We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Aronia berries Options

MagicGing
#1 Posted : 7/14/2013 5:49:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So theres a somewhat long lost super healthy berry that grows along the eastern US natively.
Its called Aronia, aka chokeberry. It grows on a tree and the berries are red or blackish

Apparently the taste is slightly astringent due to incredibly high amounts of anthocyanins, which have a strong antioxident effect. Its becoming a kind of popular superfood, in a way similiar to pomegranates and avocados.

I have recently taken a stroll in the local woods and found a huuugge patch of these trees, must be extremely old trees. I have also found a few trees scattered around and ive noticed large amounts of berries about the size of commercial grapes that should be ripe in maybe a month.

There also quite popular for winemaking and jam
“The swans go on the path of the sun, they go through the ether by means of their miraculous power; the wise are led out of this world, when they have conquered Mara (desire) and his train" Dhammapada

"But is it probable," asked Pascal, "that probability gives assurance? Nothing gives certainty but truth; nothing gives rest but for the sincere search for truth"

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Whatisreal
#2 Posted : 7/14/2013 9:47:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Wow Great find brother! Just googled it and saw a few recent articles. So beautiful to find and forage wild food and medicine.
I have been eating tons of Mulberries here. We have trees growing all around, one next to the house.
No one eats them of course, except the animals and me. Very happy

MagicGing
#3 Posted : 7/15/2013 4:36:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Glad i could help
Big grin

Ive found a mulberry tree just in time for fruit and love it! Ive already extracted seeds from the fruit. I would like to start a mainly native food forest maybe next year with mulberrry, aronia, pawpaw, elderberry, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry , hog peanut, mimosa, locust, passion flower etc. and have maybe 50% of the plants there specifically to feed the soil.

You are def right about the beauty of wild foods and medicines! I cant get enough knowledge of these plants! I may have to start a native edible plants thread!!
“The swans go on the path of the sun, they go through the ether by means of their miraculous power; the wise are led out of this world, when they have conquered Mara (desire) and his train" Dhammapada

"But is it probable," asked Pascal, "that probability gives assurance? Nothing gives certainty but truth; nothing gives rest but for the sincere search for truth"