add a lot of salt to it so it doesn't go bad or anything. Will that be too much humidity or too little?

psychosisdoses
#88 Posted : 7/26/2009 12:48:24 AM

Derek

such lil funguys Smile
im such a proud father
pins1.jpg (38kb) downloaded 87 time(s).
shroomys1.jpg (36kb) downloaded 87 time(s).

psychosisdoses
#89 Posted : 7/29/2009 6:05:18 AM

Derek

Smile
baybes.jpg (39kb) downloaded 70 time(s).

psychosisdoses
#90 Posted : 7/30/2009 7:00:19 PM

Derek

an some more
babies.jpg (40kb) downloaded 65 time(s).
group.jpg (37kb) downloaded 65 time(s).

Seven
#91 Posted : 7/30/2009 7:42:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

woah nice!
The universe is an infinite harmony of vibrating beings in an elaborate range of expansion-contraction ratios, frequency modulations, and so forth.

psychosisdoses
#92 Posted : 8/4/2009 11:39:36 AM

Derek

second flush!
first i harvested premature me thinks somethin like 15 grams dry
boomershome.jpg (28kb) downloaded 52 time(s).

idtravlr
#93 Posted : 8/4/2009 5:24:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

psychosis - Those are beautiful fruits I must say, and your cakes look VERY healthy and capable of producing many quality flushes. One thing that may help you to get them out of the jars if you're still having trouble, is to wait until the you see the first one or two primordia forming. At this point the cakes tend to have shrank enough that they just drop out of the jars.

Do you mind me asking what strain those are? They look like the Penis Envy strain. If they are, this is probably one of the healthiest PF tek harvests of Penis Envy's I've seen! Nice going brother!

Peace
-idt
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

acolon_5
#94 Posted : 8/4/2009 5:51:21 PM

The Great Namah

Barmaley wrote:
oh man, that's so awesome, congrats!.

I have a question about humidity for people on this board:
Humidity. Would it be alright if the fruiting chamber is somewhat closed and inside there is a container with water that will constantly evaporate inside. I will add a lot of salt to it so it doesn't go bad or anything. Will that be too much humidity or too little?

No, that won't be enough humidity for cakes. They need 100% RH. Perilite is your best (and cheapest) best.

H2o2 is much better than salt for keeping out contams. I always add a capful to all of my misters.

OP, those cakes look nice. Good job. If you haven't already, after your second flush I woudl dunk those in sealed tupperware for 12-24hrs in the fridge. You'll be amazed at what a good dunk can do for a dry cake.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

dread
#95 Posted : 8/4/2009 7:02:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Don't dunk in the fridge. Use cold water, but dunk in room temperature. Dunking in the fridge accomplishes nothing and actually delays the next pinset.

Also when you dunk put something heavy, like a plate or something, on the cakes to keep them submerged. The cakes need to be weighed down so the pressure of the water forces it through the cell wall of the mycelium.

acolon_5
#96 Posted : 8/4/2009 7:15:01 PM

The Great Namah

dread wrote:
Don't dunk in the fridge. Use cold water, but dunk in room temperature. Dunking in the fridge accomplishes nothing and actually delays the next pinset.

Also when you dunk put something heavy, like a plate or something, on the cakes to keep them submerged. The cakes need to be weighed down so the pressure of the water forces it through the cell wall of the mycelium.

I disagree. Although I DO agree that cold shocking Cubes does nothing whatsoever but delay pinsetting.

The cold is NOT to cold shock them but to keep bacteria and molds from growing in the water while giving the mycelium enough time to soak up enough water. When you are dunking cakes that have flushed a few times, they become less resistant to contams. Soaking in room temperature water for 12-24 hours is an invitation for contams to take root in your cakes. I advise strongly against it. I've done it, and I've lost cakes because of it. In my few years of growing I've foud that a cold dunk is the best way to rehydrate cakes.

Yes, the next pin set might be delayed a day or so, but the end result is much better than double ended casing, or having a green cake a few days after pulling it out of the water.

Again, I use tupperware (gladware to be exact) which has a lid. Simply fill up the gladware to the top with water (the cakes will be floating) and push down the lid. This completely submerges the cakes, keeps the water from leaking out, and is suitable for storage in the fridge for a few hours (12+ works best in my experience, 24+ is a bit much, and 48 you've got mostly dead cakes).
The Spice extends life
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

dread
#97 Posted : 8/4/2009 7:23:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

>> Soaking in room temperature water for 12-24 hours is an invitation for contams to take root in your cakes.

Bull. A fully colonized cake is extremely resistant to contamination. Also the chlorine in the tap water helps.

Just use cold tap water. Unless your tap water is unfit for drinking, in which case use bottled water.

In the middle of summer, if it's really really hot where you are, you may have to dunk in the fridge. But most people can dunk in room temperature just fine. The cakes will not contaminate from it. Trust me on this. I've done it dozens of times.

Furthermore, dunking in the fridge can delay your next pinset for up to a week. That's a week of the cakes sitting uselessly in your FC, doing nothing but drying and wasting nutrients. If you care about yields, don't dunk in the fridge.

Also, rinse your cakes under the tap before and after the dunk. This also helps against contamination considerably.

psychosisdoses
#98 Posted : 8/4/2009 11:38:30 PM

Derek

aye i dunked over night after the first flush
took em out dried em off back in the chamber had pins within 24 hours
they are now growing fast as shit and FAT-er then last flush

the strain is golden teacher...

thank you all for your helpful input
i wouldnt of been able to do it without yall

psychosisdoses
#99 Posted : 8/5/2009 5:24:35 PM

Derek

they are boomin!
boomin3.jpg (48kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
boomin2.jpg (24kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
boomin.jpg (46kb) downloaded 29 time(s).

acolon_5
#100 Posted : 8/5/2009 6:06:02 PM

The Great Namah

dread wrote:
>> Soaking in room temperature water for 12-24 hours is an invitation for contams to take root in your cakes.

Bull. A fully colonized cake is extremely resistant to contamination. Also the chlorine in the tap water helps.

Yes, a fully colonized cake IS extremely resistant....for a while. As the mycelium ages and rips through the nutes it becomes LESS resisitant. While a dunk before the first flush and a dunk after the first flush will probably be just fine at room temperature subsequent dunks are better off where bacteria and mold spores will have a hard time growing.

Quote:

Furthermore, dunking in the fridge can delay your next pinset for up to a week. That's a week of the cakes sitting uselessly in your FC, doing nothing but drying and wasting nutrients. If you care about yields, don't dunk in the fridge.

I've never had it take a week to repin after a fridge dunk. Usually by day 3 or 4 I've got my first pins going. For me, a few days delay is better than having to toss the cake completely. Granted, it's been 2 years since I've birthed cakes for pinning (use grain casings, but cakes are GREAT for blending and innoculating low nutrient spawn). If you are waiting a week for your cakes to pin you might just have the temp a little too low for them.

Also, if you are super worried about yields you should not be using cakes. If you are going for high yields you need to learn straw teks, poo teks, or bulk spawning teks. A grain casing, done correctly, even with a mulitspore innoculation can yield 3x a cake by volume. If you go advanced on it, isolating a superior substrain, you can double those yields.

Quote:
Also, rinse your cakes under the tap before and after the dunk. This also helps against contamination considerably.

Agree 100% on this.

I'm only reporting what has worked well for me and a few friends I have introduced to the wonderful world of mycology. If you find something that works better, by all means use it and promote it. I'm not trying to get into a long debate over fridge or not to fridge, only reporting what works BEST for ME. I personally use to lose cakes more frequently when I dunked in room temp water, or double ended cased them, I then switched to just dunking in the fridge for 12+ hours and stopped using any type of rehydration while they were in the fruiting chamber (DE casings, hole in the middle to insert water, drinking straw in the center, etc...)

The Spice extends life

«PREV3456NEXT