We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Effects of adding "too much" or "too little" Options

Zippy
#1 Posted : 4/15/2009 8:03:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Just curious, but I couldn't find the answers to these questions in any other posts.

What effect on the extraction would the following have?
1. Too much base
2. Too little base - (I know this may cause emulsions, what else?)
3. Too much naptha
4. Too little naptha
5. Too much water - (I've read that you can't have too much water, but I'm still unsure)
6. Too little water

I know there are certain ratios that produce maximum yields per pull, but what problems could arise from having any of the above?

Thanks,
Zip

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

acolon_5
#2 Posted : 4/15/2009 8:32:44 PM

The Great Namah

1. Too much base

Possibly destroy some spice (low yield), possible contamination of final product with lye

2. Too little base - (I know this may cause emulsions, what else?)

small yield, spice won't migrate to the solvent.

3. Too much naptha -

problems freeze precipitating, end up having to evaporate large amounts of naphtha (not good for the enviornment or your health, also can raise suspicion of a methamphetamine lab if you have nosy neighbors)

4. Too little naptha -

you won't get all the spice out of the basified water with 1 or 2 solvent pulls, not really a problem though, just keep cycling the solvent (seperate, stick in freezer, new naphtha in jug), You do get better freeze precipitations with small amounts of naphtha. I prefer less naphtha per pull 100mL each x4 or 5 times

5. Too much water - (I've read that you can't have too much water, but I'm still unsure) -

Can affect yield, solvent needs more time in contact with water to pull spice

6. Too little water -

water can become saturated before all the spice is cooked out of the bark...with STB you end up with sludge that traps the naphtha...low yields either way
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Zippy
#3 Posted : 4/15/2009 8:44:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you! Smile