We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acetone and IPA- Differences and Similarities Options

oldsoul
#1 Posted : 6/24/2013 7:50:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm wondering the differences when using IPA and acetone. I can't get acetone where I live, however, I have access to a lot of 99% IPA.

A lot of threads/teks mention acetone, much less so for IPA. Some mention acetone and then say it may or may not work with IPA, so I can tell they're not interchangeable, but unsure why. Besides what dissolves in them, what other factors are at play?

Are there any general guidelines or rule of thumb for substitution so that I can tweak things I read about using acetone to be able to work with IPA instead?

Or, what are the relevant properties of each so that one may know when a substitution is likely to work?

Thanks!!!

One epiphany short of a paradigm shift

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Orion
#2 Posted : 6/24/2013 11:57:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is there something more specific you would like to use either one for ? Some specific manner of extraction? It's difficult to give a clear answer as to why one or the other might work without the context of their use.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

darellmatt
#3 Posted : 6/24/2013 2:31:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi,
I have been using FASI (fumaric acid saturated isopropyl alcohol) for my extractions. FASI will precipitate DMT from Xylene, toluene, and d-limonene. It probably would also do it from heptane and naptha, but why would you want to since you can freeze precip your product from those solvents. So for tek's that use xylene, toluene or d-limonene I believe you would get comparable results using FASA or FASI.

Check my last post for a very nice result using FASI.

Peace

oldsoul
#4 Posted : 6/24/2013 9:15:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Orion wrote:
Is there something more specific you would like to use either one for ? Some specific manner of extraction? It's difficult to give a clear answer as to why one or the other might work without the context of their use.

Hi Orion! Yes, at this point cleaning fumarates, but I can predict other things in the future as well.

For example in the sticky "FASA Method Outline for Beginners" there is no real mention of FASI at all.

It would be nice to know how I can apply all that info but with using FASI instead.

I figured if there were some general guidelines I could empower myself with, it would avoid asking a lot of more basic-level questions in the future.

Thanks!!!

One epiphany short of a paradigm shift

endlessness
#5 Posted : 6/24/2013 10:06:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yep you can substitute FASA for FASI and it will work just the same Smile