We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
salvia cuttings help Options

pinche
#1 Posted : 4/24/2009 10:27:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just got my first salvia cutting today and it looks like someone beat the hell out of it before they sent it to me.It is broken in half in two places.Ive planted all three sections in soil and put plastic bags over them to raise the humidity.Maybe i can salvage them.

Any suggestions on what I could do to save these girls?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

geeg30
#2 Posted : 4/25/2009 12:01:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Was it a rooted cutting? How big are your 3 sections? Do each section have a growing tip? Did you water the cuttings?

Be very careful when using humidity tents due to mould - give them a few minutes to 'breathe' each day.

You might be lucky as sometimes it can be a bit of hit and miss.
Here you!!! Gonnaenodaethat

"Iceberg???? - What Iceberg????"

'Coatl
#3 Posted : 4/25/2009 12:01:50 AM

Teotzlcoatl

If they are broken they may not make it.

What you did sounds good.

The other option would be to place the cuttings in water until they grow new roots (this may work better).
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

pinche
#4 Posted : 4/25/2009 12:41:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes it was a rooted cutting.I planted the root ball in potting soil and watered.There is only a 4-5 inch section remaining on the root ball,it has two stems and one leaf.I am misting it regularly and giving it flouresent light,not too close though.
The two broken sections are only about 2 or 3 inches tall but have a set or two of leaves. They both have pinched off leaves and this is the end I stuck into soil.I am watering and misting them as well.If they dont make it no big loss.I just really want the main plant with the roots to survive.So far so good.
Is the light o.k.? Less,more? What temp should I aim for? Do I need to worry about too much watering?

geeg30
#5 Posted : 4/25/2009 1:14:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Too much water man, far too much. You should just mist lightly once a day until they get established then you can feed and water. Watch out for the stems going black/brown - if so then remove the plant as it has virtually no chance plus it can infect the others.

Light should be ok although not to close, temp around 22-25C although not a necessity its more the humidity they like.

I dont like your chances with the main stem with only one leaf but as long as the leaf stays greenish and doesn't fall off you could be all right. As for the other two just keep and eye out for moulds and stem rot. Although I am with Coatl you would have been better rooting them in water but they should root just as good in soil.

Salvia can be a resilient bugger as long as you treat her gently. Any pics?

Good Luck

Infinite I
#6 Posted : 4/25/2009 9:43:48 AM

JC

'Coatl wrote:

The other option would be to place the cuttings in water until they grow new roots (this may work better).

This is what Ive been doing with my salvia cuttings, and its worked, im terrible at taking cuttings usually, never seems to work, but Im well happy that my salvia took quite well when just putting it in water. I took four off my big one the other day as I didnt prune it properly at the beggining and it keeps growing really big, some stems have snapped off, so Im just starting to cut them when they get like that and trying to grow roots, just in water. Two of the cuttings I took the other day just seemed to wilt straight away, wheras another two seemed to be ok. If you take cuttings im sure minimum size is 12cm.

I dont feed mines that much, but a little bit of nutrients can make salvia grow like mad, I accidently gave it something called formulex and it grew really big, then in turn stems started snapping off etc. My friend told me when repotting saliva to put it close to the bottom of the pot, because salivia naturally grows then dies due to the weight of its stems and leaves, it just keels over and snaps, if you prune it properly though its meant to be ok, which im going to try do with my other cuttings I have.

pinche
#7 Posted : 4/25/2009 9:33:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The plants have started to sag and wilt so I put the two severed pieces in glasses of water.Is there anything special to do with this technique or is it that simple?They still have bags over them for humidity.Thanks for the advice I think having the stems in water will help alot.

69ron
#8 Posted : 4/25/2009 9:37:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Humidity is very important for Salvia. I once had the same plant for many years. It was doing great. Then I moved to a drier area. One summer on an extra hot day I came home to find the plant died from too much dry air. The very day before it was doing great. It had plenty of water, I had misted it before going to work, but the dry air was too much for it to handle. It could not be recovered.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

geeg30
#9 Posted : 4/26/2009 3:12:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

pinche wrote:
The plants have started to sag and wilt so I put the two severed pieces in glasses of water.Is there anything special to do with this technique or is it that simple?They still have bags over them for humidity.Thanks for the advice I think having the stems in water will help alot.
The plants will sag and wilt in the beginning however never mind the humidity bags when rooting although don't put both in the same glass(incase of rot). Once you have roots and potted then humidity bags are useful. I find also that a small amount of rooting compound works well or willow water (willow leaves and stems soaked in water for a day or two then decant the material - willow contains rooting hormones).

'Coatl
#10 Posted : 4/26/2009 3:16:10 AM

Teotzlcoatl

I don't think all this humidity is needed if it's acclimated.

Mine do fine in my house (with my cacti!!!) at 30% humidity!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

pinche
#11 Posted : 4/26/2009 1:38:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the help everyone.Everything is still alive and the section of the plant that was the top looks really good.This is what I love abouut the Nexus, you can actually get intelligent responses.

'Coatl
#12 Posted : 4/26/2009 5:52:44 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Awesome dude! Good luck! Once you have 2-3 strong plants you can start making clones and create a freaking Salvia forest!!!

Infinite I
#13 Posted : 4/26/2009 6:22:43 PM

JC

'Coatl wrote:
Awesome dude! Good luck! Once you have 2-3 strong plants you can start making clones and create a freaking Salvia forest!!!

LOL This is what i want to do and let everyone I know have some, Im saving the larger leaves in a freezer so I can maybe get oral salvia to work as Ive not had any success so far.

'Coatl
#14 Posted : 4/26/2009 7:18:12 PM

Teotzlcoatl

You need about 25 fresh leafs for a really amazing oral Salvia experience (SOOOO much BETTER than smoking Salvia, it's psilocybin-like almost).

Work on propagating cuttings and then when you have yourself a Sally forest, harvest 20-40 or so leafs one day.

69ron
#15 Posted : 4/26/2009 7:36:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM's plant which died from dry air exposure was the so called palatable clone. It was SUPER POTENT. Just 1 fresh leaf chewed as a quip produced a mild mushroom-like trip.

Smoking salvia is an almost completely different experience than taking the fresh leaves as a quid. While smoking it is interesting and potent, it’s not nearly as pleasant or insightful as taking it as a quid. That’s the way the shamans use it. They use them fresh. It’s a fantastic experience that way. Once dried, it’s not the same. Something is lost when you dry it. Also, just 1 day after picking the leaves, they are noticeably different in effects. The best effect is had when they are used freshly picked as a quid. It’s extremely pleasant and mushroom like that way. I am absolutely sure there is something other than Salvinorin A that is producing the beautiful experience from the fresh leaves. I think all attempts at extracting it decompose it and that’s why Salvinorin A is considered the main active compound. Salvinorin A is fairly stable, but the other active compound responsible for the effects had from only fresh leaves, is apparently extremely unstable and cannot even be refrigerated for more than a few hours without losing potency.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Infinite I
#16 Posted : 4/26/2009 7:38:46 PM

JC

Sounds great, Ive had 16 before but nothing really happened, and they were all quite large, though not all of them. Hopefully my cuttings take as Ive got two that are doing well and my existing large one, really want to try it, well really want it to work. 20-40 leaves a day sounds amazing! Smile

pinche
#17 Posted : 4/26/2009 10:41:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, this is exactly why I want to grow my own.Using the fresh leaf is supposed to be a much different experience.I never liked the effects from smoking.Its not that its bad but its not good either.I like the quid method much better but it seems to take a lot to get good effects.I have heard that quiding up to 20 fresh leaves can completly submerse you in salvia space like smoking but slowed down and easier to work with.Thats how the Mazatecs did it Im sure they knew what they where doing.Chew on 'em and let the juice sit in the back of your mouth for awhile.Didnt Maria Sabina say that salvia took her to the same place as mushrooms did?

'Coatl
#18 Posted : 4/28/2009 1:21:54 AM

Teotzlcoatl

It's amazing to me how few people have tried sublingual Salvia.

69ron
#19 Posted : 4/28/2009 1:35:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The difference between a quid of fresh leaves and smoking dried plant material is HUGE. SWIM doesn't care for the dried stuff at all. The fresh leaves as a quid are a beautiful experience.

Kannamate
#20 Posted : 4/29/2009 12:32:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=69ron]SWIM's plant which died from dry air exposure was the so called palatable clone. It was SUPER POTENT. Just 1 fresh leaf chewed as a quip produced a mild mushroom-like trip.

1 leaf are you extra sensitive to salvia,or did it gain potency as it got older, what strain was it?

12NEXT