We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Does lye etch bomex? Options

VisualDistortion
#1 Posted : 4/18/2009 11:19:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM wants to know, cause if it doesn't then he can do a STB with DCM in his seperatory funnel.
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 4/19/2009 3:48:57 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

don't worry about it. swim has been doing it in his Labglass sep funnel for 5 years with no etching whatsoever. borosilicate glass is very resilient
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

VisualDistortion
#3 Posted : 4/19/2009 6:01:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks alot bro

VisualDistortion
#4 Posted : 4/19/2009 9:17:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know alot of people use DCM, so can any of our local chemist comment on this little ditty. Seems like it would be a problem.

Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis xxx (200Cool xxx–xxx
Short communication
N,N-Dimethyltryptamine and dichloromethane: Rearrangement of quaternary ammonium salt product during GC–EI and CI-MS–MS analysis
Simon D. Brandt a,∗, Cl´audia P.B. Martins b, Sally Freeman c, Nicola Dempster a,
Mark Wainwright a, Philip G. Riby a, John F. Alder b
a School of Pharmacy and Chemistry, Liverpool John Moores University, Byrom Street, Liverpool, L3 3AF, UK
b Centre for Instrumentation and Analytical Science, The University of Manchester, Sackville Street, P.O. Box 88, M60 1QD, UK
c School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PT, UK
Received 11 October 2007; received in revised form 30 November 2007; accepted 12 December 2007
Abstract

N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) 1 is a simple tryptamine derivative with powerful psychoactive properties. It is abundant in nature and easily accessible through a variety of synthetic routes. Most work-up procedures require the use of organic solvents and halogenated representatives are often employed. DMT was found to be reactive towards dichloromethane, either during work-up or long term storage therein, which led to the formation of the quaternary ammonium salt N-chloromethyl-DMT chloride 2. Analysis of this side-product by gas chromatography ion trap mass spectrometry (GC–MS), both in electron and chemical ionisation tandem MS modes, gave only degradation products. For example, 2 could not be detected but appeared to have rearranged to 3-(2-chloroethyl)indole 3 and 2-methyltetrahydro- -carboline 4, whereas HPLC analysis enabled the detection of 2. GC–MS is a standard tool for the fingerprinting of drug products. The identification of a particular synthetic route is based on the analysis of impurities, provided these side products can be established to be route-specific. The in situ detection of both 3 and 4 within a DMT sample may have led to erroneous conclusions with regards to the identification of the synthetic route.

69ron
#5 Posted : 4/19/2009 9:21:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The hundreds of other extractions done with DCM didn’t show that to be the case.

I believe it requires some special interaction they didn't disclose, otherwise everyone else would be getting those results and they aren’t.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

VisualDistortion
#6 Posted : 4/19/2009 9:24:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's what I figured. I know DCM works, but seeing this just kinda made me want to post up the question over here.

Xstacy
#7 Posted : 5/11/2009 11:21:14 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Whats DCM?
All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed - Doug Stanhope.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson

catfish
#8 Posted : 5/12/2009 2:42:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

DCM=DiChloroMethane, CH2Cl2, a chlorinated hydrocarbon solvent

lysergic
#9 Posted : 6/30/2009 5:50:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

VisualDistortion wrote:
SWIM wants to know, cause if it doesn't then he can do a STB with DCM in his seperatory funnel.

Isn't DCM heavier than water?
If you are doing an STB in a sep funnel with DCM,
wouldn't all of the bark in solution sink down into the DCM layer and clog the funnel?
Or would it stay suspended in the aqueous solution?