We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Copper scrubber - will this be okay with a GVG?? Options

dmt_spider
#1 Posted : 9/4/2013 7:04:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I can't get a chore boy brand scrubber in my area - will this do the job instead?

http://www.dykeanddean.c...s/copper-pot-scrubbers-1

Thanks for any input.

EDIT re new information on ceramic discs:

After receiving both the "Spherical Ground Glass" model @ 9/16", and the "Standard Glass/Ground Glass" @ 7/16" and testing them for fit in my GVG, it seems the SMALLER size might actually be the best one. The larger size seems to sit on the lip above the port into GVG vapor chamber, whereas the smaller disc fits inside and covers the port completely no matter where it is positioned (hope this makes sense).

I believe though that the larger size can be modified the suit - I haven't tried it but I expect gently rubbing the ceramic disc against a bit of masonry such as concrete or a brick with be enough to gradually shape it down to the desired size, they are small and quite brittle.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

corpus callosum
#2 Posted : 9/4/2013 7:29:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

If its 100% copper then its pretty much identical to the Choreboy version and thus (as) good for your needs.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Metanoia
#3 Posted : 9/4/2013 8:19:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This made me think of a thread, figured I'd link it here:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=449162#post449162

dmt_spider
#4 Posted : 9/4/2013 10:07:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks very much for the prompt responses. I can't find for certain any information that says it is 100% copper, but I figure if it is coated with something I can melt that off with a butane lighter. If it actually comprised of copper and some other added metals, then they will hopefully not be present in a high enough concentration to make a difference to its effectiveness. Always wondered how they stop the copper scrubbers from oxidizing in their packages before they are bought and used though.

3rdI
#5 Posted : 9/4/2013 10:13:20 AM

veni, vidi, spici

Hello dmt_spider,

I would get one (or a couple) of the ceramic sponges from the thread that Dioxippus posted, they are the perfect solution to your problem, they are much better than copper ribbon IMHO.
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

dmt_spider
#6 Posted : 9/5/2013 4:24:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You've twisted my arm, I'll order a couple of those ceramic filters. I have a Vector Volt butane lighter on the way too:

http://www.ebay.com.au/i...ce952a8d&_uhb=1#shId

Will that do the job? It was cheaper for me to get that than the Turboflame Arc and appears to essentially be the same thing.

dmt_spider
#7 Posted : 9/5/2013 4:37:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Also, I can't seem to reply in the "Bye-Bye Choreboy" topic (maybe because I am a new member?).

What I need to know is, if I order from this website:

http://silversurfervap.c...ceramic-flavor-disc.html

Which "wand style" do I need to select? That website looks like it is run by the same people as the lifesaber vape, but shipping to me (outside of the USA) is half price (lifesabervaporizer quoted over $40 shipping for 5 discs).

But in order to add it to my cart, I need to select whether I have a "Standard Glass/Ground Glass" or a "Spherical Ground Glass" - I'm assuming for the GVG I should select the latter?

3rdI
#8 Posted : 9/5/2013 9:12:00 AM

veni, vidi, spici

morning dmt_spider,

that lighter will be fine as long as it works, the ARC is expensive but its quality and mine hasn't missed a beat in over 2 years, where as every other torch I have had has failed quite quickly. there is nothing worse than lighter failure when your half way through vaping a dose, but hopefully the one you have ordered will be fine.

I don't remember which option I selected when I ordered my ceramic sponge, it might be worth emailing them to ask what the difference is, if you do find out what the difference is, if there is one, can you post back and let us know. cheers
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

fool of the year

dmt_spider
#9 Posted : 9/5/2013 10:15:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the advice 3rdI - I've shot them an email so we'll see how that goes. GVG came in the mail today, very impressed - can't wait to try it out!

3rdI
#10 Posted : 9/5/2013 10:35:10 AM

veni, vidi, spici

Thumbs up
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

fool of the year

Parshvik Chintan
#11 Posted : 9/5/2013 12:46:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dmt_spider wrote:
But in order to add it to my cart, I need to select whether I have a "Standard Glass/Ground Glass" or a "Spherical Ground Glass" - I'm assuming for the GVG I should select the latter?

i know that standard glass is identical to the pictured filters.
i just assumed spherical ground glass was an actual sphere of silicon carbide foam.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!
ๆจน

dmt_spider
#12 Posted : 9/6/2013 12:28:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I received a reply back from silversurfervap (they are run by 7thfloor which also run the lightsabervap website).

Here is what they said when asked about the dimensions for the ceramic filters:

Quote:
The "Standard Glass/Ground Glass" is compatible with our 7/16" flavor disc and the "Spherical Ground Glass" is compatible with our 9/16" flavor disc.

According to the VaporGenie website:

Quote:
The Glass Sherlock VaporGenie requires uses our regular 5/8" diameter screens.

I took some measurements this morning to confirm, and it seems that the one GVG owners want is the "Spherical Ground Glass" model @ 9/16", as this is closest to the 5/8" diameter screen of the GVG. Or if you are a metric person like me, 14.28mm for the "Spherical Ground Glass" ceramic filter to replace the 15.87mm GVG screen.

The 7/16 (11.11mm) size of the "Standard Glass/Ground Glass" might probably still work but you could be in danger of not covering the hole which it is supposed to fit over if it moves and rests against the inside wall of your GVG.

If someone can post this information in the previously mentioned "Bye Bye Choreboy" topic (https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=449162#post449162) I'm sure it will be useful to some people, I noticed there was at least one person living outside the USA who was asking about them so I'm sure the cheaper shipping price (flat rate of $20 International on the SSV website as opposed to over $40 on the LSV website) will be of interest.

Summ0n
#13 Posted : 9/7/2013 9:47:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi,

Thanks for the great information, I'm just sad that I got the standard ceramic ones and now realize the spherical were better since I paid 20$ s/h to canada for a 5 pack.

Does anyone know where I can find an Arc tabletop lighter for as cheap as possible that is willing to ship to canada and accepts credit card? I had order cancelled from some UK place and everyonedoesit wont ship it :/

Or maybe if someone has an even better alternative..!

I was a little surprised that the standard filter were so small, the technique to properly heat them and dump enough dmt on them without melting it is difficult, it warms quickly & also cools down quickly making it very difficult to put the spice on it efficiently, anyone has experience loading it correctly or could offer some more pointers?

Parshvik Chintan
#14 Posted : 9/7/2013 11:49:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=Summ0nDoes anyone know where I can find an Arc tabletop lighter for as cheap as possible that is willing to ship to canada and accepts credit card? I had order cancelled from some UK place and everyonedoesit wont ship it :/[/quote]
have you tried this place?
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!
ๆจน

Summ0n
#15 Posted : 9/8/2013 4:39:36 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Parshvik Chintan:

Doesnt work "This shipping method is currently unavailable. If you would like to ship using this shipping method, please contact us."

Tough to ship this here..

dmt_spider
#16 Posted : 9/8/2013 8:12:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Have you tried here?

link

3rdI
#17 Posted : 9/8/2013 9:15:14 AM

veni, vidi, spici

Thanks for the follow up info dmt_spider, very useful.
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

fool of the year

Summ0n
#18 Posted : 9/10/2013 1:39:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys, I finally found an arc that ships to Canada on the UK variant of Amazon (You have to use that website, but it works for a canadian address and probably many countrys.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...rc-Lighter/dp/B000BNTQJC

Roughly 40$CDN with shipping, not too bad!

Btw to those who read about the Soto Pocket Torch, yes it works and yes its a neat little device but I got my disposable lighters today and Im not sure yet if it happens with all of them but the trigger is very hard to press and it releases easily. I can see how this could be annoying if you're alone and you need more than 1 hit. That's actually why I still went ahead and ordered an Arc because I want a smoother trigger!

I'm testing spice for the first time wednesday!

dmt_spider
#19 Posted : 9/10/2013 2:57:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Good to hear you were able to track one down with shipping to Canada. The Arc definitely seems to be the lighter of choice. I have one on order as the Vector Volt I originally purchased was out of stock (even though it said in-stock and I had already paid for it). So when I got a refund I purchased the Arc instead.

dmt_spider
#20 Posted : 9/17/2013 12:22:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just an update on this.

I received my ceramic filters today. However, they were the wrong size. They sent me the smaller type which measures 7/16". I've contacted the company to see if I can get the correct size seeing as that's what I ordered and paid for.

However, this size appears to still cover the hole at the bottom of the GVG inlet to the chamber. I have not tried it out, but from what I have seen today I'm thinking these smaller sized filters will still work. Maybe another question might be whether or not they hold all the spice? I imagine their surface area will still far exceed that of a small ball of copper from a chore boy, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Summ0n, you ordered the smaller type - did your order arrive yet, and if so, what are your experiences with them (if you've had a chance to use them)?

12NEXT