We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
An Experiment for the Analysis of the Extraction of DMT from Powdered MHRB Options

EZ4U2Shoot
#1 Posted : 3/3/2013 9:29:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have now been extracting DMT fairly regularly for a little over 5 years. In the last 5 years I have performed, literally, hundreds of extractions from MHRB. Typically, I have preferred an STB extraction over an A/B extraction simply because MHRB is low enough in fats and oils that I personally cannot justify the extra steps of acidifying and defatting.

Lately, cyb's tek has gotten quite a bit of attention and I have become inquisitive about the addition of salt into the mixture. I understand the theoretical implication where by the addition of salt should provide ionic polarization which, in turn, should, theoretically, speed up the migration of the DMT into the aqueous mixture. While theory and practice are usually different, the theory is fairly sound and I would expect that it will speed up the extraction process. While I am absolutely confident that I can get complete maximum yeilds with the STB that I usually perform, I will note that I have been able to pull DMT as much as a year after basifying. So given the testimonies of other Nexians I am excited about the prospect of being able to extract the same amount of end product in a fraction of the time, possibly reducing several months down to a week.

Now, on to the exciting stuff and the reason for this post. I intend to determine the most efficient method of extracting DMT from MHRB through an experiment designed to analyze several individual variables and aspects of various extraction processes. Since I have performed so many different extraction tek's and have read just about the rest (at least those on the Nexus and a few other sites) I recognize that there are a lot of similarities. Additionally, there are certain "steps" or procedures within a complete process that may be common or unique. As such, it is my intention to determine what steps and procedures have the greatest impact on the resulting yields.

To begin, in order to collect this data and have it be as accurate as possible, all of these extractions should be done from the same batch of Powdered MHRB. Additionally, ideally, all of the extractions should be done several times and the results should be averaged. The more times the entire experiment is repeated the more accurate the average will be. Now obviously, I will not be able to repeat the experiment several times with the same batch of Powdered MHRB, however, each time the experiment is repeated a new batch will be used for the entire experiment. In doing it this way, the data should be more accurate than it would if everything came from the same batch. I know from experience and many puchases that the quality of MHRB varies greatly depending on the freshness and especially the time of year that it was harvested.

I intend to perform all extractions for this experiment using Powdered MHRB from the same 1 kilo batch. For accuracy and thoroughness, all measurements of dry material and products will be done with a diamond scale with .001g precision. This will include the measurements of MHRB, Lye, and the resulting DMT. For liquid measurements I will be using a standard glass measuring cup.

The yield measurements that I am specifically interested in are as follows:

1.) White DMT.
2.) Lightly yellowed DMT.
3.) Dark yellow DMT.
4.) Obviously oily/fatty/waxy DMT mixture.

Then a follow up cleansing and recrystallizing should be done to purify the product and more accurately determine true yields. This is necessary because the oils and fats are a whole lot heavier than the DMT. The simple fact is, light yellow DMT is heavier than white DMT. And dark yellow DMT is significantly heavier than light yellow DMT. In my experience, dark yellow DMT can be as much as 50% heavier than pure white DMT because of the weight of the oils.

In order to determine a baseline for each variable I will use an STB extraction that I have done for a number of years that has been tweaked for use with Powdered MHRB. I will refer to this as 'Standard STB', or 'Std STB'.

Following are the variables that I believe I would like to test:

Extraction 1: As a base line, perform an Std STB.

Extraction 2: Do an Std STB with the addition of salt to the basified mixture.

Extraction 3: Perform heat bath prior to basifying mixture of Std STB.

Extraction 4: Perform heat bath on basified mixture of Std STB.

Extraction 5: Perform heat bath on solvant before pulling from Std STB.

Extraction 6: Freezing and thawing of Powdered MHRB in water prior to basifying mixture of Std STB.

Extraction 7: Freezing and thawing of basified mixture of Std STB.

Extraction 8: Simmering of MHRB water mixture prior to basifying of Std STB.

Extraction 9: Simmering of basified solution of Std STB.

Extraction 10: Acidify prior to basifying the Std STB.

Extraction 11: Acidify and defat prior to basifying the Std Stb.

At this point these are the variables that I can think of. Now I welcome and encourage input and suggestions. While I have already done quite a bit of planning, I wish to have this experiment completely planned out before I begin. So if there are any ideas that any of you may have, please let me know.

I realize this will take a lot of time and effort but I believe that when it is finished it will be worth it. Once I have compiled all of the data to determine the most useful procedures I will develop and write up a new extraction tek based on this information.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

infinitynlove
#2 Posted : 3/12/2013 4:45:36 AM

Mushroom Explorer

Hi Ez4U ... much love btw Smile

great experiment, I thought I would add something my friend has been doing!

Recently a friend has being doing a slightly modified version of lazymans tek and getting 12g - 13g extract from 500g of inner root bark!

yes this is medium dark yellow dmt, but when crystallized twice, she gets white crystals to about 60 - 65% of the original weight. there is quite a bit of n-oxide and oils left after re-crystallizing, which she enhances some leaf with.

All she does which is different to standard lazymans tek is the following ... Freeze the MHRB , blend it all up, then sieve it then blend the fibrous particles so its almost all pure powder.

Then mix in at first 2 litres of water with 200g of lye and 100 g of salt, then blend the hell out of it with a hand held blender, repeat this step thrice daily for 5 days, on day 3 she adds 50g more lye and about 30 g of salt, with about 1 litre of water, by this time, 3 days sitting in a very basic solution, the basified mix has thickened up and is quite viscous! I was surprised at how thik it gets!

On the 5th day add a further litre of water and blend again. Now here is the bit that we think makes the difference, instead of using a limited amount of naphtha, she uses copious amounts, like 1.5 litres per pull! I know its a heck of a lot of naphtha, but its not expensive in the scheme of things and damn does it pull some spice!, this is done 5 times and in the end just over 2% of extract is recovered with about 60% - 65% of this being pure white spice!

I know the bark in this batch is excellent, so this could be a deciding factor, she first tried to extract 100g and yielded just under 2g of extract using standard lazymans tek but with excessive naphtha but not blending up the bark, but just cutting up the bark into small chunks, and mashing instead of blending twice daily as per standard lazymans tek.

This is the extract from about 700g of bark, without recrystallizing

I hope this helps!

Peace love and unity Smile
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

infinitynlove
#3 Posted : 3/12/2013 4:50:13 AM

Mushroom Explorer

She actually said "am I doing this right, I shouldn't get this much, is there something else getting extracted here?"

I was thinking the same! but without further purification its very potent!

Peace
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

infinitynlove
#4 Posted : 3/12/2013 5:00:08 AM

Mushroom Explorer

by the way this is all for personal use, damn its to precious we wouldn't want to give it away nor sell it!

We are kinda in a pact that only 5 of us will ever know or take the spice we all make.

Its far to dangerous to give or sell to some random, who is likely to smoke way to much and freak out resulting in, at best, a very upset individual.

So anyone reading this, please do not think there is any financial gain or commercial side to these extractions, they are now, always have been and always will be for our very personal and intimate use only Smile

Peace

acacian
#5 Posted : 3/12/2013 6:27:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

good lord that would be satisfying running a scraper through that dish... i've never done an extraction that big but i know how nice it feels to scrape up a couple grams

mmmm

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 3/12/2013 4:55:26 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

You're up for a big project EZ4U2Shoot - but is it really necessary? I am talking from the perspective of the person who is anti-tek here. I believe that if you know the what you are doing there is little, if any, that can generally go wrong.

All of your different treatment do deviate from your control ("Std STB) in a way that introduce something potentially beneficial to the extraction; salt is thought to promote migration of dmt to the NP; heatbath prior to basifying will promote extraction of dmt into the aqueous mixture; heatbath after basifyign or heating the NP solvent again will promote migration of dmt into the NP solvent; freeze-thawing will promote cell lysis and release of dmt from cells, and so on.

I guess all these methods will affect one way or another how quickly dmt is extracted from the mhrb soup (that is, extraction kinetics), but is it going to affect overall yield? You already say that you are confident you can get out as much dmt as is in there, so I guess, is there anything in your treatments that that could not be rectified by doing a few more pulls? You also mention that you aspire to find a way to make things "faster" as opposed to having to be pulling for a year or so; Have you thought of deviating your NP solvent? We know very well that in STBs from which naphtha pulls do not yield much, by switching to xylene/toluene/limonene one can continue pulling to the point of exhaustion.

I am not negative about your project, in fact I would love to see results in some of these treatments (the use of salt in particular...) and more data are never unwelcome. But I think that if I were you I'd devote my time and resources elsewhere. Trying to find out the "best extraction" feels a bit "yesterday" with all the progress that has been made so far in dmt extractions. If I were you I'd do the same not for dmt but for mescaline extraction (which lacks behind by a long shot) or go on to extract and analyse dmt from novel sources, as this is the hot stuff at the moment.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

infinitynlove
#7 Posted : 3/15/2013 4:52:24 PM

Mushroom Explorer

Infundibulum wrote:
.... If I were you I'd do the same not for dmt but for mescaline extraction (which lacks behind by a long shot) or go on to extract and analyse dmt from novel sources, as this is the hot stuff at the moment.

I would love to see some advanced DMT and 5-meo-DMT extractions from novel sources, especially grass.

But if there is an ultimate technique that yields the most amount of dmt in the shortest period of time using the least amount of materials I sure would like to hear about it!

Best of luck in your research!

Peace