We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
failed first attempt Options

tmdtmd
#1 Posted : 5/29/2009 4:39:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello Hyperspace

SWIM recently attempted an extraction and got very small/barely noticeable yields. SWIM used Norman's Tek but instead of the ammonia wash used step 7 from Volvin's Tek. I have provided a link to Norman's Tek and reproduced the step from Volvin's below. SWIM hypothesizes that there are several reasons for the failure.
1) only 50 g on MHRB were used. how much yield should SWIM have expected to get?
2) the recrystalization process dissolved much of SWIM's product. is recrystalization really worth it for a n00b to try?
3) SWIM rubbed the spice from the coffee filter that was used onto some cannabis and attempted to vaporize it at setting 8 on the Volcano Vaporizer. perhaps this was the wrong temperature?
4) perhaps combining teks wasn't a great idea.

please, if anyone has tried this combination or knows about it, can you illuminate SWIM? if not, are there any teks that are good for beginners that do NOT include a crock pot?

THANKS!

Norman's Tek

http://www.erowid.org/pl.../mimosa_chemistry1.shtml

Step from Volvin's Tek

Step 7: Washing

Naphtha from step 6
Distilled Water
Sodium Carbonate

This is a somewhat new process that is not found in many of the older tek's. This
process will try to remove as many of the foreign chemicals from the naphtha
solution as possible. Especially the lye that was added in a previous step. The
goal here is to leave only the DMT in the naphtha so that when you evaporate
you end up with pure crystals.

Begin by taking about 50 ml of Distilled water and placing it into a flask and
adding sodium carbonate to it. Just add a pinch to the water. It doesn't take
much. You will only be using this mixture for the first wash. Do not use it for the
second and third washes.

A little dab will do yah here, add only a small amount of the water/sodium
carbonate solution to your naphtha. If you have 300 ml of naphtha then you want
to put around 25 ml of the sodium carbonated water. Mix the 2 together and then
place them in a seperatory funnel. Shake the hell out of it this is the only mixing
step where the liquids separate almost immediately so no worries about too much
agitation. Separate the water from the naphtha and discard the water.

For the second and third washes you want to use only distilled water nothing
should be added. 25 ml per wash is sufficient. Perform the same procedure as
above. You should not leave the water in the naphtha for too long. This means no
sitting for hours letting it 'soak' you need to get it in and out.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Xstacy
#2 Posted : 5/31/2009 4:44:21 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
1) only 50 g on MHRB were used. how much yield should SWIM have expected to get?

SWIM pulled plenty from 50g over a month period. Mind you the crystal bunches looked tiny, but when scraped was a nice little pile. SWIM could smoke this for day or for hours over and over if he did mutli-trip sessions.

Quote:
2) the recrystalization process dissolved much of SWIM's product. is recrystalization really worth it for a n00b to try?

SWIM doesnt see the need, but you will have to clean your pipe if you dont, that seems to be the only pro.

Quote:
3) SWIM rubbed the spice from the coffee filter that was used onto some cannabis and attempted to vaporize it at setting 8 on the Volcano Vaporizer. perhaps this was the wrong temperature?

No idea on the Volc, SWIM uses the crack pipe.

Quote:
4) perhaps combining teks wasn't a great idea.

Save combining teks for when you are good with one. It's really hard to screw up a tek unless you dont follow it completely. I would try the STB as it has less places to screw up.

Literally, water in a jar 750mL 50g of ground bark, 50g of lye and wait. Add Naptha,end over end or shake, let it settle and pull, freeze the naptha for a few hours, pour naptha back into jar (reuse is good), set dish aside to dry(SWIM waits hours to ensure its dry), scrape and smoke. First pull is almost always all white crystals. As the pulls go on, slightly more yellow.

SWIM has found that patience is the most important step. SWIM has wasted so much spice due to being impatient.
All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed - Doug Stanhope.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson

RocketScientist
#3 Posted : 6/1/2009 4:11:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

1) Estimates of DMT content range from 0.5% to 1%. Practically you should expect around 0.4%-0.5% by mass on your first pull, although bear in mind it will be things like moisture and plant fats as well, even if in small quantities.

2) There are few ways for recrystallisation to go wrong, although its not really necessary. You will inevitably lose some DMT as well as impurities in the process. Provided you don't wash your DMT down the sink you should be fine.

Going by the fact you are unsure which tek to use means recrystallisation just isn't worth the risk and effort, its only a must if SWIT's after really really pure white crystals

3) SWIM has never tried a vaporiser, bongs work fine.

4) Combining teks can only make things worse.

In terms of easy teks you can try check these out:
Lazyman's
Marsofold's
Lextek
Noman's - SWIM tried this one with success

DMT Handbook - general wisdom covering the types of tek, SWIM suggests SWIY reads that because all the tek's fall into a category and are very similar from there on

Also if SWIY's after extensive pictorial support and a high efficiency but long winded tek try this:
Erowid A/B Tek

Good luck

obliguhl
#4 Posted : 6/1/2009 4:58:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

He's only done the sodium carbonate wash, which is pretty common and not very dangerous.

Question: Did you agitate the solution good and long enough?

acolon_5
#5 Posted : 6/1/2009 5:01:34 PM

The Great Namah

First try...

Ok, for your first try really you should follow 1 tek to the letter.

I suggest an A/B for your first try to really understand what is happening.

I no longer use any tek, but do it by feel. I've also done it over 20 times....and have gotten my own method down.

Recrystalization is simple, but if you do an A/B you don't need to clean it up. I would suggest cleaning up any STB tek you do (although 50g won't yield enough spice to even worry about it).

As far as smoking, I always suggest now that people use the leaf bed method. It is almost fool proof. Once they have a few breakthrougs under their belt if you want to switch to a vaporizer, be my guest. They are harder to work and very easy to burn your spice in (making it inactive).

A bong has broken through friends of mine that don't smoke ANYTHING on the first and every try.

Leaf bed in a bong, I can't stress that smoking method enough.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

tmdtmd
#6 Posted : 6/4/2009 3:36:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

RocketScientist wrote:
1) Estimates of DMT content range from 0.5% to 1%. Practically you should expect around 0.4%-0.5% by mass on your first pull, although bear in mind it will be things like moisture and plant fats as well, even if in small quantities.

So with 50g MHRB SWIM should expect 200-250mg of spice/impurities?

After SWIM researched the DMT manual and saw that crockpots are recommended (and pretty cheap) SWIM has reevaluated and now thinks it may be a good idea to buy a crockpot. Any thoughts?

tmdtmd
#7 Posted : 6/4/2009 3:45:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl wrote:
Quote:

He's only done the sodium carbonate wash, which is pretty common and not very dangerous.

Question: Did you agitate the solution good and long enough?

SWIM thinks so. There seemed to be a good amount of crystals before recrystallization, yet they were small nonetheless. After the wash SWIM had an amount so small it was difficult to see the spice, let alone store it somewhere. SWIM does not like usiing coffee filters and a funnel as a seperatory funnel.