We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Best grow lights on the market imo... Options

floatei
#1 Posted : 5/11/2013 9:03:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://ledgrow.eu/

I have been following this fella for a few years now and he has designed an incredibly efficient LED grow light. These could be powered by Solar, wind, water ect ect. Check his site out and see the work he has put in to create these beauties and you will start to see its well worth the money. He has increased the amount of yield per plant by using the correct wavelength of light. Pretty amazing stuff.

The Leds can be purchased for 5-10 a piece so you can replace them over time if they ever blow out.

Just trying to spread the word because I know we are all looking for an efficient way to grow indoors in case of the grid going down or just a sick source of light.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 5/12/2013 1:20:42 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Check out:

http://www.hydrogrowled.com/

These folks are quite established over at IC Mag Wink
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

The Day Tripper
#3 Posted : 5/12/2013 4:25:51 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Interesting, i always used to dismiss leds as feasable grow lights due to costs, and not providing the full specrtal needs of the plant in terms of light due to them only using a few wavelengths.

It seems that that is no longer an issue with quality led grow lights, and the price is alot less than it was the last i looked (few years back).

Might be interesting to see how they work in tandem with another small hid ceramic metal halide to give the plants a good spread of different wavelengths of light, the cmh really excells in that dept. Perhaps like a 35w cmh light for every 100w of led power...

Me thinks that would work mighty fine indeed.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

floatei
#4 Posted : 5/13/2013 12:41:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Day Tripper wrote:
Might be interesting to see how they work in tandem with another small hid ceramic metal halide to give the plants a good spread of different wavelengths of light

In the setup he has white leds to finish off the spectrum. Ive learned alot about Leds and growing and found a lot of studies about what type and color to use and found plants ONLY need 2 colors red and blue. There is even a FAR red led which is the best on the market for that nm of light. The light that it gives off is kinda like a kick for the plants and really gets the growing.

Sorry if I seem like a spokesperson lol but I really give this guy respect because he put alot alot alot of work into carefully designing these and I love people who tinker and help the world!

SnozzleBerry
#5 Posted : 5/13/2013 1:12:10 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

I haven't seen any side-by-side grow of any LED system that can outcompete the hydrogrow products. There are a number of reliable growers at IC Mag who have run side-by-sides with those LEDs. Have any of this guy's lights been documented by third party growers?
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

floatei
#6 Posted : 5/14/2013 9:49:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good question. I have not seen any but I'll keep my eye out.

DMTripper
#7 Posted : 5/15/2013 2:27:06 AM

John Murdoch IV

I've never seen LED come out good in comparison with HPS. I once had 2 90W LED that was ok for veg but could never make proper nugs.
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

Journeymann
#8 Posted : 5/15/2013 10:20:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Stop

I thought this was a factual / scientific website...

To make claims such as these is just a claim and just looks like a shameless plug for a cheap led set up to be honest.

I have used Kessil H350 and BlackStar240 with awesome success in a DWC system.

LEDs DO produce useable nuggets because I have proved it over and over with 3 years of growing with them, exclusivly.

Ya'll better check yer'selves by making claims like that around here.

Just saying...

ZenSpice
#9 Posted : 5/15/2013 11:12:17 AM

Mostly Ignored

From my own experience and research, for personal grow rooms (non commercial) the most all round efficient lighting method is a 600w digital ballast with Metal Halide for vegging and High Pressure Sodium for flowering.

Not breaking news to many I am sure but I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

By all round I mean it is most cost efficient when combined with yield, penetration of upper canopy (to reach lower areas) along with ability to maintain regular temps. Doesn't cost a whole lot more (juice wise) than a 400w and a LOT less then a 1000w (while making temp regulation fairly hassle free).

This is my opinion on hobby room/personal grows only. NOT commercial Wink

P.S. IMHO if the grid went down I would be growing outdoors as I would imagine the establishment would be contending with too much to worry about people growing a bit of weed (pure speculation of course but it seems logical to me).

Journeymann
#10 Posted : 5/15/2013 11:56:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Journeymann wrote:
Stop

I thought this was a factual / scientific website...

To make claims such as these is just a claim and just looks like a shameless plug for a cheap led set up to be honest.

I have used Kessil H350 and BlackStar240 with awesome success in a DWC system.

LEDs DO produce useable nuggets because I have proved it over and over with 3 years of growing with them, exclusivly.

Ya'll better check yer'selves by making claims like that around here.

Just saying...

I would like to say kudos for anyone who is on the LED forefront as they are the future. So even though I don't think the lights on the original post are the best, they probably do work on a microgrow and I give them credit for that much.

LEDs produce perfect plant tissue from start to finish as opposed to the HIDs that can scorch the tissue very easily if one is not careful.

LEDs are much more forgiving and I would highly recommend them to any rookie grower if they have the funds.

BlackStar are much less expensive than HG.

@ZenSpice
I tend to like the modulated sources of light the LEDs offer in that you can hang them in any position around the plants. ie one over the top say 3 hanging vertically around the sides of the plant to illuminate the plant from 3 side also.

If one doesn't have the extra resources (money) than I would suggest what you have suggested as long as they can have a firm grasp on the heat problems that can arise. My basement is about 50-65 year round and I actually have a difficult time with LEDS in the winter months and have to add heaters in the room. Summer months are ok with a fan or two in there.

Peace

ZenSpice
#11 Posted : 5/15/2013 12:16:58 PM

Mostly Ignored

Journeymann wrote:
@ZenSpice
I tend to like the modulated sources of light the LEDs offer in that you can hang them in any position around the plants. ie one over the top say 3 hanging vertically around the sides of the plant to illuminate the plant from 3 side also.

If one doesn't have the extra resources (money) than I would suggest what you have suggested as long as they can have a firm grasp on the heat problems that can arise. My basement is about 50-65 year round and I actually have a difficult time with LEDS in the winter months and have to add heaters in the room. Summer months are ok with a fan or two in there.

Peace

I agree totally with what you say. My main contention is that, at this time, to get a decent LED set up is VERY expensive (comparatively) and during the colder months the money spent on increasing the heat in a grow room can all but negate the overall difference in running costs of the entire set up (excess heating is not an issue in a SJ-DR120 tent with one outflow while ensuring slight negative pressure).

Not only that but in winter I can let my external airflow come out of the grow room and into the house (instead of venting straight outdoors) it actually helps heat my little house by a degree or two, thus saving on standard heating (albeit minimally but every little bit not totally wasted is good eh). Last few weeks of flowering and when the Carbon filter goes on this aspect is also negated somewhat also, unless one wants to skip the CF stink up their house with the one of the best aromas nature can offer lol (not the wisest move if one is in stealth mode from nosy neighbours etc).

Peace & respect due Thumbs up

p.s. I really do love how an LED set up with correct spectrum lighting and all round coverage looks though, nothing seems quite as "space age" in my opinion Big grin

SnozzleBerry
#12 Posted : 5/15/2013 2:07:04 PM

omnia sunt communia!

ZenSpice wrote:
From my own experience and research, for personal grow rooms (non commercial) the most all round efficient lighting method is a 600w digital ballast with Metal Halide for vegging and High Pressure Sodium for flowering.

CMH are better...even though they're capped at 400watt. They run cooler, they're cheaper bulbs, they're full spectrum, they last longer...the list goes on and on.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

ZenSpice
#13 Posted : 5/15/2013 2:16:11 PM

Mostly Ignored

SnozzleBerry wrote:
CMH are better...even though they're capped at 400watt. They run cooler, they're cheaper bulbs, they're full spectrum, they last longer...the list goes on and on.

Are you talking about for veg only or the whole grow?

With a "400w cap" I wonder what the nodal spacing would be like in comparison to 600w MH + 600w HPS (as per plants cycle). I like good tight spacing on my plants to maximise potential for topping/fimming etc.

Your thoughts would be valued Smile

Journeymann
#14 Posted : 5/15/2013 2:59:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
ZenSpice wrote:

I hear that those 400watters are the bomb in those new OG Vertical air cooled hoods.

The Day Tripper
#15 Posted : 5/15/2013 3:25:43 PM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
This thread over at myco has some really good info on grow lights of all kinds, flouro, hids (MH, HPS, CMH), and LED's as well.

Recommend checking it out if your interested in finding the "best growlight".

Design Ideas
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

ZenSpice
#16 Posted : 5/15/2013 3:47:55 PM

Mostly Ignored

SnozzleBerry
#17 Posted : 5/15/2013 3:55:24 PM

omnia sunt communia!

ZenSpice wrote:
SnozzleBerry wrote:

Are you talking about for veg only or the whole grow?

With a "400w cap" I wonder what the nodal spacing would be like in comparison to 600w MH + 600w HPS (as per plants cycle). I like good tight spacing on my plants to maximise potential for topping/fimming etc.

I'm talking about the whole grow...start to finish.

The cooler bulbs mean you can place the light closer to the plants, so it's kind of a null-sum game when it comes to nodes. I SCROG'd all of my plants when I was growing and was quite happy with the results. So much so that I bought several HPS rigs solely for use with CMH bulbs. I would choose 800 watts of CMH over 600 of MH/HPS every time.

Journeymann wrote:
I hear that those 400watters are the bomb in those new OG Vertical air cooled hoods.

Oh man...I just looked at those and am totally drooling. They wouldn't work with the CMH bulbs I have at the moment (horizontals) but the vertical ones are available. I may have to look at new reflectors when I run through my current lighting stash. Thank you!
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

Journeymann
#18 Posted : 5/15/2013 4:10:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
ZenSpice wrote:
[quote=SnozzleBerry]
[quote=Journeymann]I hear that those 400watters are the bomb in those new OG Vertical air cooled hoods.

Oh man...I just looked at those and am totally drooling. They wouldn't work with the CMH bulbs I have at the moment (horizontals) but the vertical ones are available. I may have to look at new reflectors when I run through my current lighting stash. Thank you!

Glad to help you spend your hard earned money! LOL

Great tests on the OG can be found here.
http://growershouse.com/blog

Even the manufacturer claims better coverage with 3 x 400watters over a 4x8 foot print than 2x600 watters over the same 4x8 space.

Me thinks that my cactus seeds/plants are going to be reeeealy spoiled Smile