We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Heptane vs VM&P Naptha - Quick question Options

PatternAgainst
#1 Posted : 7/22/2007 4:01:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Are the fumes from Heptane worse than those from VM&P Naptha? Or is there anything one should know when using Heptane in place of Naptha? Love and Light.
...Wildflower seed in the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

quantumbrujo
#2 Posted : 7/24/2007 9:12:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Naptha is a very general name.And chances are that the naptha you use is more than likely heptane with fractions of hexane.Not all brands of naptha are the same.The brand I use is called Rechochem Camping fuel and it is almost pure heptane with fractions of hexane.I hear that the "Ozark Trail" brand from Walmart is a good one but I never tried it.Just look up the MSDS sheets for whatever brand you plan on using
I tried to say no to drugs but they wouldn't listen

stuff3232
#3 Posted : 8/1/2007 12:06:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has another question regarding heptane and naptha. SWIM has read that pure heptane (Bestine) is superior to use when doing a recrystallization. However, is heptane preferred to naptha when performing the primary extractions of the alks from the basified mixture (as in Noman's tek)? If SWIM was doing Noman's tek, is there any advantage to purchasing both naptha and bestine, or would the Bestine alone be sufficient? Thanks for your help, SWIM as been studying quite a lot lately and appreciates the quality of info at the Nexus.

Noman
#4 Posted : 8/1/2007 5:27:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member