We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Another Acacia ID Options

KustomKritter
#1 Posted : 5/1/2013 9:39:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Found this one in open bush/scrub in South East Queensland. I think again its Maidenii. I forgot to take a photo of the seed pod but it was very curly and the bark was grey with a few splits on the bigger trees.
Cheers
KustomKritter attached the following image(s):
Mainden Boonah.jpg (367kb) downloaded 166 time(s).
Maiden 2 boonah.jpg (465kb) downloaded 166 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

acacian
#2 Posted : 5/2/2013 4:34:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yep looks like Maidenii.. and looks very much like an active strain too, though I'm not 100% sure...the phyllodes could be a little broad. seeing as its in seeding would be a good opportunity to grab a few and try growing it. from what I have heard it is one of the cleaner trees to extract alkaloids from so I will be interested in hearing your results. also not sure if your familiar with harvesting methods but harvesting the bark can have devastating effects on the tree and is not neccesary anyways as the phyllodes should be perfectly good for what your looking for. fallen phyllodes should be perfectly active if you gather enough or you could try carefully pruning a few small branches..

good luck

KustomKritter
#3 Posted : 5/2/2013 5:35:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks acain, Im nearly 100% sure is a Maidenii. I have used a couple of keys and different references but I can never be certain . I lost heart after trying the lazymans extraction method I got from here on 250g of dried bark that I sourced from around the tree and shredded in a coffee grinder. All I was left with after extracting with Sodium Hydroxide and pulling it out with Xylene was some funny whitey green stuff that was hard to scrape up with blade from the bottom of my evap dish and some green oily goo. And had a very distinct smell.
As I am new to extracting and DMT im not sure if this was what I was looking for as I have done alot of reading and comparisons with my results to try and find what if anything did I have. As there are so many of these trees near my place I was going to try again with a different tree. And now I will also try with leaves.
Is there a better extraction tek to use on acacia's? I only did the the lazyman tek just to see if the tree were active before trying a proper a/b extraction.
Cheers again
K

acacian
#4 Posted : 5/2/2013 6:58:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

when extracting with acacia, i would recommend an acid/base extraction rather than an stb (straight to base) .. there seems to be a lot of negative results with stb and a general consensus that a/b is much more reliable. was the 250g bark from the tree above? and was it rotted or still fairly fresh? If the former, it would likely be devoid of alkaloids.. if you jump over to the thread "trying to improve acacia info" in the collaborative research section you'll find a lot of helpful information which will hopefully help determine which may be the species for you to consider working with - there is also a link in my signature (Acacia information)

i PM'd you my extraction technique.. i suggest you also read the nen method or vovins tek

EDIT ... there seems to be a pretty consistent trend of alkaloids either being lower in concentration or entirely absent during flowering.. as well as after rain. if you plan on sampling this tree then I reckon wait till its not flowering. gorgeous tree, by the way..

KustomKritter
#5 Posted : 5/2/2013 12:12:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Acacian,

Thats awesome mate thank you very much.
I will try an A/B extraction on leaves and bark separately. Luckily enough there quite a lot of these trees not far from me and some are flowering and some are not so I will be able to get to it almost straight away. I will keep you posted on how I go.
And thanks again for your help. I tried asking the question on another forum and got a bit of a rubishing so your help is really appreciated.
Cheers
K
P.S sorry I cant reply to PM's yet.. too new

KustomKritter
#6 Posted : 5/3/2013 10:53:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Acacian, I still cant send PM so I hope you get this. What type of acid do you recommend for lowering the pH? and by Lye do you mean Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda).
Thanks again

acacian
#7 Posted : 5/4/2013 5:13:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

just a dash of vinegar and yes sodium hydroxide

KustomKritter
#8 Posted : 5/4/2013 8:33:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow just vinegar?
Could I use citric acid? Or is vinegar the best for acacia?

acacian
#9 Posted : 5/4/2013 9:06:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah citric acid will be fine.. you dont need much really. just a small pinch or two..

KustomKritter
#10 Posted : 5/14/2013 4:20:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi acacian,
Im going to do an extraction tomorrow on some new material. In step one how much ethanol should i put in the acid wash?
Cheers

acacian
#11 Posted : 5/14/2013 6:02:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

.. it depends how much water your using. the more ethanol the better so long as its diluted by a generous portion of water. soaking overnight is also good if you would like to use a solution of ethanol with vinegar and water... then maybe do a couple standard acidic water boils to make sure you get everything out..before combining with the ethanol soak from the night before and reducing the liquid..

i have done ethanol shakes where I put the finely ground plant material in a glass bottle with a generous amount of ethanol and then alternated between shaking violently and allowing to stand.. repeating 3 times with fresh lots of ethanol.. i got good yields doing that

ethanol is not essential by the way but it helps

KustomKritter
#12 Posted : 5/14/2013 9:14:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok cool.
I put in about 100ml into a couple of litres of pH3 water let it sit for a couple of hours and am doing a cook now.
Im only going to do one boil and reducing the liquid down to about 400ml, as I dont know yet if there will be anything in the material and I dont want to spent hours again for nothing. Hope this works? But will follow your procedure after the acid boil.
I have used a combo of dried bark and leaf. Ill keep ya postedVery happy

acacian
#13 Posted : 5/14/2013 10:16:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

KustomKritter wrote:
Ok cool.
I put in about 100ml into a couple of litres of pH3 water let it sit for a couple of hours and am doing a cook now.
Im only going to do one boil and reducing the liquid down to about 400ml, as I dont know yet if there will be anything in the material and I dont want to spent hours again for nothing. Hope this works? But will follow your procedure after the acid boil.
I have used a combo of dried bark and leaf. Ill keep ya postedVery happy

cool look forward to hearing your results.. ph 3 may be a bit low some people have problems with acacia extracts having too much acid..but if theres anything in there you should still get most of it out

KustomKritter
#14 Posted : 5/14/2013 11:42:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok bit of a prelim result before the evap starts.
Left the lye sit over night, did the xylene mix this morning.
Messed one shake up and got a bad emulsion layer.
Second batch was better pulled the xylene off and already I can see salt/square crystal like grains at the bottom of my evap bowl.
Any thoughts?

KustomKritter
#15 Posted : 5/15/2013 12:18:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Though when I moved the bowl they turned into green oily lumps.
Though they did look like salt crystals inside
KustomKritter attached the following image(s):
IMG_2380.jpg (2,219kb) downloaded 57 time(s).

KustomKritter
#16 Posted : 5/15/2013 12:33:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yep now the salts have turned to browny green oily spot.
Put it into freezer to see if i could turn them back to salts?

acacian
#17 Posted : 5/15/2013 3:19:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

shouldn't need to.. if your using xylene you won't be precipiating via freezer but rather evapping.. precip is for naptha

KustomKritter
#18 Posted : 5/15/2013 4:00:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I did a bit of reading on some of your threads and u said that xylene made goo.
I didnt know that was going to happen, especially when I saw what looked like salt crystals once I pulled the xylene and put it in my evap bowl.
Its in the sun at the moment evaporating and has green brown spots all through it?
Is this what Im looking for?

acacian
#19 Posted : 5/15/2013 7:28:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i've gotten crystals from xylene once.. but its not a common occurence

KustomKritter
#20 Posted : 5/24/2013 11:42:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok, back to the drawing board.
After finally finishing the extraction I ended up with a reasonable amount of brownish goo. Which has a distinct smell, as I have no much experience with the goo Im not sure if it was what I was looking for.
I infused the goo into some peppermint leaf and light away... with very little success. I had a very heavily sedated feeling and managed to finish off the whole of leaf only adding to a heavier sedated feeling.

I have since been back into the bush and have a funny feeling that I may have been running the very fine line between Maidenii and Concurrens with my identification, coupled with the fact 90% of all the trees in this grove have just finished flowering, which i guess could be adding to the situation.

Though after the excursion into the bush, with a friend with an infinite amount of knowledge compared to mine on acacias has helped my positively identify the difference between the Maidenii and Concurrens.
So stay posted.