We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Copper scrubber - will this be okay with a GVG?? Options

gibran2
#21 Posted : 9/17/2013 9:34:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

dmt_spider wrote:
Just an update on this.

I received my ceramic filters today. However, they were the wrong size. They sent me the smaller type which measures 7/16". I've contacted the company to see if I can get the correct size seeing as that's what I ordered and paid for.

However, this size appears to still cover the hole at the bottom of the GVG inlet to the chamber. I have not tried it out, but from what I have seen today I'm thinking these smaller sized filters will still work. Maybe another question might be whether or not they hold all the spice? I imagine their surface area will still far exceed that of a small ball of copper from a chore boy, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Summ0n, you ordered the smaller type - did your order arrive yet, and if so, what are your experiences with them (if you've had a chance to use them)?

I use the smaller size and they work great. Just as you said, they cover the hole in the bowl completely, and their smaller size means there’s less contact with the glass sidewalls. I haven’t tried the larger size, but the smaller size seems to work very well.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

dmt_spider
#22 Posted : 9/17/2013 11:39:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting, this makes me feel a bit better about them sending the wrong size! Smile

I'm wondering if it is best to keep just one of the original screens in the bowl for the ceramic disc to sit on, that way the rough ceramic is not making contact with the glass at the bottom of the bowl...and also because I seem to be having a tough time getting the screen out with tweezers. Embarrased

How do other folks get their screens out easily?

DudeMeetTyler
#23 Posted : 9/25/2013 5:12:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dmt_spider wrote:
it seems that the one GVG owners want is the "Spherical Ground Glass" model @ 9/16", or if you are a metric person like me, 14.28mm

I ordered myself a pair of these ceramic filters, fitted for the spherical ground glass model. Upon placing them in the GVG there is a lot of contact with the walls, particularly the indent right above the screen (on the inside of the bowl).

I am not sure how much of a problem this will prove, for leakage and such.

I will update once I have tried them out.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be a sorry state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny"

"My orders were to test the drug...It works" Bass Association by Far Too Loud

Profile Picture by David Aronson, http://www.alchemicalwedding.com/index.html

dmt_spider
#24 Posted : 9/26/2013 1:24:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DudeMeetTyler wrote:
dmt_spider wrote:
it seems that the one GVG owners want is the "Spherical Ground Glass" model @ 9/16", or if you are a metric person like me, 14.28mm

I ordered myself a pair of these ceramic filters, fitted for the spherical ground glass model. Upon placing them in the GVG there is a lot of contact with the walls, particularly the indent right above the screen (on the inside of the bowl).

I am not sure how much of a problem this will prove, for leakage and such.

I will update once I have tried them out.

Interesting. My guess is that it won't make much of a difference. I have a set of the larger size being shipped to me as we speak, so when that arrives I will have both sizes and will be able to compare.

In my original post I just assumed gibran had the larger size based purely on how it looked inside his GVG from the photo.

If the size you received is too big, I wonder if you could wear it down somehow to make it fit a bit better? A crude but simple method might be to rub it along some cement / concrete or similar?

Let us know how it goes though...

Karnov
#25 Posted : 9/28/2013 3:24:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is there a source of safe ceramic filter material like this that is not intended for vapes? Just trying to cut down on cost and find an "off-label" use for a cheaper product--hopefully in a smaller size to fit inside a glass blowing tube (which is the chamber for my vaping apparatus).

Thanks for any advice.

Cool

dmt_spider
#26 Posted : 10/9/2013 3:57:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Update - I have now received both sizes of ceramic disc - see information in my original post at the beginning of this thread.

SILK
#27 Posted : 11/26/2013 10:28:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a lot for the posts and updates spider!

anrchy
#28 Posted : 11/27/2013 4:31:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Given that ceramic is usually cut with a diamond blade I doubt that grinding it against concrete would do much.

I once tried reducing that outer diameter of a solid ceramic chunk with a mini grinder and all it did was wear off the teeth on the bit.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

Doodazzle
#29 Posted : 11/27/2013 4:59:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Find a local tile guy/mason. Befriend him. Turn him on to the deems. Bada-bing, bada-boom, you getcher ceramic grinded.

Sorry!

Or go to the hardware store and get some tools. You have a drill or a dremel? There's attachments that should serve better than cement blocks or whatever. Ten dollars for a diamond bit for a dremel. Fixee right up.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

dmt_spider
#30 Posted : 11/27/2013 10:03:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I haven't tried it (wearing them down by rubbing them against some masonry) on any of the larger sized ceramic discs that I have, but when I do I will report back as to whether it was successful or not.

crystalsnakes
#31 Posted : 12/12/2013 10:41:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I attempted to round the bottom of one of the 7/16" ceramic filters with some fine grit sandpaper, but I accidentally sanded off a bit too much. In a blind rage, I crushed the filter into little bits with just my thumb and index finger!
The nuclear family is a cauldron for the production of neurosis

dmt_spider
#32 Posted : 12/12/2013 10:24:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So, it would appear the filters are quite fragile, and easily sanded (and crushed)? I can tell they are brittle but wasn't sure how easily they could be sanded down. Some are saying to use a dremel but I still think rubbing on a bit of smooth concrete or brickwork could be easier. Or even sandpaper like you have done. Maybe it would be best to use a finer grit of sandpaper next time? Do you have more filters you can try it with?

Entheogenerator
#33 Posted : 12/12/2013 10:41:28 PM

Homo discens

dmt_spider wrote:
I'm wondering if it is best to keep just one of the original screens in the bowl for the ceramic disc to sit on, that way the rough ceramic is not making contact with the glass at the bottom of the bowl...

From my understanding, this would allow more air to go around the ceramic disc, rather than through it, therefore lowering the efficiency of the GVG + ceramic flavor disc method.

Karnov wrote:
Is there a source of safe ceramic filter material like this that is not intended for vapes? Just trying to cut down on cost and find an "off-label" use for a cheaper product--hopefully in a smaller size to fit inside a glass blowing tube (which is the chamber for my vaping apparatus).

I would suggest SuperWool 607 HT ceramic fiber, as recommended in the directions for making The Inspirator.
"It's all fun and games until someone loses an I" - Ringworm
Attitude PageHealth & SafetyFAQKnown Substance InteractionsExtraction TeksThe Machine

crystalsnakes
#34 Posted : 12/13/2013 9:13:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

dmt_spider wrote:
Do you have more filters you can try it with?

I was reluctant to get more than one, but it looks like I'll be purchasing several of them next time.
The nuclear family is a cauldron for the production of neurosis

PREV12