We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Didn't Dry My Acetone... Options

Ambient
#1 Posted : 4/25/2009 1:43:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So I have DMT Citrate in acetone, but I forgot to dry it before use. The FASA is dry. Could I just add calcium chloride to the DMT Citrate acetone solution, or would the calcium chloride react with the DMT Citrate in some way?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

memo
#2 Posted : 4/25/2009 3:33:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

FASA is dry? Do you mean CASA is dry ( Citric Acid Saturated Acetone)? I think that you could probably add a drier to the solution but if the citrate is dissolved in the water it may not stay in solution when the water is removed. I would recommend anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate for the drier. Did you get any precipitated dmt citrate. If you did then pour off the acetone and air dry that. It might be best to evap the damp acetone to collect any dissolved citrate.
Avatar art created by unknown Cambodian or Laotian. Everything else is fiction.

Ambient
#3 Posted : 4/25/2009 7:05:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

No, I'm using the FASA method. I added CASA, which I forgot to dry, to my mimosa and pulled. So I have DMT Citrate in the CASA right now and it isn't dry. I want to precipitate DMT Fumarate by adding FASA to the CASA, but the CASA is not dry, so it will not precipitate because DMT Fumarate is soluble in water. My question was could I add calcium chloride to the CASA containing DMT Citrate to dry it, filter out the calcium chloride, and then add the FASA. Or would the calcium chloride react with the citrate?

SpasticSpaz
#4 Posted : 4/25/2009 7:41:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hmmmm, Calcium chloride can react with amines (ie, the DMT), it's probably better to use oven-dried epsom salts.

But yes, adding a drying agent, filtering it out, then proceeding as normal will work.

Ambient
#5 Posted : 4/25/2009 7:46:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

What would the product be?

DMT Citrate + CaCl2 ---> ???

memo
#6 Posted : 4/25/2009 10:41:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You wouldn't "pull" with CASA or FASA. These are saturated so they cannot hold anything much more in solution. You pull with the straight dry acetone then add the FASA or CASA. The dmt freebase then becomes the salt form which isn't soluble in acetone and precipitates out as either dmt fumerate or dmt citrate. If you tried pulling your mimosa with CASA the dmt should still be in the mimosa.

Ambient
#7 Posted : 4/25/2009 11:13:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

My mistake. I didn't mean CASA. I'm using 5g/100ml. Converts DMT Freebase to DMT Citrate and pulls at the same time.
I'm still wondering, will DMT and CaCl2 react? And if so, what will it form?

memo
#8 Posted : 4/25/2009 11:33:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't know what calcium chloride and dmt would do and I'm totally confused about how you are converting the dmt into something insoluble in acetone and pulling it at the same time. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable chemist types on here will give you a hand. Maybe I can learn something.
Good luck!

Ambient
#9 Posted : 4/25/2009 11:45:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well I can explain what my plan was. Pull with 5g citric acid per 100ml acetone. You then have DMT citrate in acetone (Dmt citrate is soluble in acetone). If it was dry, I would then add FASA. All the DMT would precipitate over the course of a few days as DMT Fumarate because the fumarate salt is completely insoluble in acetone. Then filter and you have DMT fumarate crystals.

My problem is that my DMT citrate acetone solution isn't dry, so when I add the FASA, nothin will happen because DMT fumarate is soluble in water.

memo
#10 Posted : 4/26/2009 12:31:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I read up on the TEK that you are using. It looks like it was developed by Infundibulum. I didn't realize that dmt citrate was soluble in acetone. Infundibulum is quite knowledgable but I would think that since the acetone is fairly saturated with citric acid it wouldn't be able to hold as much dmt when doing a wash. Let's see if we can get him in on this conversation. I'll PM him. I do know that I have been suspect of side reactions a couple of times when I was using calcium chloride as a drying agent. I think that it would be a good idea to either buy or make some anhydrous Magnesium Sulfate and use that as a drier for a couple of days before adding the FASA to do the conversion. You can take Epsom salts and bake them @ 400 deg. F for an hour to convert it into anhydrous magnesium sulfate which is optimum for drying acetone.

amor_fati
#11 Posted : 4/26/2009 1:11:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

That's a highly experimental tek, mind you. SWIM has no experience with this tek or calcium chloride and is quite certain that nearly no other SWIY's on this forum do either. Anhydrous magnesium sulfate might do the trick, but it would be quite sloppy operating for such an experimental technique. The best bet would be to evaporate and redissolve in dry acetone. Neither way is a great option, though, so good luck.

SpasticSpaz
#12 Posted : 4/26/2009 1:24:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't know the exact mechanism of action (Ochem Lab was many semesters ago), and it may not apply to tertiary amines like DMT. However, I'd use MgSO4 just to be on the safe side.

I do suspect amor_fati's caution is excessive. SWIM tells me he used FASA the last time he extracted DMT and got good results, so he's surprised to learn that it's still considered experimental.

memo
#13 Posted : 4/26/2009 1:28:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

FASA isn't in the experimental stage. Combining the washing and the converting into one operation is.

Ambient
#14 Posted : 4/26/2009 1:28:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Well... I'm just gonna give it a go and see how it works. I've got plenty of mimosa left so if it doesn't work, no big deal. I'll be the first I guess. I'll post back with results.

geeg30
#15 Posted : 4/26/2009 3:00:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

memo wrote:
You can take Epsom salts and bake them @ 400 deg. F for an hour to convert it into anhydrous magnesium sulfate which is optimum for drying acetone.
What is it with people and baking epsom salts and sodium bicarbonate for an hour or so?

Stick it in a pot and put it on your stove top/ cooker ring on a high heat. Sodium bicarbonate takes about 5 - 10 mins to convert to carbonate while epsom salts takes a wee bit longer to make anhydrous. The only thing with the epsom is that it first hardens up and sticks to the pot but when it completely drys out it unsticks (just keep stirring).

Then again I suppose you can just toss it it the oven and forgot about it, come back in an hour or so and its ready. Swim must be impatient or hates wasting electricity.
Here you!!! Gonnaenodaethat

"Iceberg???? - What Iceberg????"

deedle-doo
#16 Posted : 4/26/2009 3:54:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I heard about a guy. He played with a similar approach and it failed. You might not have pulled anything with you citric acid/acetone solution. In this case, your bark is de-fatted now, so it's all good either way Smile

Ambient
#17 Posted : 4/26/2009 4:26:27 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Uh that sucks. Just a waste of time. I'd like to hear from Infundibulum

amor_fati
#18 Posted : 4/26/2009 8:45:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SpasticSpaz wrote:
I do suspect amor_fati's caution is excessive. SWIM tells me he used FASA the last time he extracted DMT and got good results, so he's surprised to learn that it's still considered experimental.

I didn't mean that FASA is an experimental technique, not at all. That's all SWIM uses anymore. I can't seem to find the thread on the nexus, but this is the experimental technique that the OP is using, and SWIM would recommend against it for most unless they follow the tek perfectly and use extreme caution regarding the dryness of their acetone. There's no easy way to get the salts out of a large amount of wet acetone, unless SWIY dries the acetone after extraction which may or may not work well.

Ambient
#19 Posted : 4/26/2009 10:25:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Maybe I'll just ask my chemistry professor if DMT Cirtate and Calcium Chloride will react... That could lead him to be suspicious though lol.

StarDust
#20 Posted : 4/27/2009 1:28:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

^not suspicious, obvious...but if the prof seems cool i would ask. be sure to pose it as a hypothetical. the profs that i have had dont mind when i base my work on substances and tell them so. obtaining or creating though is a different story.
all of StarDust's posts are fictional

12NEXT