We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Shulgin is in trouble and could use our help Options

Dr_Sister
#1 Posted : 3/1/2013 3:54:23 PM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Chemical expert | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, MarketingSenior Member | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, Marketing

I think its a complete bummer that someone like Shulgin, grandfather of psychedelic chemistry, whose contributions to our community have been of inestimable value should be struggling to make ends meet. Check this out ...

http://teafaerie.org/2013/02/456/

There is a link at the end of the article where donations can be made. Please share widely ...

Thx
Sister

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 3/1/2013 4:30:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've donated a while back and encourage everyone to do the same. The Shulgins have done so much for us, it is indeed really upsetting to see them live their last years in financial distress.

Vodsel
#3 Posted : 3/1/2013 4:38:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Just made a donation, thank you for sharing.

And for those among you who can donate a few bucks and are hesitant to do so, and won't read the Shulgins books, watch "Dirty Pictures", the 2010 documentary about them.

imPsimon
#4 Posted : 3/1/2013 5:28:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Made donation, keep bumpin!

Dark_Star
#5 Posted : 3/1/2013 6:28:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, I didn't even know he was sick. Sad This is some sad news indeed. Check & small letter of hope &love will be mailed today.
“Was I a criminal? No. I was a good member of society. Only my society and the one making the laws are different.” - Owsley Stanley

CuriousSeeker
#6 Posted : 3/1/2013 9:50:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is inexcusable that this occurs in a country that dares to consider itself the best at everything. I look forward to its being better someday and will argue and vote until it is. But for the present, it is a pretty small community that even knows about the Shulgins, and as a member I feel led to donate.

Namaste!
A scale is a wonderful thing. Everything else posted by CS is lunatic fiction.

InMotion
#7 Posted : 3/2/2013 12:17:27 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Thanks for the awareness. Next pay-check. Cheers.

Metanoia
#8 Posted : 3/2/2013 1:43:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's terrible. I'll donate as much as I'm able. Much respect and honor to those who choose to toil in obscurity.

Pandora
#9 Posted : 3/2/2013 2:42:45 AM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

This article made me Crying or very sad . We are not able to give currently due to bills related to cancer treatment and missed work days, but if anything gives at all in the foreseeable future (hopefully sooner rather than later) we'll be there to make small (every little bit helps) donations for the Shulgins and for the Nexus.
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

The Day Tripper
#10 Posted : 3/2/2013 3:12:01 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Do it!!

I got a (albiet mass) email of gratitude the last time i made a donation to help cover some of their fiscal woes, and if you can spare, even a small amount, do it. Or buy a hardcopy of phikal/thikal, if you already own them buy it as a gift for a friend/family member.

Sasaha and Ann have done soo much good in their lives, mostly without intent of financial gain, and its painful to see those that give and give all their lives in such troubles.

If you really want to help get the message out there irl, print out flyers and hand them out at the appropriate venues. People who care will help, they just need to know help is needed.

"The greatest thing, you'll ever know, is just to love, and be loved in return"

- Nat King Cole

Lets all send all the love/care we can spare to these two magnificent souls who have been overflowing with unbounded love and care all their lives. Tis the least we can do.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

Dr_Sister
#11 Posted : 3/2/2013 4:38:31 AM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Chemical expert | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, MarketingSenior Member | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, Marketing

The Day Tripper wrote:
Do it!!
Or buy a hardcopy of phikal/thikal, if you already own them buy it as a gift for a friend/family member.

Great idea! They are a great read even if you aren't interested in chemistry because half the book is anecdotal of all the interesting stuff the Shulgin's have experienced.

Thikal is available here: http://www.amazon.com/Ti...=1-1&keywords=thikal

and Phikal here: http://www.amazon.com/Pi...9605/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

trufflz
#12 Posted : 3/2/2013 6:48:19 AM

Mystify your Mind

The Day Tripper wrote:
or buy a hardcopy of phikal/thikal, if you already own them buy it as a gift for a friend/family member.

Is it fair for me to suggest that I feel more comfortable pirating the book and donating directly to the paypal link?

Just a thought... I hope that his health has improved.
DMT smells like math.

basilic
#13 Posted : 3/2/2013 12:52:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I made ​​a donation to these benefactors of humanity be blessed

primordium
#14 Posted : 3/2/2013 1:11:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Let me quote the opinion from the 1991 case of People v. Silver, "Doctor Alexander Shulgin, a biochemist, also testified for the defense. Shulgin stated that the term 'substantially similar' is meaningless and has no scientific acceptance. On cross-examination he stated that in ways methamphetamine and MDMA are similar in effect in that both cause intoxication, motor tremor and appetite loss, but in other ways they have different effects: methamphetamine is more of a stimulant and does not cause 'the easy self-acceptance and self image that comes from M.D.M.A.'"

Yes, this wizard testified on behalf of MDMA.

Please donate!
"The infinite vibratory levels, the dimensions of interconnectedness are without end." -- Alex Grey

Ford Prefect
#15 Posted : 3/2/2013 2:51:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dr_Sister,

Thank you for this post. Thumbs up It's funny, I was just starting to roll when I found this post Surprised . I spent the entire come up typing Ann and Alex a letter of gratitude and attached it to my donation. How could I not feel gratitude on a night like this? N E who, I'm going to recruit my friends to take donations for the Shulgins' on the festival circuit this summer. I know where his fans are hiding, he he... The bark supply is getting a bit low these days, but I have a feeling I'll be giving away a little spice to select sympathetic psychonauts, after they donate (and decide to hang with me for a bitWut? ). Just to the ones who reveal an educated interest in the stuff, anyhow.

Now, I know what your thinking. And I'm firmly against taking money for spice. It seems like whenever greed enters an equation with psychedelics bad things happen, selling hallucinogens (-or, are they holy sacraments? hmmmm...) is just bad luck. Period. I just like helping people who are searching for it be found by it. I share it all away, every time Stop There is nothing like watching someone blow their mind and knowing in the back of your head it was because you decided to share. Who ever it is gets full credit for having their experience, of course. Its just, knowing you can wedge your shoe in that doorway for someone so they can squeeze through, it gives me such a warm & fuzzy feeling sometimes. (or is that my pill talking again?!?)

Earth: Mostly Harmless... Dont Panic!

Keeper Trout
#16 Posted : 3/3/2013 2:02:06 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Cacti expert | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.Senior Member | Skills: Jack of many trades, master of several:  chemistry, microbiology, optical work, stone cutting, metal working, botany.

Something to bear in mind is that Sasha is old and in his final years of life. His costs of living and supportive care are going to keep going up as long as his heart is still beating.

Al Dimentiz
#17 Posted : 3/3/2013 2:25:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I just made a donation + I shared this story on my social media...
Thank you for joining the cause nexus.
"The Medicine Will Always Be There For Those Who Seek It"

hixidom
#18 Posted : 3/3/2013 4:10:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Is it fair for me to suggest that I feel more comfortable pirating the book and donating directly to the paypal link?

I was just thinking something along those same lines. How much of the book profits go directly to them, I will never know. I can probably check the book out at my University's library and give the money directly to them. I wouldn't say I support pirating the book, but this is particular case is, morally, a very gray area if I've ever seen one.

I donated. I feel that MDMA has made me a better person. I don't know if I have the Shulgins to thank for that, but they seem like a good place to start.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

Vodsel
#19 Posted : 3/3/2013 8:22:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Tihkal price tag, at least in my copy, is $24,50. Pirate it if you want and donate the amount to the Shulgins.

Tranquil
#20 Posted : 3/3/2013 8:41:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Keeper Trout wrote:
Something to bear in mind is that Sasha is old and in his final years of life. His costs of living and supportive care are going to keep going up as long as his heart is still beating.

When he finally passes on, unless he has made arrangements and pre-paid for his burial / cremation, dying is not cheap either, even if Ann chose the most economical means of taking care of Sasha's remains and of placing them in their final resting place. I think it's wise to not only think about his living expenses, but also to think about helping Ann out with the future cost of his funeral, or if she suddenly passes before he does, to help him with the cost of hers.

As soon as I get paid (this week??) and have some money, I will donate.

123NEXT»