We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Lid On or Not for Freeze Precipitation Options

DisEmboDied
#1 Posted : 4/22/2013 4:06:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The format of the Nexus has changed dramatically, so I am not sure if I am posting this new topic in the right spot, I apologize if not, but

I used to use empty candle jars with lids when freeze precipitating, but now I am using a round, glass pyrex pie baking plate. I have not been using a lid, or something to cover it. It has been doing well, but it seems like I got more yields in the past.

Whenever I check the plate the next morning after all night freeze precipitation, there is no heptane/solvent left at all, it all evaporated in the freezer air. I am also pulling all and not half of the solvent out of the jar out at once.

I am soon planning to start washing/re-crystalizing, and was wondering if it is better to have a lid on or not, or does it even matter that much. I could and will find out on my own, but was wondering if someone has had this same question and prior experience on this before.

Thanks!
Meditate before you venture, take it seriously, use it as medicinal—it is good psychotherapy if needed. Realize that you, the Earth, others, and the Universe are all one and the same process. Then take that knowledge back to become, as you already are, one with nature. Eternity in every moment. Divinity in every particle. All is one organism.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

wage.
#2 Posted : 4/22/2013 4:18:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You should definitely use a lid to stop solvent evaporating into your freezer.

Try out using Saran Wrap and a rubber band to hold it in place.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."

TOXSIN
#3 Posted : 4/22/2013 5:16:02 AM

Knowledge is power, at the price of losing the bliss of ignorance

Yeah I always used at least tin foil but once in a while I would find my food tasting or smelling like naphtha due to freeze precip. :\
Understand: Nature knows no EVIL, Nature knows no GOOD, people know these things, because we perceive these things, with the gift of senses given to us at birth. A good or bad experience is simply a bridge to a another existential time frame, so always live in the moment and make every one a positive moment!

Any and all posts or interactions are to be held as my fictional writings/short stories or dreams. I may even have some delirium setting in, I've never been tested for it. The only exception to this is the statement about nature above, I feel this is a fact!

DisEmboDied
#4 Posted : 4/22/2013 5:32:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Damn man, food tasting like naphtha!

I do not have to worry about that, as it is a "junk" freezer that has nothing in it, and I will never use for food. Just concerned about loss of product, or something messing up in the freeze precip process...something seems different about not having the lid on, not sure, maybe it is all in my head...
Meditate before you venture, take it seriously, use it as medicinal—it is good psychotherapy if needed. Realize that you, the Earth, others, and the Universe are all one and the same process. Then take that knowledge back to become, as you already are, one with nature. Eternity in every moment. Divinity in every particle. All is one organism.

Jorkest
#5 Posted : 4/22/2013 6:22:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

without a lid..when you take your container from the freezer...water will precipitate on the glass after you pour of the solvent..causing your dmt to get wet with water...which could make your crystals get all gooey...

but as long as you let it dry long enough it will be fine..just not as pretty

but use a lid..it helps
it's a sound

Metanoia
#6 Posted : 4/22/2013 8:38:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was also having trouble with those baking dishes when freeze precipitating. Saran wrap and elastic bands didn't quite cut it. I couldn't find a solution and just gave up and continued using my small mason jars.

Vitalstatistix
#7 Posted : 4/22/2013 8:44:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Outside of your food tasting of petroleum distillates, ice will form inside your vessel if it is not covered. plastic food wrap with a rubber band is the way to go.

I just use a nice drinking glass with wrap over the top secured with rubber band. works a treat.
"You don‘t have a soul. You ARE a soul. You have a body." —C.W. Lewis

cyb
#8 Posted : 4/22/2013 8:45:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

These are great (perfect solution)and can be found online or at home stores.
Wink

just search 'Pyrex Dish with Lid'
cyb attached the following image(s):
Nice-Versatile-and-Awesome-Pyrex-Rectangular-Storage-Dishes-Set-with-Blue-Lid.jpg (32kb) downloaded 362 time(s).
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

DMTripper
#9 Posted : 4/23/2013 12:41:44 AM

John Murdoch IV

Why in hell would you want to leave the lid off????
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

Al-Wasi
#10 Posted : 11/15/2018 10:47:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cyb wrote:

These are great (perfect solution)and can be found online or at home stores.
Wink

just search 'Pyrex Dish with Lid'

Hate to ressurect a old ass thread but I have these same dishes a few different sizes and o matter if I use Saran wrap then put the lid on then inside a freezer bag then inside another bag I always get frost on the dish and when it warms to room temp it causes a bunch of dmt to melt I generally use a fan to speed up evaporation.

I'm freeze precipitating in a brand new Pyrex dish placed in bags as mentioned and it is frosted over as well. I turned it upside down and am letting it cool in the fridge hoping all my crystals don't melt.

In the past I've actually had ice on the top of my crystals or lots of frost in spots inside the pan where's there's no dmt crystal. What can this possibly be from? Is there water in the non polar solvent or what I'm confused. I mean even if my freezer has tons of humidity etween the Saran wrap, freezer bag, lid, and another bag it shouldn't be able to make it inside the dish.

I mean frost on a cold dish is humidity in the freezer solidifying on the glass right?

I'm stumped and don't know how to prevent this. Can anyone help.
That moment when you wonder if this time you went too far....

Obviously everything discussed here is the fictional accounts of someone with an out there imagination. I mean really could any of these tales be real?

Lumina
#11 Posted : 11/18/2018 11:55:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Al-Wasi wrote:
What can this possibly be from?

Condensation. Sudden freezing temperature hitting a room temperature dish will always cause this. The solution to this is to gradually decrease temps and acclimatize everything before it goes into the freezing stage. The same should work for returning to room temp.

Northerner
#12 Posted : 11/19/2018 3:48:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Those lids warp and die Cyb. They are not very resistant to solvent fumes.

I just use cleverly folded foil these days.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

neb
#13 Posted : 11/20/2018 4:43:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lid for sure, prevent condensation, then once taken out of freezer, take lid off, decant naphtha/heptane, turn ish upside-down onto a surface, the excess naphtha/heptane will leak over the sides, until room temp, then evap the rest under a fan
wake 'n breakthrough bebiii

blue.magic
#14 Posted : 11/22/2018 2:32:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Definitely use a lid.

I use a glass dish from IKEA for three years without any signs of seal deteriation:

Note that liquids evaporate at every temperature as this is a stochistical process. Even at deep freezing temperatures, solvent will slowly escape, at least making your food items smelly.

Also imagine a scenario when power goes off and the freezer won't work, which will cause the flammable solvent to fully evaporate and concentrate in a small airtight area - this posses a fire hazard too.

As other noted, vater vapour will get into the dish as well.

Although usable, I won't use aluminimum foil for the above reasons. Saran wrap might be attacked by a solvent (not sure about that), so a solid lid with a seal is your best bet.

Al-Wasi
#15 Posted : 11/23/2018 3:56:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Pyrex lids definitely do deform after a few uses and wwont fit properly anymore. It's happened to me on all three I've owned. There's a new Pyrex dish however I just saw at Kroger it has snaptight technogy or something like that. It's basically a lid with a rubber gasket on it to create a perfect seal which is then latched down on all four sides of the dish.

Going to be buying one soon and trying it out. Hoping the seal doesn't get messed up after being froze a few times.

But just finished a extraction and followed the decant, replace upside down in freezer, followed by in fridge for a while before taking it out to room temperature. And while I still got slight condensation it was no where near as much and I didn't lose any product to water melting my crystal

https://www.pyrexware.co...e-10-pc-set/1109331.html
That moment when you wonder if this time you went too far....

Obviously everything discussed here is the fictional accounts of someone with an out there imagination. I mean really could any of these tales be real?

MachienDome
#16 Posted : 1/4/2019 1:20:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DMTripper wrote:
Why in hell would you want to leave the lid off????

OMG thank you. I cant believe it took that much scrolling to get to this comment.

Stop Use a lid.
"In this secret room, from the past, I seek the future..."

MachienDome
#17 Posted : 1/4/2019 1:23:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Al-Wasi wrote:

The Pyrex lids definitely do deform after a few uses and wwont fit properly anymore. It's happened to me on all three I've owned. There's a new Pyrex dish however I just saw at Kroger it has snaptight technogy or something like that. It's basically a lid with a rubber gasket on it to create a perfect seal which is then latched down on all four sides of the dish.

Going to be buying one soon and trying it out. Hoping the seal doesn't get messed up after being froze a few times.

But just finished a extraction and followed the decant, replace upside down in freezer, followed by in fridge for a while before taking it out to room temperature. And while I still got slight condensation it was no where near as much and I didn't lose any product to water melting my crystal

https://www.pyrexware.co...e-10-pc-set/1109331.html

Good point, but they can be warped back into shape, right? Apply some heat and use pressure to get it in the right shape again (adding weight on it in the right places) or throwing it in the dishwasher? I can't believe it warps after a few freezes, it literally says it can be used to freeze.

I will have to be on the lookout for the clamp pyrex dish, that sounds useful.
"In this secret room, from the past, I seek the future..."