We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV234
The NSA snoops your email, phonecalls, chats etc. PRISM - XKeyscore Options

Cosmic Spore
#61 Posted : 2/10/2014 4:52:20 PM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

Drone Strikes Based on Metadata

A preview:

"The National Security Agency is using complex analysis of electronic surveillance, rather than human intelligence, as the primary method to locate targets for lethal drone strikes – an unreliable tactic that results in the deaths of innocent or unidentified people."

"One problem, he explains, is that targets are increasingly aware of the NSA’s reliance on geolocating, and have moved to thwart the tactic. Some have as many as 16 different SIM cards associated with their identity within the High Value Target system. Others, unaware that their mobile phone is being targeted, lend their phone, with the SIM card in it, to friends, children, spouses and family members.

Some top Taliban leaders, knowing of the NSA’s targeting method, have purposely and randomly distributed SIM cards among their units in order to elude their trackers. 'They would do things like go to meetings, take all their SIM cards out, put them in a bag, mix them up, and everybody gets a different SIM card when they leave,' the former drone operator says. 'That’s how they confuse us.'"

As a result, even when the agency correctly identifies and targets a SIM card belonging to a terror suspect, the phone may actually be carried by someone else, who is then killed in a strike."

"The Obama administration has repeatedly insisted that its operations kill terrorists with the utmost precision.

In his speech at the National Defense University last May, President Obama declared that 'before any strike is taken, there must be near-certainty that no civilians will be killed or injured – the highest standard we can set.' He added that, 'by narrowly targeting our action against those who want to kill us and not the people they hide among, we are choosing the course of action least likely to result in the loss of innocent life.'

But the increased reliance on phone tracking and other fallible surveillance tactics suggests that the opposite is true."

Really interesting stuff here (large article), I just saw a report about this today on Democracy Now! Mr. Greenwald pointed out that "they aren't targeting the (suspected) terrorists, they are targeting wherever their cell phone is ... these strikes are based on suspicion of a future crime, not yet committed".

Mr. Scahill pointed out that when innocent people are killed, that undermines our security.

There was a 16 year old American Citizen killed by drone strike over in Yemen, though that's possibly unrelated.
(not afforded a trial by jury).

New website By Jeremy Scahill and Glenn Greenwald https://firstlook.org/theintercept/

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

benzyme
#62 Posted : 2/11/2014 6:12:47 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

D2430 wrote:
The UK & US Governments, and secondarily, Canada/Aus/NZ have been sharing information like this on the Echelon Network for atleast two decades.

this

was brought to my attention two decades ago by a colleague of mine, in high school,
a bright individual who had internet access before most of us.

Echelon is a massive database, a paper/e-trail linking credit cards, bank accounts, and state-issued IDs. it is/has been maintained for intel-gathering purposes. The groundwork was laid by CIA and other intelligence agencies.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Cosmic Spore
#63 Posted : 2/18/2014 6:53:08 PM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

Cosmic Spore wrote:
Drone Strikes Based on Metadata
benzyme wrote:
[quote=D2430]The UK & US Governments, and secondarily, Canada/Aus/NZ have been sharing information like this on the Echelon Network for atleast two decades.

^ this was brought to my attention two decades ago by a colleague of mine, in high school,
a bright individual who had internet access before most of us.

Echelon is a massive database, a paper/e-trail linking credit cards, bank accounts, and state-issued IDs. it is/has been maintained for intel-gathering purposes. The groundwork was laid by CIA and other intelligence agencies.

I replied here, perhaps a better area.

Much respect <3

a1pha
#64 Posted : 3/22/2014 7:45:21 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

This one is for The Traveler (and other sysadmins out there):

Inside the NSA’s Secret Efforts to Hunt and Hack System Administrators

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

The Traveler
#65 Posted : 3/22/2014 8:55:09 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

a1pha wrote:
This one is for The Traveler (and other sysadmins out there):

Inside the NSA’s Secret Efforts to Hunt and Hack System Administrators

That is the cool part where besides the DMT-Nexus I do not do anything else. Pleased

But really, with common sense this would be clear strategy since the beginning of time no?

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Cosmic Spore
#66 Posted : 5/14/2014 7:07:00 PM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

Ufostrahlen
#67 Posted : 5/20/2014 4:53:32 AM

xͭ͆͝͏̮͔̜t̟̬̦̣̟͉͈̞̝ͣͫ͞,̡̼̭̘̙̜ͧ̆̀̔ͮ́ͯͯt̢̘̬͓͕̬́ͪ̽́s̢̜̠̬̘͖̠͕ͫ͗̾͋͒̃͛̚͞ͅ

Interesting slides - for some... maybe... Very happy

Crypto Won’t Save You Either

Peter Gutmann
University of Auckland

Wiki sez: "He has a Ph.D. in computer science from the University of Auckland. His Ph.D. thesis and a book based on the thesis were about a cryptographic security architecture."

http://regmedia.co.uk/20...6/0955_peter_gutmann.pdf

Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Ufostrahlen
#68 Posted : 5/23/2014 5:54:03 AM

Quote:
22-May-2014

What does GCHQ know about our devices that we don't?

[..] Faced with the prospect of further public scrutiny and accountability, the UK Government gave the Guardian newspaper an ultimatum: hand over the classified documents or destroy them.

Surprisingly, however, GCHQ were not just interested in hard drives nor did they destroy whole devices. [..]

During our invesitgation, we were surprised to learn that a few very specific components on devices, such as the keyboard, trackpad and monitor, were targeted along with apparently trivial chips on the main boards of laptops and desktops.

https://www.privacyinter...our-devices-that-we-dont
Internet Security: PsilocybeChild's Internet Security Walk-Through(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)
Search the Nexus with disconnect.me (anonymous Google search) by adding "site:dmt-nexus.me" (w/o the ") to your search.

Cosmic Spore
#69 Posted : 5/29/2014 1:20:23 AM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

Under the crimes which he would be charged, he would be, by law, not allowed to "make his case to the americam people", nor would he have the right to a trial by his [civilian] peers.

Edward Snowden's Motive Revealed: He Can 'Sleep at Night'

NBC News Exclusive with Brian Williams: Inside the Mind of Edward Snowden

Why Snowden waited a whole year for his TV close-up

I watched it, and I read No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State, by Glenn Greenwald.

Edit - quote from Daniel Ellsberg, 5/30/2014 on Andrea Mitchell Reports:
Daniel Ellsberg, pentagon papers whistleblower wrote:
[on the espionage act] I only found out later, the 1st amendment precludes any act that prohibits the release of classified information; we do not have an official secrets act, like most countries do because of this; these charges are unconstitutional. ... It was ruled that motive is not relevant ... in the end I did receive justice, because of another leak.

A Response to Michael Kinsley, by Glenn Greenwald
Glenn Greenwald wrote:
... So let’s recap: The New York Times chose someone to review my book about the Snowden leaks who has a record of suggesting that journalists may be committing crimes when publishing information against the government’s wishes. That journalist then proceeded to strongly suggest that my prosecution could be warranted. Other prominent journalists —including the one who hosts Meet the Press–then heralded that review without noting the slightest objection to Kinsley’s argument.

N.S.A. Collecting Millions of Faces From Web Images

Glenn Greenwald - With Liberty and Justice for some.

http://stopendlesswar.com/

Quote:
If you’re outraged by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, drone strikes and warrantless wiretapping, we can help stop them if we repeal the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF).

Attached: H. R. 4608 To repeal the Authorization for Use of Military Force, and for other purposes.

Ufostrahlen
#70 Posted : 7/4/2014 5:42:06 AM

Quote:
The NSA Is Targeting Users of Privacy Services, Leaked Code Shows

If you use Tor or any of a number of other privacy services online or even visit their web sites to read about the services, there’s a good chance your IP address has been collected and stored by the NSA, according to top-secret source code for a program the NSA uses to conduct internet surveillance.

There’s also a good chance you’ve been tagged for simply reading news articles about these services published by Wired and other sites.

http://www.wired.com/201...ers-of-privacy-services/

Quote:
Q 2:
If everyone who uses or is interested in Tor are automatically suspect,
why should anyone still use Tor? Can you explain to my readers why it
doesn't make sense to be intimidated by these recent discoveries?

A:
The data I was able to look at shows how extensive these data-grabs are.
Because of how XKeyscore and similar software works, you can't simply
evade surveillance by not using Tor. On the contrary. Instead of the two
pieces of information "Mr. John Doe is currently using Tor" and "Some
Tor user is currently watching a YouTube video" secret services will
gather the single piece of information "Mr. John Doe is currently
watching a YouTube video" if Tor is not used.

Every Tor user sends a strong message that democracy and the
proliferating surveillance of all communication are of great concern to
him or her. I can only promote campaigning for a free society.

https://wwwcip.cs.fau.de/~snsehahn/Tor-Fragen.en.txt

«PREV234