We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV2345NEXT
Golden Teacher grow log Options

Pup Tentacle
#61 Posted : 3/27/2013 10:36:21 PM

lettuce

It's probably not as bad as it looks - but like Michal_R says... they must be cracker dry.

The oven thing probably didn't wreck it all.

If they're all blue and green and dark in spots and it's only been 2 days since harvest when you got them mostly dry - well it just sounds like they're beat up... maybe a little less potent for the bruising, but heck, that's a nice pile, so you have to eat an extra cap to make up for it... no big deal.

Smell them. Do they smell like mushrooms? Or do they smell "off"? Since I can't see them or smell them that's my best advice. As always, when in doubt, err on the side of caution.

I'm sendin' good vibes. I know how much you've put into this. Thumbs up Thumbs up
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Dankity
#62 Posted : 3/27/2013 10:38:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Buy 2 air filters for your furnace, place mushrooms between them. Run fan on that, blowing the air through the filters. It could take 2+ days for mushies to fully dry. Like Michael said, you want them fully dried.

Philosopher
#63 Posted : 3/27/2013 11:15:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just checked the sealed container with desiccant in it and the shrooms are still not dry. They've shriveled up a ton but they are limp. Also in the middle of the caps on top there is a little wetness. This makes no sense. They seem completely ruined. I wouldn't even eat one of them and I really was looking forward to tripping.

Do these look unsafe?
Philosopher attached the following image(s):
image.jpg (260kb) downloaded 231 time(s).
image.jpg (250kb) downloaded 231 time(s).
image.jpg (219kb) downloaded 231 time(s).
We are surprisingly similar.

โ—‹
#64 Posted : 3/27/2013 11:23:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

fan on mesh screen til most of the way dry then move to a dessicant chamber. that'll get them 'cracker' dry.

Philosopher
#65 Posted : 3/28/2013 12:00:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is it too late now? Ill try again in summer I guess. I took some prints. But I had so many beautiful golden teachers, I never expected them to turn into this black and blue mess.

Philosopher
#66 Posted : 3/28/2013 2:28:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Even if the shrooms looks nasty do you think I could boil them in water for 10 minutes then strain them out. Or would that be unsafe?

Mr.Peabody
#67 Posted : 3/28/2013 5:40:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Calm down!!!
They're fine! They look exactly like any mushroom looks when being dried. They get all wavy and freaky looking and black and blue and sometimes green!

My desiccant chamber is just one of those ziplock tupperware things. The big one. The desiccant is in the bottom, on top of that is a generally same size of printer (or any available) paper, on the paper is shrooms and on the tub is the lid! It's important that enough air passage be left open to the desiccant. Cubes are pretty chunky, so it may take a day or two until they're completely dry. They will be fine in the mean time! I have left shrooms in my box and forgot about them for a week or two. The psilocin breaks down no matter what you do, and the psilocybin is quite stable.

Your shrooms are fine, as long as they don't have mold or smell sour (not like strong shoom smell, but a real twang) MUNCH EM UP!!
Be an adult only when necessary.

Michal_R
#68 Posted : 3/28/2013 10:04:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mr.Peabody wrote:
Calm down!!!
They're fine! They look exactly like any mushroom looks when being dried...

Exactly Thumbs up

I use food dehydrator (I really recommend one if you can afford it; it can be also used for preserving fruits/vegetables Smile )

From what I heard it is common that it can take several days for Mushrooms to get completely dry in homemade desiccant chambers. Some people even dry them by just putting them on some newspapers above radiator, and it works fine for them

โ—‹
#69 Posted : 3/28/2013 10:26:44 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

The best method I ever found was what I stated above. Absolutely no heat is applied. Spread them out on a mesh screen with a fan on low-medium. The screen kinda holds them in place. That'll get them around 90% or so dry, then transfer to a homemade dessicant chamber. I used this silver looking-rectangular box that contains a bunch of damp rid xtals. I just put that silver little box in a huge rubbermade container with newspaper. That silver little box will suck out any remaining moisture and leave them VERY brittle/dry. That takes several days.

Parshvik Chintan
#70 Posted : 3/28/2013 7:26:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tattvamasi wrote:
The best method I ever found was what I stated above. Absolutely no heat is applied. Spread them out on a mesh screen with a fan on low-medium. The screen kinda holds them in place. That'll get them around 90% or so dry, then transfer to a homemade dessicant chamber. I used this silver looking-rectangular box that contains a bunch of damp rid xtals. I just put that silver little box in a huge rubbermade container with newspaper. That silver little box will suck out any remaining moisture and leave them VERY brittle/dry. That takes several days.

just a quick addition: wooden boxes work well as the box itself acts as a dessicant of sorts
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!
ๆจน

โ—‹
#71 Posted : 3/28/2013 9:42:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
Tattvamasi wrote:

just a quick addition: wooden boxes work well as the box itself acts as a dessicant of sorts

Thumbs up Wooden box in place of rubbermaid noted

Philosopher
#72 Posted : 3/28/2013 9:44:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Really you think they look fine? There are some that are completely black. It seems rotten or something. I left it in the jar with desiccant cuz I'm going out of town. When I get back if they aren't cracker dry I'm throwin them out. But if they are then maybe they edible...they just seem very sickly. Compared to the other dried shrooms I've eaten. Idk. Thanks guys!

jamie
#73 Posted : 3/29/2013 12:12:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

like everyone else said..build a dessicant chamber.

The black look is usually normal..its just spores that dropped from the caps onto spots on the mushrooms below them most of the time. It man make caps etc that look really black.
Long live the unwoke.

Philosopher
#74 Posted : 3/29/2013 2:39:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No but I saw the spore droppings onto the other mushrooms they were purple. I think these ones are goners though. Ill see when. I get back home wether ill throw em out or not.

Next time I will definitely immediately fan dry in my basement, least humid part of house, then once they look shriveled ill put em in a desiccant chamber with some silica gel cat litter. I just hope my second flush works out

Philosopher
#75 Posted : 4/8/2013 3:04:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Most of my 2nd flush. I over saturated then went on vacation and when I came back these puppies were magically there. I'm just glad the cakes survived.
image.jpg (301kb) downloaded 130 time(s).
image.jpg (332kb) downloaded 128 time(s).
image.jpg (269kb) downloaded 130 time(s).

Philosopher
#76 Posted : 4/8/2013 3:18:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As for my first flush...not so good.

I left them in an airtight jar with desiccant over break and, they look completely black. When I opened the jar the paper towel in between the desiccant and shrooms was damp, I threw away all the shrooms even touching the paper towel. What about the remainders. They are all completely cracker dry, just so black and dead.
image.jpg (254kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
image.jpg (254kb) downloaded 125 time(s).

Philosopher
#77 Posted : 4/8/2013 3:20:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I wouldn't eat these. If you all inform me it's safe and I think your reasonings make sense then I'd ingest them only by grinding them up, and boiling in water. Just to kill anything that could get me really sick. And so I don't have to taste this shriveled black mess. But I am pretty sure ill end up tossing them all.

camel
#78 Posted : 4/8/2013 3:25:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I personally wouldn't but them in anything air tight...

In the past I've put freshly picked fruits on a screen in front of a dehumidifier overnight with excellent results (cracker-dry by the next morning).

For what it's worth I've never had them dry with as much bluing as in your previous picture. Could it be they got moldy in the air tight container? Can you see any type of trich or anything growing on them?

Seriously a fan and a screen to lay them out on in the open air is all you need. They WILL dry out completely eventually when dried this way. In my experience dessicant is completely unnecessary but to each his own.

Philosopher
#79 Posted : 4/8/2013 3:41:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah i should not have done it airtight. Right now I got this flush on a rack, like an oven rack. In my basement where there's low humidity and I have a fan blowing on them overnight. Mistakes are good, I gotta earn these mushrooms in order to eat em.

DeDao
#80 Posted : 4/8/2013 3:49:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yea, those don't look right. Almost, rotten. If that can actually happen.

If they aren't safe and don't work, sorry for your lost work. Sick
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

«PREV2345NEXT