We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Kash's A/B Mescaline Extraction Options

Kash
#1 Posted : 4/30/2013 3:31:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

Posted in the WIKI: https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m...A/B_Mescaline_Extraction

Hey all,

So I noticed that there isnt a thorough A/B tek written up for extracting mescaline here on the Nexus to my knowledge. Here is a solid A/B tek on cacti for any who are interested, as well as a good method to obtain snow white crystals every time. Although SWIM came up with this tek on his own, there were contributing influences by House's resin extraction, dg's titration, and various postings. I like this method alot becuase the reagents are cheap, it is relatively easy, and doesnt take too long. It is VERY easy with fresh diced cacti but also fine using cacti powder. Fresh cacti should be cubed and frozen solid at least once before cooked. That said, let us begin.

== Mescaline Extraction==

===Materials List===
*100g cacti powder or 1-2 12in cutting(s).
|
*1L Toluene or Xylene
*50ml MEK, anhydrous acetone, or ethyl acetate
*H2O
*40ml Methanol (Optional)
|
*30g Citric Acid or 200ml white vinegar (10ml glacial)
-->Citric Acid Appears More Likely To Cause Emulsions
*50g NaOH (Lye)
*Hcl (Muriatic Acid)
*0.5g Fumaric Acid (Optional)
|
*Pots
*Glassware
*1L glass pickle jar
*Evaporating dish/bowl
*Stir utensils
*Pipet/syringe/separatory funnel
*Coffee filters and funnel
*Cloth filters (shirt)
*Rubber gloves

=== Procedure Main: Mescaline HCl Extract ===

1) Begin by adding 100g cacti powder or diced 12in cacti cutting(s) to a pot. Add 30g citric acid or 200ml vinegar or 10ml glacial. If using cacti powder, add enough water to make it wet but not watery.

2) To this add 2L H2O and simmer for 2hrs. Mix occasionally. Any cacti snot will boil off eventually and the tea should become nonviscous and watery.

3) Filter out liquid from plant matter with a cloth filter and funnel, and add the liquid to another pot. Reduce this to a low volume by boiling. Add plant material back to original pot, cover with 2L H2O, and simmer for 1hr. Mix occasionally.

4) Repeat step 3 atleast four to six times total until the liquid filtered out has very little color. Discard plant material after final time and reduce all the aqueous cacti extract to around 300 ml. This can be put in a glass pickle jar. Allow to sit overnight to precipitate unwanted fine particles, but this is optional.

5) Now it is time to basify. Mix 50g NaOH in 100ml H2O. It will get VERY hot, it is recommended to cool the mixing container while stirring with a cold water bath or under the faucet. Add the NaOH solution to the aqueous cacti extract.

6) Add 200ml toluene (or xylene) and mix for 10-15 minutes. Let the mixture settle and use a hot water bath to seperate the layers from the emulsion if necessary. Seperate the layers with a pipet, separatory funnel, or syringe. Save the toluene in another glass container and put basic aqueous cacti solution back in original container.

7) Repeat previous step atleast 4 times total. Discard basic aqueous layer after, saving the toluene extract which contains the alkaloids.

8.) To the toluene extract add 100ml H2O. Add 0.5ml concentrated HCl to this and mix well for 5 minutes. Check the pH. If it is still basic (pH 9+) then add incriments of 0.5ml HCl with mixing and checking pH until it tests acidic (below pH 7). Continue mixing for 10 minutes after. Only one acid salting pull is usually necessary, but more can be performed and may be necessary for larger scale extraction.

9) Seperate layers, hot water bath may be necessary to seperate emulsion quickly. Filter and save acidic H2O layer and discard/recycle toluene. Evaporate the aqueous layer on a dish with aid of a fan and/or hot water bath. Never use direct heat it will scorch your product. Scrape up the crystals.

10) Wash crystals with 50ml cold MEK (or anhydrous acetone/ethyl acetate). You will notice the solvent become discolored and the crystals become cleaner. Decant off the solvent carefully, leaving behind the cleaned crystals.

-You will usually be left with light tan Mescaline HCl if pachanoi was used. Yield will be largely dependent on how efficiently you performed the extraction, but most importantly the quality of cacti used in the beginning. 0.5-1.5% yield of dry starting weight is average, but can range anywhere from 0-3%. Enjoy!

==== Additional Notes ====
-Reducing the initial liquid: After each filtration the liquid is put into a pot, the "reducing pot". This can be boiled on high heat, just make sure it doesnt boil over. Once the liquid has boiled down to a low volume, stop reducing it when it becomes different in appearance and syrupy. Make sure not to reduce beyond this point and obviously dont boil it completely dry. Doing so will destroy alkaloids.

-Filtering plant material: This can be quite a frustrating step if working with cacti powder, though you get the hang of it over time. It is easiest to seperate out the liquid from cacti material by using cloth cut from a shirt and then pouring the sludge into a funnel through the cloth filter. Get a pair of rubber gloves and squeeze out the liquid from the filter. Dont squeeze too hard or cacti sludge will press through. Filtering is easiest to do while the liquid is hot and should be done atleast twice after each water boil. It also gets easier after each boil.

-Checking pH: The pH can be checked with pH paper by dipping it in the toluene/H2O solution while mixing. The paper must come in contact with the water layer as pH cannot be read from the nonpolar layer.

-Washing the crystals: It is important to wash your end crystals with a solvent like MEK or anhydrous acetone to remove impurities. The solvent dissolves resins and impurities, leaving behind cleaner non-sticky crystals.

=== Additional Purification Procedure: White Mescaline ===

Doesnt change effects much, but increases purity and looks awful pretty! Big grin This procedure can be used to obtain pure white mescaline, and solvent ratios must be followed exactly. Solvent ratio affects the rate crystals precipitate out and more importantly their size. If they are too small/precipitate too quickly, they will be too fine to filter or decant liquid from. More nonpolar-> decreases solubility, more methanol-> increases solubility.

1) To a glass container with 1g cleaned Mescaline Hcl add 50ml H2O + 1ml HCl. Mix well until crystals completely dissolve.

2) Add 50ml toluene.

3) Mix 10g NaOH with 50ml water and add this to the solution, turning it basic. Mix well for 10 minutes.

4) Seperate layers, saving toluene and discarding aqueous.

5) To another glass container pour 40ml methanol (HEET antifreeze remover) and add 0.5g fumaric acid. Mix well until fumaric acid dissolves.

6) Add the fumaric methanol to the toluene and mix it alittle. After a short time, the solution turns cloudy and crystals begin to form. Once crystals settle, mix it alittle more and pour into a dish.

7) Very carefully decant by pouring off liquid and leaving behind white crystals. With no remaining liquid on the plate, let crystals dry and scrape up, yielding pure white Mescaline Fumarate. Enjoy!

==== Additional Notes ====
-It is important to remove all the liquid to avoid fumaric acid contamination. Alternatively to decanting, you can filter if the crystals are big enough. This purification SWIM imagines could be used for larger amounts of mescaline keeping to the solvent ratios. It is also possible to use other solvent combinations and acids for precipitation, though this is left up to you. One could also get a pretty pure product if they simply did another hcl salting from the toluene instead of precipitation.

=== Dosage Information ===

The good thing about making a purified mescaline extract is that you can easily measure exactly how much you are consuming and the experience is more clear. Mescaline is a very "friendly" feeling substance that is probably the least edgy of the traditional psychedelics imho. The experience is usually associated with euphoria, brightened colors, increased sociability, altered thinking, and morphing rainbows/patterns/environment. While dosages vary for everyone, I believe this to be a fairly accurate scale of dosage for the extraction procedure:

* '''Threshold''' <100 mg
* '''Light''' 100 - 200 mg
* '''Common''' 200 - 400 mg
* '''Strong''' 400 - 600 mg
* '''Heavy''' >600 mg
Kash attached the following image(s):
m_hcl_1-temp.jpg (34kb) downloaded 3,530 time(s).
m_fumarate_2-temp.jpg (38kb) downloaded 3,508 time(s).
m_fumarate_4.jpg (303kb) downloaded 3,484 time(s).
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

mailorderdiety
#2 Posted : 4/30/2013 3:58:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gorgeous

Binary Drool
#3 Posted : 4/30/2013 3:59:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice Kash! Will have to try to get those pretty white crystals at some point.
We actually worship incomprehensibility as the highest form of explanation. ~TM

Kash
#4 Posted : 5/1/2013 4:13:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Binary Drool wrote:
Nice Kash! Will have to try to get those pretty white crystals at some point.

Thanks. You will get there, just follow this tek and it will not steer you wrong.. I am glad to help if needed. Mescaline for the masses!Thumbs up
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

cyantific
#5 Posted : 5/2/2013 6:32:16 AM

Journeyman

Thanks for sharing this Kash. A/B's are great because the process is so clean. You're extracting from a clear liquid instead of green sludge. Have you experimented with a PC to speed up cooking time?

Kash
#6 Posted : 5/2/2013 6:55:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

cyantific wrote:
Thanks for sharing this Kash. A/B's are great because the process is so clean. You're extracting from a clear liquid instead of green sludge. Have you experimented with a PC to speed up cooking time?

I have not, though based off many posts by other members a pressure cooker could surely be used. I may have to invest in one soon, as I understand it is supposed to cut cooking times in half and would make this tek incredibly quick.

ipumaestro
#7 Posted : 5/5/2013 10:10:44 PM

catdestined

have you tried using xylene instead of toulene for fasm precipitation?

i like that you made a recipe for salting and offered pictures of resulting fasm precipitation

have you tried using fasm straight from the nps used in the original extraction?
achuma puma

Kash
#8 Posted : 5/9/2013 1:09:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks ipuma. Havent tried xylene, though because of the similar molecular structure I imagine it would work just as well. Also havent tried this precipitation tek with the original nps, would likely result in impurities. One time SWIM hcl gased the original nps and it just made a lot of impure light green mesc powder that was unfilterable and smelled like metal. Confused ? lol

dg
#9 Posted : 5/9/2013 2:14:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

^ yes gassing or forcing precip from dirty np will make for dirty end product compared to crashing from clean solvents
even with a wash afterwards there are dirty inclusions in the crystals

ipumaestro
#10 Posted : 5/9/2013 8:45:48 PM

catdestined

excellent example kash, and kudos to dg for the explanation!

thanks for making this technology possible to many more current and future nexians.

haaaaail achuma
achuma puma

Mr.Peabody
#11 Posted : 5/10/2013 4:23:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Xylene works nicely in my experience. It does have a somewhat low saturation limit, so in my latest extraction I am on (I think) the 6th pull. I think there's more in there, too. It's been a good cactus!Drool

kash, how do you not have a brainy icon, yet? You've put out some good teks! Much gratitude to you!
Be an adult only when necessary.

Journeymann
#12 Posted : 5/10/2013 5:40:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cyantific wrote:

I am very grateful for this tek Kash, thanks for it.

I am going to try it with my filter on the fly Herbal Steamer to see what the results. I cant say enough about this simple setup. Thumbs up

Orion
#13 Posted : 5/12/2013 4:38:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Collapse my nebula! The cleaned product looks gorgeous Love
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Kash
#14 Posted : 5/14/2013 2:19:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mr.Peabody wrote:
kash, how do you not have a brainy icon, yet? You've put out some good teks! Much gratitude to you!
Lol that made me laugh. Im not sure, hopefully someday! Razz

Glad to help Journeymann, hope it goes well. Would be interesting to hear about the results of using a steamer.

Journeymann
#15 Posted : 5/17/2013 12:44:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Kash wrote:
Glad to help, hope it goes well. Would be interesting to hear about the results of using a steamer.

Here are some pictures of my first Mesc.HCI.xtals from this tek using The Herbal Steamer.

Oh wait.... my first xtals ever!!! Cool

I used 100g of San Pedro powder that was purchased from a famous auction website over 5 years ago.

I do have a question. The dish does smell strong. I pulled no lye but accidentally acidified down to 3.5 so is that HCI I smell or is that just normal for Mesc.HCI???

I don't want to consume it until I know whats what as this is my first successful salting/xtal work.

I have not tallied the total because I am still adoring the xtls on the dish Love

Thanks Kash, I was heading to the Toluene for Mesc. work and your tek gave me the courage.

Peace and enjoy the pix!
Journeymann attached the following image(s):
mes.hcl.xtals1.jpg (125kb) downloaded 3,198 time(s).
mes.hcl.xtals3.jpg (137kb) downloaded 3,192 time(s).
mes.hcl.xtals4.jpg (130kb) downloaded 3,192 time(s).
mes.hcl.xtals5.jpg (129kb) downloaded 3,183 time(s).

Kash
#16 Posted : 5/17/2013 6:30:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Grats, nice xtals formation it looks great. Smile Yes it is pretty normal for there to be a smell afterward. There can often be resins and unevaporated hcl that remains. Have you washed your crystals in MEK, Acetone, or ethyl acetate? That will clean out the impurities.

If you dont want to wash the crystals, you can scrape them up and let them dry for a few days to a week, and any excess hcl will evap off. HCl can get trapped under the crystals until they are scraped up.

Journeymann
#17 Posted : 5/17/2013 2:16:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Kash wrote:
Grats, nice xtals formation it looks great. Smile Yes it is pretty normal for there to be a smell afterward. There can often be resins and unevaporated hcl that remains. Have you washed your crystals in MEK, Acetone, or ethyl acetate? That will clean out the impurities.

If you dont want to wash the crystals, you can scrape them up and let them dry for a few days to a week, and any excess hcl will evap off. HCl can get trapped under the crystals until they are scraped up.

Thanks for the compliment. Learn, Share, Expand!

I have not washed the xtals yet with anything after 36hrs of xtal development. It was in the basement at 15C with a fan attending it so I brought it up stairs last night (warmer environ) and it did loose most of the smell until I started to lift them with a razor. I am going to wait until the smell is gone from the powered xtals then wash just for fun-zies. Big grin

I will say that without a wash and re-x these first xtals are almost pure white already like you said, just a wee bit of tan coloration. They are actually a bit whiter than the pict. shows.

I did use the Herbal Steamer and there was next to no snot (just a tiny bit) which was my fault for not simmering/reducing the juice longer and I popped a hole in the filter so a little bit of the finer sediment/powder washed into the otherwise flawless juice.

Here is another pict. for 100g dried powered san pedro that was 5 years old. I would like to say that this 100g was all the cactus and not just the skins so I am not too worried about yields on this.

I am going to recommend this tek to any rookie that comes in the door for its ease and effectiveness. Thumbs up

Prost!

mes.hcl.xtals6.jpg (54kb) downloaded 3,158 time(s).

Journeymann
#18 Posted : 5/19/2013 9:36:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Here is a confirmation photo to the fact that almost everything is pulled on the first pull.

I couldn't get all my first pull with a pipette. Maybe there was 3ml left on top and this is what I got when I added another 100ml of Toluene let it set for 24 hours in a warm spot, then added water and salted it.

What an effective tek!

I do have 2 ?s for you Kash when you get the time...

Can the Toluene pull be salted without the addition of water?

Like FAST (fumaric acid saturated toluene), HClST (HCl saturated toluene), or TAST (tartaric acid saturated toluene)?

I want to say yes because it would cut the tek down by 1 step but I don't know the solubility of these acids in toluene or how to find out from the information provided on the site.

Water takes so long to evap. and I don't have to worry about toluene vaps. in my carbon filtered evap. tent.

I would love to be FASTing and TASTing my toluene if possible! LOL Twisted Evil

mes.hcl.2nd.pull.conf.jpg (68kb) downloaded 3,130 time(s).

Kash
#19 Posted : 5/19/2013 10:38:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Journeymann wrote:

Like FAST (fumaric acid saturated toluene), HClST (HCl saturated toluene), or TAST (tartaric acid saturated toluene)?

Afraid not, doing so would precipitate alot of impurities that would end up being more work than just evaporating the aqueous salting. Ipuma basically already asked this near the start of this topic.Razz

Journeymann
#20 Posted : 5/20/2013 4:22:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Kash wrote:
wrote:

Afraid not, doing so would precipitate alot of impurities that would end up being more work than just evaporating the aqueous salting. Ipuma basically already asked this near the start of this topic.Razz

I missed that so I will scroll up and by the way... nice brainy icon! congrats Thumbs up

123NEXT»