We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Sensory Deprivation Hammock? Options

Psychelectric
#1 Posted : 3/19/2013 4:02:29 PM

Curiouser and curiouser

(I know this is somewhat similar to the float tank post, however I think it might be different enough to warrant its own thread. If mods feel otherwise, by all means move it. Either way.)

As a cheaper (much cheaper) alternative to a float tank I have heard of people using a hammock that can be closed, in conjunction with ear plugs and a blindfold for sensory deprivation purposes.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. It sounds like a worthwhile idea to me.
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather."

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

embracethevoid
#2 Posted : 3/19/2013 4:24:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's one to keep in the books, will be sure to set one up some time hopefully.

Wat about an FIR sensory deprivation tank Very happy Detox and explore at the same time!

SpartanII
#3 Posted : 3/20/2013 1:05:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Psychelectric wrote:
(I know this is somewhat similar to the float tank post, however I think it might be different enough to warrant its own thread. If mods feel otherwise, by all means move it. Either way.)

As a cheaper (much cheaper) alternative to a float tank I have heard of people using a hammock that can be closed, in conjunction with ear plugs and a blindfold for sensory deprivation purposes.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. It sounds like a worthwhile idea to me.

Haven't tried it, but it sounds like a great idea. I love hammocks!

The only downside is that you would still be getting sensory stimulation from the pressure of the earplugs, hammock, and blindfold. Doesn't seem like a lot, but when sensory input is reduced and your in a meditative state, it can be quite noticeable. That's why the float tank water is heated to skin temperature.

Psychelectric
#4 Posted : 3/20/2013 3:11:15 AM

Curiouser and curiouser

SpartanII wrote:

The only downside is that you would still be getting sensory stimulation from the pressure of the earplugs, hammock, and blindfold. Doesn't seem like a lot, but when sensory input is reduced and your in a meditative state, it can be quite noticeable. That's why the float tank water is heated to skin temperature.

I think that's why it's cheaper. Very happy Yeah a buddy of mine said he did it at a festival and that the blindfolds actually had lights on them and that they gave out headphones that played strange beats and things like that, but I figured the principle could work alright for a crude sensory deprivation pod.
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather."

SpartanII
#5 Posted : 3/20/2013 8:27:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Psychelectric wrote:
SpartanII wrote:

I think that's why it's cheaper. Very happy Yeah a buddy of mine said he did it at a festival and that the blindfolds actually had lights on them and that they gave out headphones that played strange beats and things like that, but I figured the principle could work alright for a crude sensory deprivation pod.

Actually, combining binaural beats or other brainwave entrainment technology might be super effective, considering that during sensory deprivation your mind absorbs any sensory stimulus like a sponge, as long as it's not too distracting. The tank I use has underwater speakers and a built-in video monitor for "superlearning" and sports training, but I've never used it- next time I go I might have to try it out.Thumbs up