We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
What do Psychedelics Teach You? Options

Orion
#21 Posted : 6/10/2013 11:48:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
Orion wrote:
... It's about exploring another innerverse with a completely different set of rules.

Doing so, you automatically learn about life and the world too, like flip side of coin Wink
No?

Hmm... yes, that must be correct. What is my mind but a part of everything anyway, right ?
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#22 Posted : 6/11/2013 2:41:32 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Orion wrote:
Absolutely nothing at all.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

universecannon
#23 Posted : 6/11/2013 3:06:59 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

i dont think the question "is it psychedelics teaching me, or me teaching myself?" really makes any sense to begin with

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Jees
#24 Posted : 6/11/2013 6:39:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
Orion wrote:

Then it did teach at least this^^ Confused
Worth much to people with expectations or convictions about it.

Let's not forget the indirect teachings, or discard their existence.

On the fringe, a day spent in the wake is differently heeded so that this otherwise perception cannot else than have traces in life record.

Not hearing a foot making a step doesn't equal there is no foot making footprints.

Moreover, I suspect these works in the background to be very powerful in their own sneaky way. Like learning without meeting the teacher face to face, but the invisible teacher learning us by whispering from behind, while one can still proclaim: 'no teacher seen given me lessons'.

There's something in low doses too.

benzyme
#25 Posted : 6/11/2013 3:36:41 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

to me, psychedelics haven't been anything more than a means of amusement, and/or a perceptive tool; an elicitor of different ways of perceiving myself, and the world around me. I learned, only if I decided to explore further (and integrate), through historical accounts, while sober.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

jbark
#26 Posted : 6/11/2013 3:56:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

universecannon wrote:
i dont think the question "is it psychedelics teaching me, or me teaching myself?" really makes any sense to begin with

I agree. You only ever teach yourself, so the statement is redundant to me. Someone or something (teacher, drug, game, book) may facilitate that learning, but the learning is not only something that happens interiorly, it is in fact largely a question of choice. We choose to learn, whether it be from a book, a professor, a cup of amazonian tea or a friendly game of chess.

It is a question of attention as much as intention.

A semantic quibbling perhaps, but the question the OP should ask is :

"What have you learned from psychedelics?"

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Metanoia
#27 Posted : 6/11/2013 6:34:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
to me, psychedelics haven't been anything more than a means of amusement, and/or a perceptive tool; an elicitor of different ways of perceiving myself, and the world around me. I learned, only if I decided to explore further (and integrate), through historical accounts, while sober.

The first time I read this, I disagreed. Then I read it a few more times, and now I can't help but agree with it.

The mystical, supernatural-loving side of me believes that there is knowledge being imparted by the substances themselves. That the plants themselves have an awareness and communicate these ideas when you take them into your body.

Then the rational side of me thinks exactly how you do benzyme.

I don't think I'd like to see it one way or the other. Seeing both sides of it makes it far more interesting. Confusing, but interesting.

benzyme
#28 Posted : 6/11/2013 7:02:26 PM

analytical chemist

I guess the take home message is, the phenomena is an experience. like any life experience,
if you choose to integrate the experience, and expand upon it in a way such that it is imprinted in your memory, then perhaps you've learned from it. That's the process of learning in general.

I've embraced a certain aesthetic, and sometimes an atypical way of thinking, inspired by psychedlic use. Those qualities may have been there before, but I learned of various art, music, and philosophies by actively seeking them out after those experiences.

but it comes down to a choice. I've known many people who've chosen to do psychs simply for fun, and they haven't necessarily learned anything from them. Their lifestyle choices, personalities, thought processes, and aesthetic sensibilities reflect this.

Nils
#29 Posted : 6/13/2013 12:46:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread
#30 Posted : 6/13/2013 12:53:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That, one way or another, everything is going to be okay.
Thumbs up
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Walter D. Roy
#31 Posted : 6/13/2013 4:08:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
everything is going to be okay.
Thumbs up

Thumbs up
The Unknown = A Place to Learn

jbark
#32 Posted : 6/13/2013 4:30:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Uhhh... sorry OP... jumped on my high horse and didn't even answer your question! Embarrased

I have taught myself:

Humility, fear, that states of bliss exist, perspective, perspective robbed, terror, a certainty that all my certainty is assuredly uncertain, a new sense of spirituality based in the ineffable, joy, anxiety, peace, hunger, satiation, wonder, bewilderment, awe, depression, elevation, a rush of libido then equally robbed of it, uncertainty, smiles, laughter, tears (of joy and sadness and horror), frowns, self abasement, a lingering sense of invincibility, the value of thought and that this value is only equaled, and likely exceeded, by the value of non-thought.

QUITE THE PACKAGE. Smile

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Agave
#33 Posted : 6/14/2013 4:45:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was just thinking about what jbark said about non thought when I remembered a sort of epiphany I had not too long ago. It went something like- It's not what I know or have been taught that matters so much as the stuff I've been able to unlearn. All the lifelong conditioning and learned behavior that wants to fulfil the expectation of something I really am not. I think it occurred to me that it is not so important to gain or define things (including thoughts) when maybe it's better to just let go of a lot of stuff that doesn't matter. At any rate, I suppose that is a kind of teaching in itself.
As Within, So Without.

Baby Bonnie Hood
#34 Posted : 6/22/2013 1:01:51 PM

Grey jedi

The short answer would be that they've helped me a lot with my personal growth. I know:

-That I am not all that I can be
-That I have more fears than I would like to think
-That I care more about other people than myself
-That everything is relative: especially joy and suffering
-That you should never trust the government about anything really
-That I should appreciate what I have, not feel bad about what I don't have
-That not a single religion has a patent on the truth
My threads: Intro - DMT first time - My mushrooms

I'm not all that I can be....

Orion
#35 Posted : 6/22/2013 2:35:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
benzyme wrote:
Orion wrote:

Then it did teach at least this^^ Confused
Worth much to people with expectations or convictions about it.

Let's not forget the indirect teachings, or discard their existence.

On the fringe, a day spent in the wake is differently heeded so that this otherwise perception cannot else than have traces in life record.

Not hearing a foot making a step doesn't equal there is no foot making footprints.

Moreover, I suspect these works in the background to be very powerful in their own sneaky way. Like learning without meeting the teacher face to face, but the invisible teacher learning us by whispering from behind, while one can still proclaim: 'no teacher seen given me lessons'.

There's something in low doses too.

The the part where I am quoted is one part of my original statement. The other may make it clearer, or perhaps make it even more difficult to understand. Another equally valid statement would be 'I have no idea'.

Yes there are feet making tracks, yes there are sounds falling upon noones ears, and of course there are connections being made in my brain which I have no idea about. But psychedelics have offered me nothing concrete. This is part of the reason I like them. The experience is not as rigid as reality (though it is a part of reality, we just talk about it like it's separate). I can only say what I see or remember seeing. No hallucination has ever spoken directly to me, but simply illustrated it's reckless creativity which I believe stems from myself, my own subconscious genius which I (and this is true for all of you) can tap into.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Mel Angel
#36 Posted : 6/22/2013 2:59:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

For me psychedelics have the ability to completely change my mind and thought processes on anything that matters to me. DMT/psychedelics can break that OCD conditioned behavior of being stuck in that repetitive feedback loop cycle of whatever you are thinking about. I've gotten better at integrating DMT experiences...which is difficult. Usually when you think you're having a bad trip, it's because of a bunch of negative bullshit inside you. Once you realize what's bothering you during the afterglow period you start to feel better....these can be the most healing DMT sessions from what I noticed.

edge2054
#37 Posted : 6/22/2013 4:06:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

To give up the war inside my head, quit killing my feelings, and love and appreciate myself.

Baby Bonnie Hood
#38 Posted : 6/23/2013 11:42:05 AM

Grey jedi

edge2054 wrote:
To give up the war inside my head, quit killing my feelings, and love and appreciate myself.

That too ofc - but in my case I'm unsure if I should credit it to psychedelics or just normal aging.
My threads: Intro - DMT first time - My mushrooms

I'm not all that I can be....

Walter D. Roy
#39 Posted : 6/24/2013 4:56:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you everyone for these great replies!

But to answer everything I want to bring a quote from Terence Mckenna. "One time the mushroom told me: This is how it looks before humanity shoots to the stars."

He says the mushroom speaks to you, that you can converse with it.

And he says the mushroom can speak. Does this mean that there is an actual entity that you encounter? How could you speak and be lectured by your own subconscious?

is there actual knowledge out there? Not just lessons about your life and problems. But scientific knowledge, mathematical knowledge?
The Unknown = A Place to Learn

Nils
#40 Posted : 6/24/2013 5:46:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Walter D. Roy wrote:
is there actual knowledge out there? Not just lessons about your life and problems. But scientific knowledge, mathematical knowledge?

I highly doubt it. Terrance and his brother tried this, through most of their lives, and never came up with anything substantial. That whole timewave thing is super bunk and that's as close to "scientific knowledge" they ever got. I personally believe there is truth to be found in psychedelics, but it is not scientific truth. Science is objective. Psychedelics are subjective.

PREV123NEXT