We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
contaminated spore syringe? Options

fourthripley
#21 Posted : 6/10/2009 9:34:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I would suggest not spraying out your fruiting chamber with lysol, just wash out with bleach solution. Lysol can cause mutations and mess up your fruits, especially if you want to print from them.
mistakes were made

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

nibpack
#22 Posted : 6/10/2009 9:35:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:

after transferring, spray the whole chamber with water two or three times a day, and fan about four or five times a day

SWIM used this method for years with poor results, plus it's so labour intensive, you cant leave them alone for more than 6 hours! This year he tried clear disposable 1 ltr take away containers for each cake(a few dollars for like 20) and got amazing results, 10-20 average shrooms per cake. Plus several 10 inch+ shrooms which he'd never achieved using the usual methods.

No misting, no perlite, no fanning. I imagine it would be a better growing environment to print from too, as you're not forced to add contams to the chmber every few hours.
"My shoes are so far away from me, man I can't believe it!"

benzyme
#23 Posted : 6/10/2009 9:41:00 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

interesting...

is that similar to dissected soda bottle (2L) setup?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

psychosisdoses
#24 Posted : 6/10/2009 10:48:57 PM

Derek

benzyme wrote:
it all sounds good, but go with at least a couple inches of perlite; otherwise the water may evaporate too quickly.
swim uses about 3-4 inches.

doesn't matter what side of the foil faces up, its purpose is to prevent the cake from getting too wet resulting in rotting.

everything else sounds about right. give the chamber a couple good sprays of lysol, after adding perlite (which you can just wet through a strainer..no need for a layer of water at the bottom), and wait a few minutes to disperse. you can then transfer the cakes to the pieces of foil on top of the perlite, the lysol won't really affect them.

the trick is to make sure the cakes are as fully colonized, as much as possible, before transferring to the fruiting chamber. this is the primary defense against contamination, since airborne contaminants will compete for the substrate.

after transferring, spray the whole chamber with water two or three times a day, and fan about four or five times a day

okay cool thats all very good info ill need to get more perlite me thinks.. but no prob
only one thing i didnt mean the foil im sorry i meant the cakes themselves does it matter if its birthed upside down

as for the water i spray how important is the sterility of that water and spray bottle.. should i boil water then allow to cool or just bottled water will suffice.. and for the spray bottle get a new one and clean with soap?
i am assuming i am NOT to spray the cakes.. just the sides of the box and perlite right?

i really appreciate all your help Smile
"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~
‹maxzar100› YOU are like acid
‹mattimus› dosesdosingdoses

benzyme
#25 Posted : 6/10/2009 11:16:12 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

you could boil it or use filtered water
but if the cakes are fully colonized, it won't really matter. fresh rain would even do

as for the cakes... verm side down (try to scrape as much of the dry verm as possible before transplanting). rinse em off

suggestion (before transferring): soak them in a bowl of water (tap water works) in the fridge for about 12 hours to hydrate the mycellium. use a dish to weigh them down so they're submerged.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

psychosisdoses
#26 Posted : 6/11/2009 12:36:50 AM

Derek

benzyme wrote:
you could boil it or use filtered water
but if the cakes are fully colonized, it won't really matter. fresh rain would even do

as for the cakes... verm side down (try to scrape as much of the dry verm as possible before transplanting). rinse em off

suggestion (before transferring): soak them in a bowl of water (tap water works) in the fridge for about 12 hours to hydrate the mycellium. use a dish to weigh them down so they're submerged.

awesome thanks!!!

fourthripley wrote:
I would suggest not spraying out your fruiting chamber with lysol, just wash out with bleach solution. Lysol can cause mutations and mess up your fruits, especially if you want to print from them.

lysol will cause mutations? this doesnt make sense to me why would it i was under the impression that it evaporates and leaves no trace.. besides the surfaces would never touch the cakes... although i suppose if it did leave some trace the water that evaporates from the surfaces would be tainted? could someone confirm this because it sounds false to me
"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~

nibpack
#27 Posted : 6/11/2009 2:37:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
interesting...

is that similar to dissected soda bottle (2L) setup?

Yep same idea. I could never get the cuts right on the bottles though. I don't fan, mist or anything, and BAM! Wicked results.

benzyme
#28 Posted : 6/11/2009 3:06:19 AM

analytical chemist

psychosisdoses wrote:

lysol will cause mutations? this doesnt make sense to me why would it i was under the impression that it evaporates and leaves no trace.. besides the surfaces would never touch the cakes... although i suppose if it did leave some trace the water that evaporates from the surfaces would be tainted? could someone confirm this because it sounds false to me

a friend had heard this too, but never encountered it. obviously, don't spray the cakes with it.
it's a surfactant that may harm the mycelium if directly sprayed

psychosisdoses
#29 Posted : 6/11/2009 12:15:41 PM

Derek

since removing the foil (what two days ago?) they have seemed to start to bloom/spread much more... it looks wonderful.. on the tailend of another trip about to go to work.. ill take some pics on my lunch break

psychosisdoses
#30 Posted : 6/12/2009 12:06:40 AM

Derek

please move to the new mushroom subform Smile

psychosisdoses
#31 Posted : 6/12/2009 1:52:57 AM

Derek

nibpack wrote:
benzyme wrote:

SWIM used this method for years with poor results, plus it's so labour intensive, you cant leave them alone for more than 6 hours! This year he tried clear disposable 1 ltr take away containers for each cake(a few dollars for like 20) and got amazing results, 10-20 average shrooms per cake. Plus several 10 inch+ shrooms which he'd never achieved using the usual methods.

No misting, no perlite, no fanning. I imagine it would be a better growing environment to print from too, as you're not forced to add contams to the chmber every few hours.

this sounds very interesting i may decide to use this method after all..
what style containers do you use?
do you clean them with anything?
do you dunk the cakes?

nibpack
#32 Posted : 6/12/2009 12:09:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

At first I tried re-using yoghurt containers (1.2 ltr) which worked fine, then I switched to 1.2 litre take-away containers (I ate too much yoguhurt while tripping lol)
I imagine any plastic container around the litre size will do. Just make sure your cakes will fit in there, and have some breathing room to boot.
Tupperware is probably perfect, only reason I didnt try this is tupperware costs $$$ if you need 15+ containers.
The shrooms wont have heaps of room, but if you're harvesting at the right stage, then at the worst your shrooms will be a 'lil bent due to lack of headroom.

I wash the containers in soapy hot water then rinse very well, also in hot water. I try to leave a few drops of water in the container to help raise humidity after the cake is first introduced.

I never bother dunking cakes, with an average of 15 shrooms a cake, why bother?

This method is really worth a try, I got much much better results like this than with a $200 double chamber setup that had to be constantly monitored.

psychosisdoses
#33 Posted : 6/12/2009 11:31:47 PM

Derek

looking around iv found a few different containers that look promising

dimensions 12.5H x 4.50 Diameter.
price 7.20+shipping each

\
dimensions 6.5W x 10H x 6D.
price 10.20+shipping each

dimensions H = 5.25" D = 4.625"
price .67+shipping each

.... am i on the right track what kinda dimensions are preferred?

fourthripley
#34 Posted : 6/13/2009 12:10:15 AM
DMT-Nexus member

If you're going ghetto 3lt bottled water containers work as good as anythingSmile
mistakes were made

psychosisdoses
#35 Posted : 6/13/2009 2:59:48 AM

Derek

fourthripley wrote:
If you're going ghetto 3lt bottled water containers work as good as anythingSmile

cut the top off then saran wrap?

nibpack
#36 Posted : 6/13/2009 11:57:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I can't vouch for anything over the litre and a half size as i havent tried them, but it's certainly worth a shot. In fact the only drawback to using take away containers that I can see is that they tend to cramp a large shroom a little. Those longer ones should solve this and perhaps provide the ultimate in cheap grow setups!

psychosisdoses
#37 Posted : 6/14/2009 1:46:50 AM

Derek

i was thinking maybe have a layer of wet perlite in the bottom still... because i was thinking how would it stay humid in there... then i was also thinking what about droplets?

thoughts?

nibpack
#38 Posted : 6/14/2009 4:57:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I imagine anything over 1.5 litres would need some perlite to keep the humidity up, but why bother when you can get fine results using a smaller tub? As I said I havent tested larger than 1.2 litre containers either.
The beauty of this "lazy man's" method is the tiny amount of effort it requires; birth into container, wait, harvest. That's it. Once you start using perlite then you need to add peroxide to it and so forth, and fan it which adds contams. You may as well have a fully fledged grow chamber by that stage.

About droplets, yeah a little water will collect in the bottom of the container- it's harmless. Simply pour it out whenever you harvest the shrooms.

psychosisdoses
#39 Posted : 6/14/2009 2:02:55 PM

Derek

i cant seem to find containers that look like what im imagining
are the ones you use square or round and tall?
and where do you get them?

psychosisdoses
#40 Posted : 6/14/2009 3:07:47 PM

Derek

these puppies are really starting to take off Very happy
i get so giddy watching their progress i check morning and night and can see progress each time Very happy
and it may be just my imagination but i swear my rooms starting to smell like shrooms (which i love)
and the box definitly smells like shrooms..

"im lovin it"
psychosisdoses attached the following image(s):
mycel5.jpg (43kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
mycel4.jpg (43kb) downloaded 40 time(s).

PREV1234NEXT»