We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Help identifying cacti Options

tolu
#1 Posted : 4/24/2009 1:48:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I was hoping someone could help me identify a couple of cactus plants.

Plant 1: 1st and 2nd image. Not sure how old the cactus was when it was given to me. Owned it for a couple of years now.
A pup?-appeared on it near the end of last year (I think).
2nd image shows discolored patches, as if it's been sliced in certain areas and now dried/hardened, is that likely to be from spilling cleaning chemicals over it?
Is this cactus likely to grow any bigger?
I've barely payed any attention to it since I've had it, and I've not noticed any significant growth.

Plant 2&3: 4th, 5th and 6th image.
The second cactus started as just the center, which has now become top heavy and thin/weak in the middle.
Any recommendations for encouraging more growth in this? - or any tips in general on how to handle it? (Edit: went ahead and added a support to it).
Two pups showed up last week and seem to be growing fast.
Third plant doesn't look like the typical cactus, still not sure what it is.

Should they have been replanted by now?

Thanks for any help.
tolu attached the following image(s):
CIMG0232.JPG (264kb) downloaded 117 time(s).
CIMG0235.JPG (209kb) downloaded 117 time(s).
CIMG0246.JPG (210kb) downloaded 85 time(s).
CIMG0243-resize.JPG (182kb) downloaded 80 time(s).
CIMG0244.JPG (83kb) downloaded 81 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

'Coatl
#2 Posted : 4/24/2009 1:56:14 AM

Teotzlcoatl

The ones in the first two pictures look like a species of Gymnocalycium.

The 2nd one is going to be really hard to tell without a flower or some more growth.
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

bufoman
#3 Posted : 4/24/2009 2:28:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

'Coatl wrote:
The ones in the first two pictures look like a species of Gymnocalycium.

The 2nd one is going to be really hard to tell without a flower or some more growth.

All those pictures are of the same cactus.
But it does seem that you got the ID correct.
It is so frustrating that many places that sell cacti do not properly label them. I know that most people do not care but for those of us who do it is quite frustrating.

bufoman
#4 Posted : 4/24/2009 2:40:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Has this specimen flowered yet?

tolu
#5 Posted : 4/24/2009 2:50:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

bufoman wrote:

I'll upload the rest shortly. I don't like the fact you have to post a thread before you can attach images. Mad

bufoman wrote:
Has this specimen flowered yet?

Not yet, those photos were just taken.

Now I know the species I'll start looking into the specifics, thanks 'Coatl and bufoman. Still a couple more to come.

tolu
#6 Posted : 4/24/2009 2:58:51 AM
DMT-Nexus member

'Coatl
#7 Posted : 4/24/2009 7:47:43 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Quote:

I meant the cactus in the first two pictures.

(*Edit*- some pics were removed from when I originally posted)

Quote:
But it does seem that you got the ID correct.

Thanks, I believe it is correct. Please take a picture when it flowers and perhaps we can figure out what species it is!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

tolu
#8 Posted : 4/27/2009 2:45:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Other photos added.

With regard to the first cactus, is it likely to grow any bigger?
He's barely paid any attention to it since he's had it, and he hasn't noticed any growth.

Second cactus started as just the center, which has now become top heavy and become thin/weak in the middle.
Any recommendations for encouraging more growth in this? - or any tips in general on how to handle it?
Two pups showed up last week and seem to be growing fast.
Third cactus doesn't look like the typical cactus, still not sure what it is.

Should have they been replanted by now?

Thanks

'Coatl
#9 Posted : 4/27/2009 6:41:32 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Quote:
With regard to the first cactus, is it likely to grow any bigger?

Probably not too much bigger, but it will have lots of pretty flowers.
Quote:

Should have they been replanted by now?

I think you should replant them if you have had them awhile and they are in the same pots from when you got them.

Quote:
Third cactus doesn't look like the typical cactus, still not sure what it is.

Ya there is Def. two succulents in the 2nd picture, in the same pot (it appears one is a cactus, the spiny one, and the other is a succulent, not a true cactus).

Phlux-
#10 Posted : 4/28/2009 9:14:25 AM

The Root

with the skinny ones - the one looks like it could be a t.hausha - etiolated a bit maybe and the other one - swim is 99% sure is not a cactus - more along something of the lines of a wax wick plant - no idea on name.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

'Coatl
#11 Posted : 4/30/2009 12:57:49 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Quote:
with the skinny ones - the one looks like it could be a t.hausha - etiolated a bit maybe and the other one - SWIM is 99% sure is not a cactus - more along something of the lines of a wax wick plant - no idea on name.

I don't think it is Trichocereus at all... way too thin and the habit is wrong. Trichocereus normally don't trail like that...

Ya the other one in the same pot is def. not a cactus, it's a succulent!

Phlux-
#12 Posted : 4/30/2009 8:40:16 AM

The Root

check up coatl perhaps peanut cactus - Echinopsis chamaecereus

i know its not what most trichies look like and i dont think its active - it stays small.
damnit damnit why cant i remember that other ones name - gggrrrr something quadrangularis or something - i will remember Smile
antrocles wrote:

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:

Quote:

Phlux-
#13 Posted : 4/30/2009 8:41:32 AM

The Root

for a trailing trich check out the trichocereus thelegonus

antrocles wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

'Coatl
#14 Posted : 4/30/2009 3:50:46 PM

Teotzlcoatl

You wouldn't consider those to be Echinopsis instead of Trichocereus?

What color are the flowers of the above cactus?

tolu
#15 Posted : 4/30/2009 8:52:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you all very much for your replies.
Gymnocalycium and Echinopsis chamaecereus definitely seem like the most likely to be out of all I've looked through, thanks again for that.

First thing I'll do is purchase some perlite, cactus soil, coarse sand and organic cactus fertilizer and replant asap. I'm surprised these haven't died yet with the lack of care I've shown them.

I'm curious, what would the effect be of removing the dormant no-watering period (winter) and immersing it in artificial light, heat and continued watering? Good or bad?

'Coatl
#16 Posted : 5/1/2009 6:30:18 PM

Teotzlcoatl

If you use strong enough lights it will be ok but if they are weak the cause will elongate and/or turn white and look all weird and ugly. It's best to put them in dormancy for the winter.

However... with REALLY strong lights there is no reason why you couldn't do this.