We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Website tracking Options

Amy S
#1 Posted : 8/28/2013 9:09:02 AM

No Inside, No Out

Hey guys,

I just noticed that despite my having tracking disabled in Firefox, as well as addons preventing tracking, I was just tracked by this site, which knew my time zone, when I thought that I had done all I could to stop that kind of thing from happening. Are there better ways to prevent tracking in terms of software than what I've done? I'm not at all a techie or anything so beyond using software and proxies most things are beyond me unfortunately... The addons I use are BetterPrivacy 1.68 and PrivacyChoice TrackerBlock 2.2

Peace all

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Hieronymous
#2 Posted : 8/28/2013 10:04:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is your browser storing cookies ?
Also was that software added after you'd visited this site previously ?

My definition of tracking isn't really what you seem to think it should be, while storing cookies could be considered tracking, it's not like the trackers that are used to build a profile on you and target you for advertising.

Ghostery isn't identifying any known trackers for me on this site. It never has.

cyb
#3 Posted : 8/28/2013 10:12:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Some cookies are necessary and just store your log in info (encrypted) so you don't have to log on every time.
Run ccleaner after every session...it will wipe cookies,history,temp files etc.
(You can set it to keep the cookies that you want and wipe to rest)
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

obliguhl
#4 Posted : 8/28/2013 12:24:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You pick your timezone upon signing up and this information is then tied to your account. You can change it anytime though (edit account section).

Amy S
#5 Posted : 8/28/2013 4:12:49 PM

No Inside, No Out

Sorry I was obviously pretty unclear in the OP. By 'this site' I didn't mean the Nexus. The site I went was some forum which I had never been to before. It knew my time zone as I was signing up. I also use Ghostery, forgot to mention that, and I don't allow cookies or scripts anything except by permission. I have two or three layers of security in that regard, hence my concern. I always wipe cookies and temp files etc upon exiting Firefox and I delete history at the end of each month. I'm basically just a little shy of anonymous, or so I thought.