We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Do solvents form unwanted compounds when replacing them in a recipe? Options

Ufostrahlen
#1 Posted : 9/10/2013 1:39:17 PM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

So I want to make a Calea ternifolia (aka zacatechichi) extract in the fashion presented in this paper: Mayagoitia, L; Diaz, J; Contreras, C (1986). "Psychopharmacologic analysis of an alleged oneirogenic plant: Calea zacatechichi". Journal of Ethnopharmacology 18 (3): 229–43. doi:10.1016/0378-8741(86)90002-4. PMID 3821139.

Quote:
Quote:
One kilogram of the dried plant (stem and leaves)
was mashed and extracted with hexane until exhaustion [..]
The remaining material was thoroughly extracted with methanol
and the organic fraction evaporated.

The hexane should be no problem, I'll use a low boiling Petroleum ether (40-60 °C). However, in order to save money, I'd like to replace the Methanol. I know that Methanol is a great polar protic solvent - the next best thing to it in my stock is Acetone and IPA. I'd like to do an Acetone pull first, because it's easier to evaporate than IPA. I see that Acetone lacks an H to form additional bonds, but this can be fixed by a second IPA pull.

My question now is: do Acetone and IPA form new (and unwanted) compounds, when replacing the MeOH? In the paper they've tested the MeOH extract thoroughly, but with the new twist I'm a little bit worried.
Or is a polar pull with water no different than a polar pull with Acetone or MeOH? Maybe someone could give me a hint towards the underlying principle. Thanks!
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

DreaMTripper
#2 Posted : 9/10/2013 1:47:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No acetone and IPA are safely miscible no new compound is formed. Acetone is actually a metabolite of alcohol.

Ufostrahlen
#3 Posted : 9/10/2013 3:38:12 PM

Thanks! Good to know. Maybe I'll make a 80:20 Acetone:IPA mixture so my solvent has some H-atoms to form H-bonds, yet the boiling point stays low.

However, I expressed myself unclear.

I want to know, if Acetone or IPA triggers a chemical reaction with the plant compounds MeOH does not. I understand polar solvents in that way, that they form bonds with the salts in the plant, that will later break (due to heat?) when the solvent evaporates.
What I don't know, is if Acetone or IPA forms a bond with a salt or other compound in the plant matter, that later won't break and may cause problems.

I want to get the same extract (quality-wise, not quantity-wise) that a MeOH extract does. Can this be done?
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

DreaMTripper
#4 Posted : 9/11/2013 11:27:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That depends on the polarisation of the solvent, a quick google will give you a comparison of the three.
Then you will have to research the chemical make up of Calea ternifolia and determine the solubility of such.
I think you answered your own question that acetone and ipa will dissolve some salts as they are not 100% non polar.
Even naptha for example has been seen to dissolve excess citric acid.

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 9/11/2013 12:22:44 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Ufostrahlen wrote:
Thanks! Good to know. Maybe I'll make a 80:20 Acetone:IPA mixture so my solvent has some H-atoms to form H-bonds, yet the boiling point stays low.

However, I expressed myself unclear.

I want to know, if Acetone or IPA triggers a chemical reaction with the plant compounds MeOH does not. I understand polar solvents in that way, that they form bonds with the salts in the plant, that will later break (due to heat?) when the solvent evaporates.
What I don't know, is if Acetone or IPA forms a bond with a salt or other compound in the plant matter, that later won't break and may cause problems.

I want to get the same extract (quality-wise, not quantity-wise) that a MeOH extract does. Can this be done?

The best alternative (quality-wise) for methanol is water, at least if used as described in your first post. Of course water won't be evaporating as fast as methanol.

Your second alternative is ethanol obviously and will evaporate fast.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Ufostrahlen
#6 Posted : 9/11/2013 7:40:31 PM

Thank you guys for your answers. Good idea with the water, I was very focused on boiling points, so I haven't thought about that. Well, I have some time left to think about choosing the right solvent, while the leaves dry.

MaNoMaNoM
#7 Posted : 9/20/2013 10:28:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Very interested how it turns out, as i have Calea Zacatekichi too.
Will you extract into the water by heat? ....and then evaporation.

Is there a specific molecule you are after Drool
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE

Ufostrahlen
#8 Posted : 9/20/2013 12:36:11 PM

MaNoMaNoM wrote:
Very interested how it turns out, as i have Calea Zacatekichi too.
Will you extract into the water by heat? ....and then evaporation.

Is there a specific molecule you are after Drool

Mhh, my calea plants turned out to be 10g dry and inactive material Sad Since it was only 10g, I ate the whole batch and my dreams didn't intensify.
My original plan was to adhere to the paper, since they've tested the extract thoroughly. Water seems to be fine, but evaporating ~300 ml at room temperature takes a lot of time. That's why I wanted MeOH... I don't have a specific molecule in mind, as the plant is poorly researched. A full spectrum extract should do fine.

Auxin
#9 Posted : 9/20/2013 10:46:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

One thing often neglected with acetone is to only consider it for pH neutral extractions.
For extracting dried foliage is should generally be benign but if the system becomes significantly acidic or basic acetone becomes chemically reactive and will react with itself forming much higher boiling compounds as well as reacting with several classes of chemical compounds.
...so probably fine here, and not known to cause probs when used in neutral Salvia extractions, but not so much when people use it in a STB extraction, or something like that.

Ufostrahlen
#10 Posted : 9/21/2013 8:31:20 AM

Thank you Auxin for this information! Good to know. Being a chem noob, I have to stick to proven paths, but I also like to extend my knowledge.

MaNoMaNoM
#11 Posted : 9/24/2013 5:29:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So acetone is bad, unless used in a neutral extractions... Good to know!

Would you please go over the steps in your process, please Very happy ?
CaleaZ tea, with CaleaZ smoke before bed, turned out a success.

I hope to make an extract sometime this year.. Would an A/B with xylene be a full spectrum?
*ALL WAYS WITH LOVE