We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Can Limonene be distilled? Options

benzyme
#21 Posted : 5/10/2009 5:06:45 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

burnt wrote:
So companies can be liable for lets say selling some reagents to a home chemist who is maybe doing something that is completely legal is lets say he spilled something nasty on his skin or whatever?

yes.
typically big ones like S****-A****** will play 20 questions and request a company letterhead. they usually refuse to sell to individuals
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

benzyme
#22 Posted : 5/10/2009 5:09:34 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Infundibulum wrote:
DIY also stands for Don't Involve Yourself

(bitter counter attack from the anti-DIY enthusiasts...unfortunately true where SWIM lives at the moment)

yeah, that sort of pacifism is typical of complacent right-wing ideology. i won't rant about it here, but it's a sad aspect of the status quo; big brother's effort to protect us from ourselves Rolling eyes
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

clamshavefeelingstoo
#23 Posted : 6/14/2009 7:33:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Limonene can be distilled from orange oil. Since Limonene constitutes 90%+ of orange oil, and the common impurities boil at a lower temperature, you can distill off the first fraction... and collect the remaining Limonene at 176C, being careful not to top 198C where other impurities boil.

damiana
#24 Posted : 6/14/2009 11:37:23 PM

Cosmic Dragon

69ron wrote:
You don't need a high temperature to do it. You just need boiling water.

Just mix in some water and it distills along with it. Pretty cool.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this means that if I put boiling water into used D-limonene and mix, let separate and pull the D-limonene, it will be clean again.
PEACE

burnt
#25 Posted : 6/15/2009 9:00:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

^^No you need to distill it.

damiana
#26 Posted : 6/15/2009 7:06:08 PM

Cosmic Dragon

oh I see, okay sorry, thanks burnt.
PEACE

clamshavefeelingstoo
#27 Posted : 6/24/2009 6:54:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, you may be able to separate impurities from orange oil if they're water soluble (and assuming limonene isn't.. is it?)... but there are still other solvents in the <5% range occupying orange oil besides limonene- refer to the wikipedia article on orange oil.

PREV12