We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
B+ grow log Options

epoe
#1 Posted : 3/5/2013 7:37:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi.

This is my first time growing. I got a b+ strain print in the mail and made a couple of syringes out of it. I've got four jars inoculated two weeks ago and another four that are a week old now.

The first four jars are three parts vermiculite and one part rice flour (I didn't measure the amount of water I used). I couldn't find brown rice flour, the one I found is a mix between brown and white, so I'm half expecting sub-par yields, due to less nutrients.

The other jars have use the same ratio, but in stead of the rice flour I used, I bought a coffee grinder and powdered brown rice. I left about a quarter to a third of the rice whole, as I'd heard that would be a good idea.

The picture is the jar that's furthest along. The others aren't quite that far, though they are pretty close. I'll post a picture of the others when there's a little more to see. One or two of them have barely visible mycelium fuzz.

When the jars are fully colonized I'm going to let them stay in the jar for a week, then I'll dunk and roll them and put them in a simple fruiting chamber with perlite at the bottom. (Plastic bin with holes drilled into it)

I'm really excited to see how this turns out.
epoe attached the following image(s):
picture.JPG (51kb) downloaded 366 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Philosopher
#2 Posted : 3/6/2013 3:19:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm a first time grower too! We are actually using the exact same method and our mycelium are at the same stage of development. I also inoculated 4 a week earlier than the other ones (6).
We are surprisingly similar.

epoe
#3 Posted : 3/16/2013 8:54:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I birthed two of the cakes yesterday, after dunking them for about sixteen hours. The other two were a little slower so I'm birthing them tomorrow. I'll probably post pics tomorrow. Some mycelium fuzz has started to form on the birthed cakes.

I'm really excitedBig grin .

obliguhl
#4 Posted : 3/16/2013 9:09:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm so happy to see you excited - you have all the right in the world to be! Just wait until the first pins show up, and then they'll grow at an insane rate until you can gently harvest them. The loving vibes you're putting in now will be paid back in due time Smile

Philosopher
#5 Posted : 3/16/2013 9:20:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow epoe, I also birthed mine Friday. Are you using that pf tek video on YouTube? It seems like we're doing the same kind of thing. Keep us updated.

epoe
#6 Posted : 3/25/2013 2:53:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The growth has been slow.

So far I've only got one pin, but that's okay, I'm patient.

I'm a little worried about these blue-ish spots. Do you think they're just bruising or could it be a contamination?

Also this Thursday I'm going out of town and won't be back until Monday. Since things have been slow I think it probably won't matter, but I was thinking if I should remove the pin (and others that might grow in the meantime) and dunk again on Wednesday just to be sure?
pin.JPG (108kb) downloaded 305 time(s).

Mr.Peabody
#7 Posted : 3/25/2013 3:16:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, that's probably just blueing. Don't worry! Plus, you've got another pin down at the base pointing to the bottom edge of the picture. That cake is probably about to explode. Usually, one or two trailblazers will pop out, followed by the rest of the crowd.

Oh, and don't worry about picking that one yet. It will still be fine and healthy when you get back.
Be an adult only when necessary.

Pup Tentacle
#8 Posted : 3/25/2013 3:17:33 PM

lettuce

I agree with Mr P - that looks like bruising not trich.
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

epoe
#9 Posted : 3/25/2013 3:30:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's good to hearBig grin

Now that you mention it Mr. Peabody, I noticed two tiny pinsSmile

epoe
#10 Posted : 4/1/2013 3:14:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just got home after a four day trip (out of town) and was greeted bywhat you see in the pictures and a few other less developed ones.

The ony thing that concerns me is the black part on the perlite and the foil. Is it just spores?
1.JPG (84kb) downloaded 264 time(s).
2.JPG (52kb) downloaded 268 time(s).
3.JPG (110kb) downloaded 265 time(s).

Philosopher
#11 Posted : 4/1/2013 3:29:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yup just purple/blackish spores. Good job! Make sure you dry them correctly, I didn't Sad

epoe
#12 Posted : 4/1/2013 3:34:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Right before I left the first shroom fell off the cake due to it's weight, so I put it on some foil and it completely dried while I was gone, it's hard and breaks. It's about 1,2 g.

Dry climates are good for something I guess.

epoe
#13 Posted : 4/6/2013 6:22:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So far I've got 6,3 grams of dried goodness.

The attached picture is my most fruitful cake's first flush, as of today. This is the first (and only so far) of the later cakes that have been ready, the ones that got better nutrition (brown rice that I ground down myself, instead of a store bought mix of white and brown rice flour) so it's not really surprising that this one is fruiting more.

A quick question, any idea why two of the mushrooms are growing white stuff out of the caps? It looks similar to stem material. Is it anything to worry about?

Thanks Smile
white stuff.JPG (92kb) downloaded 240 time(s).

camel
#14 Posted : 4/6/2013 8:51:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

These look great! Been a while since I've grown a batch of cubies and seeing these pics makes me tempted to dust off the petri dishes and innoc loops Laughing

I highly recommend trying out casing for your next grow. It increases the yields quite considerably Smile

epoe
#15 Posted : 4/12/2013 3:42:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

camel wrote:
These look great! Been a while since I've grown a batch of cubies and seeing these pics makes me tempted to dust off the petri dishes and innoc loops Laughing

I highly recommend trying out casing for your next grow. It increases the yields quite considerably Smile

Actually, I was thinking of trying to make my own grow kit next time, like in Luuk's thread.

Here are a couple of pictures og the same cake as in the last picture. The difference in nuitrition is clearly making a difference. The others take far longer to start to pin, and have fewer pins.

The first picture is right before I harvested the cake, and the later picture is the cake today, with new pins I just noticed.

fruits.JPG (79kb) downloaded 214 time(s).
pins.JPG (100kb) downloaded 213 time(s).

Mr.Peabody
#16 Posted : 4/12/2013 4:04:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

....and the shroom Gods smiled upon another deserving soul, and proclaimed, "Let there be SHROOMIEZ!!"
Be an adult only when necessary.

epoe
#17 Posted : 4/12/2013 4:23:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The funny thing is that I don't really want to trip until this summer. Now I'm perfectly content just watching them grow. I might actually look into growing gourmet mushrooms when I have time. I'm at least going out to pick edibles in the fall, after having such a wonderful time picking liberty caps last year.

camel
#18 Posted : 4/12/2013 6:40:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

These look really great, congrats!

If you want to grow gourmet mushrooms I highly recommend oysters. They are probably the easiest of all mushrooms to grow and they are quite delicious as well.

Baby Bonnie Hood
#19 Posted : 4/17/2013 7:37:10 PM

Grey jedi

Looks great. I can't wait for my shrooms to start growing. I'll make a log too once I have something to show! Very happy
My threads: Intro - DMT first time - My mushrooms

I'm not all that I can be....

epoe
#20 Posted : 4/26/2013 5:32:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The first flush of my last cake to colonize.

The other cakes are probably on their last fruiting.

The harvest has been just under 17 grams dried so far. It could probably have been greatly increased by using better nutrients in the first four cakes (ground brown rice, instead of a flour that was a mix of brown and white rice). But still, I'm happy with what I've got, it should last me for quite a while. I think it's quite good for a first grow.
First flush.JPG (85kb) downloaded 163 time(s).

12NEXT