We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A Glowing Plant as a Sustainable Light Source Options

Aegle
#1 Posted : 5/21/2013 12:50:12 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

A Glowing Plant as a Sustainable Light Source

Much Peace and Compassion
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Mustelid
#2 Posted : 5/21/2013 1:23:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There are bio-luminescent mushroom kits you can buy, to grow your own glowing plants now. Sounds like a neat night-lite with no electricity. I posted a link to a place, but I took it down because they also sell live frogs and even birds, I think mail order, and I don't support that practice.

Search around a bit for a more ethical place to buy the glowing mushroom spores. I think some of us have had experience growing mushrooms.

SKA
#3 Posted : 5/29/2013 11:58:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

That is marvelous. I dislike genetic modification to make fruits & vegetables sweeter, bigger & more commercially attractive, but Geneticly modifying plants to this end is defenitely worthwhile.

I have thought about low energy, cold light sources before and thought of various systems:
Growing bioluminescent mushrooms in terraria and using them as lights in your house.
All the would require would be some liquid nutrients to be flooded into the substrate
& the air in the terraria to be refreshed every now and then & that can be done with a
low-power automated system. Light would be weak, but strong enough to illuminate a hallway
or small room enough to be able to see on a pitchblack night. And off course how magical
would such a lightsource be? Smile

I've also thought of a system that uses certain Bioluminescent species of Dinoflagellates, a type of sea-Algae, that glow brightly whenever the water in which they float gets agitated by waves or fish.
Lingulodinium Polyedrum:

Noctiluca Scintillans:

If you were to use a piece of circulair glass tubing filled with these algae and salt-water, with a low-power, low-speed waterpump that
pumps the water & the algae around the circulair tube, you would also have a low-power lightsource based on Bioluminescense.

But these plants are just perfect. No electricity required whatsoever & gives off plenty of light, without heat. Are they commercially available to the public? Would they be pricey?

spinCycle
#4 Posted : 5/29/2013 2:31:49 PM

Life is Art is Life

Open Source DNA...

Shocked

Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

Aegle
#5 Posted : 5/30/2013 12:25:42 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Glowing Plants Project

Much Peace and Compassion
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

Luuk
#6 Posted : 6/10/2013 3:07:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Wow this is so cool. How will this have evolved in a few decades? I can't wait to see!

Nathanial.Dread
#7 Posted : 6/10/2013 6:35:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mustelid wrote:
There are bio-luminescent mushroom kits you can buy, to grow your own glowing plants now. Sounds like a neat night-lite with no electricity. I posted a link to a place, but I took it down because they also sell live frogs and even birds, I think mail order, and I don't support that practice.

Search around a bit for a more ethical place to buy the glowing mushroom spores. I think some of us have had experience growing mushrooms.

Glow in the dark birds? I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything as advanced as genetically engineered night-light birds.

Do such things exist? I'm not looking to buy one or anything, but if they do exist, my understanding of genetic engineering is fairly out-of-date.

Frogs, I believe.
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

proto-pax
#8 Posted : 6/11/2013 1:04:18 AM

bird-brain

ithinkk he meant they just sell animals. of the non modified kind
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

Mustelid
#9 Posted : 6/11/2013 5:05:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, mail order animals. Sounds cruel to me.