We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Martial arts? Options

AlbertKLloyd
#1 Posted : 2/21/2013 4:58:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was wondering if we have many people here who practice martial arts.

If you do and can share, what do you practice, how long have you done it and what are your thoughts on it?

I practice Taijiquan and have had lessons in many other martial arts. I have done taijiquan for about 7 years now and it has helped my mental, emotional and physical health and has given me a great deal of martial skill.

Thanks!
If there are enough people I would love to discuss this in the context of psychedelics.

I used to take 50mg of mescaline and go to class or go do push hands for a few hours. It was a nice mild stimulating dose. Good times!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

nicechrisman
#2 Posted : 2/21/2013 5:05:39 PM

Kin

I've been doing Aikido for about the last 10 years. Been to Japan a couple times for it, once to test for my black belt.
Nagdeo

AlbertKLloyd
#3 Posted : 2/21/2013 5:11:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I enjoy Aikido theory very much and have a few books on it.
It has much in common with taijiquan and has also been an inspiration in terms of research regarding statue postures relevant to martial arts.

How would you say that Aikido has benefited your outlook or attitude regarding life? (If you don't mind my asking)
Thanks!

nicechrisman
#4 Posted : 2/21/2013 5:17:17 PM

Kin

My first teacher changed my life. He taught me how to hold myself with confidence. This has revolutionized my life in countless ways. I've also gotten very into meditation in the last year.

Aikido means different things to different people. To some it's a martial art. To some it's a way of being. Blending with the energy rather than opposing it.
Nagdeo

nicechrisman
#5 Posted : 2/21/2013 5:23:15 PM

Kin

I have lately been considering trying out taichi or one of the closely related arts. I'm becoming less and less focused on the martial aspects. I get tired of working with meatheads who want to wrestle.
Nagdeo

tetsuotheironman
#6 Posted : 2/21/2013 7:06:37 PM

halfsharkhalfalligatorhalfman

I've practiced a japanese art (has striking,grappling (with submissions) and weapons) on and off since I was about 15 ( so 17+ years - but only about 7-8 straight).

I personally love it - although sadly I haven't been able to train for about a year now.

If anything it is something that I've put a considerable effort DOING and not just reading about... Its taught me that real learning is sometimes only really possible through action (and practice). This is kind of a problem I (and everyone I'd imagine) have sometimes mistaking learning + 'book knowledge' with wisdom/understanding/experience. For example - you can't possibly 'understand' a psychedelic experience without having actually taking the substance... (you can't really understand it taking the substance either!)
I guess if anything martial arts have given me an inexhaustible well from which to make analogies Smile

I don't really practice so much for 'health' or even 'self-defense' as much as an intellectual pursuit.

I don't know too much about tai-chi (although we practice similar 'katas' to understand movement) - but you don't actively engage a human opponent no? I'd be hesitant to take any hallucinogenic or other drugs if having to engage with another person on a physical level like that due to the possibility of injury... I already struggle with controlling strength/power and throwing in a substance which might fool my perceptions could be dangerous. I understand you indicated a lower dosage, that's fine and I'm not saying anything is wrong... Just to be mindful. (hell even an anti-inflammatory could cause you to not stop when you yourself should due to injury - too much caffeine might contribute to you to over-muscling a submission). That said - a light dose of cannabis has been fun grappling... (so I've done it as well)

AlbertKLloyd
#7 Posted : 2/21/2013 8:57:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tetsuotheironman wrote:

I don't know too much about tai-chi (although we practice similar 'katas' to understand movement) - but you don't actively engage a human opponent no?

There tends to be some active engagement in the way I practice and train with a few people.
I have been hit many many times and have hit others. Most injuries are nothing too bad, a minor black eye or split lip, some bruises, a sprained finger, stuff like that.

You have a good point, any substance we take that affects the mind affects the body and response.

A low dose of mescaline is a lot like a cup of coffee with a slight euphoria, but I have had issues with drinking too much coffee before Push Hands. The way we train, the push hands is gentle and slow for a time but gradually speeds up to be very fast and involve rather serious attacks and strikes.

We are not trying to kill one another and don't aim for the eyes or throat, but there is the sentiment that if you don't train using Taijiquan against real techniques at real speeds, you are not learning a martial art.

endlessness
#8 Posted : 2/21/2013 10:53:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I´ve been practicing brazillian jiu jitsu for a year now, and it is already such a big part of my life. I love the fact that you CAN train full power against an oponent, because there are no strikes, it is about arm and leg locks, chokes and sweeps. Every time you get to your limit, you tap out and the fight start again, so it´s like every training I ´die´ several times, and each time makes me develop myself more.

Jiu jitsu, like aikido and many other martial arts, relies on technique which is mostly positioning, timing and leverage. Strenght and flexibility can help, but the first three aspects are the core. Jiu jitsu was started by a skinny fragile man who wanted to develop the techniques so that they worked for him against bigger stronger oponents.

Jiu jitsu practice is a very learning experience for me, like for example maintaining calm while under a dangerous situation, working with the options you have even if limited, using the movements already in place in your favor, etc. All of this can be extended to normal life too. Plus its such a humbling experience, to go there train, put oneself on the limit all the time, learn one´s weaknesses and face them instead of turning away, and so on.

I have trained jitsu on acid once only, and it was quite special... The problem is that I was ´hiding´ the fact I took acid from my training buddies since I didnt know if they were ok with it, so there was a bit of tension on my side, but anyways it worked very well and I feel I had more endurance and could better perceive the intention of the training partner.

realmsundiscovered
#9 Posted : 2/21/2013 11:21:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been practicing several different arts over the past 8 years. I have really stuck with win chun and jeet kune do.

I've trained in ninjutsu, jujitsu, several animal style Kung Fu, muy Thai, and Apache knife fighting. I really enjoy diversity when it comes to a martial art system. I don't like to let one style limit what I can do in a situation.

I have slacked off but I'm picking it back up. Martial arts is an amazing way to stay in shape, no matter what style you train in.

I think that to begin with a great stretching routine to prevent injury is a necessity. I usually start any routine with at least a 10 min stretch, which is a combination of ballistic and static stretches.

For training I like to do a lot of speed exercises with 2 lb weighted gloves. It really develops quick hands. Also I work on a bamboo dummy that I built to help train blocking techniques. And hitting a 100 lb bag really helps condition wrist and strengthen the punch. You can work on combinations and different evasive techniques while hitting the bag. In the midst of that I work on my kicks and incorporating them into my arsenal at full speed

As someone posted before me a huge advantage of jujitsu is full force sparring. I love to have to logically think of submissions and counters against a skilled fighter.

There're isn't many people in my area that I can spar against and it holds me back because learning techniques can only take you so far, until you put them in full speed scenarios.

Reality is nothing more than you make it. So use your mind and recreate it.

Doing better than the majority
Don't always bring you prosperity
You have to submit yoursel to conformity
To make it in this Society

AlbertKLloyd
#10 Posted : 2/22/2013 12:18:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
I´ve been practicing brazillian jiu jitsu for a year now...

Jiu jitsu was started by a skinny fragile man who wanted to develop the techniques so that they worked for him against bigger stronger oponents.

If I am not mistaken the BJJ was started by a Judoka who went to Brazil and is very different from Jujutsu in Japan. As well as being distinct from Judo, insofar as the original emphasis was on using the take-downs and breaking your opponent on the ground, but then in the BJJ the emphasis became using gentle take-downs that didn't break your opponent and then forcing submission, or breaking limbs, maiming, killing etc.

I still watch Kimura VS Helio a couple times a year...

I have a friend that trains MMA with an emphasis on BJJ and Muay Thai, I have a lot of respect for it.

I study a lot of martial arts history.

I've trained with all sorts of methods, trees, steel poles for energy issuing practice (like striking but with some distinctions) I should go train right now actually... maybe I will.

I've trained in Wing Chun and Capoeira, Ninpo and Karate among others, but only really practice taijiquan.

tetsuotheironman
#11 Posted : 2/22/2013 12:42:12 AM

halfsharkhalfalligatorhalfman

endlessness wrote:
I love the fact that you CAN train full power against an oponent...
This is surely what makes a chess match on the ground so much fun...

endlessness wrote:
...so it´s like every training I ´die´ several times, and each time makes me develop myself more.
And I believe this speaks exactly to the point I was referring to about having to DO it. It really is a necessity to get your ass handed to you to keep you humble and always learning new things to get better.

Rising Spirit
#12 Posted : 2/23/2013 3:13:20 AM

'Tis A Looooooong Wind Blowing Cosmic Dust

This is actually quite a wonderful topic to discuss amongst psychonauts. The path of the internal warrior and the path of the inter-dimensional explorer, are dealing with the same kinds of energies and share an immediate need for the cultivation of inner harmony, flow, concentration and mastery of our own natural energy (Qi/Chi/Ki).

I started with Judo in 1971 and enjoyed it for a few years. Did free-style wrestling during high school, while simultaneously maintaining my training in the Eastern martial arts. From 1973-1977 I studied Tae Kwon Do extensively. It was then that I began my practice of sitting meditation. It's been nearly 40 years and I am grateful for my teacher for his example, as a warrior and as a sage.

When I went off to art school, I shifted my focus to internal arts and began to practice Yang Family Taijiquan. Over the years, I studied Lahti for a few years with an Indian master. Lahti is the ancient Indian art of staff, both long staff and short staff. Also, we trained with shorter, paired sticks. Not so dissimilar to Filipino stick arts, just a different pattern.

Most reasoanble martial arts scholars agree that it was the Indian art of Lahti, that Bodhidharma (Damo in Chinese) brought from India to China, in 495 AD, when he founded the Shaolin Temple. This ignited an interactive fusion with the Chinese systems prevalent from millenniums of organized warfare, thus establishing a ripple effect that traveled still further East and also, South-East.

Damo is noted for birthing the Chan Buddhist philosophy, which by way of migration through Korea (as Seon Buddhism), became Zen Buddhism in Japan. The irony is that some of the most effective martial systems synthesized, perfected and are extensively practiced by Buddhist and Taoist zealots, themselves men of peace and contemplation.

I have been drawn towards Japanese Iaido (art of sword drawing) and Kendo (sportive way of the sword), Olympic Fencing and Chinese Wushu. Both my wife and I are avid Japanese Sumo fans. We've been following this traditional Kobudo art/sport since 1995. It is a Shinto ritual, as well as a national sport.

For the last decade, I have been mostly training in traditional Yang Family Taijiquan. My specialty is Jianfa and Daofa (sword and saber forms/applications/cutting targets). But I also have a deep love of Chen Family and Wudang systems.

Much of my devotion to these arts lies in my love of movement. I've long been an enthusiastic student of Hatha Yoga, dancing, trail running and body surfing. I feel there is a profound symmetry between these artful forms of expression. Through internal cultivation and inner balance, we become one with the entire universe. Thumbs up

There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.

emptymind
#13 Posted : 2/24/2013 6:01:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
endlessness wrote:
I´ve been practicing brazillian jiu jitsu for a year now...

Jiu jitsu was started by a skinny fragile man who wanted to develop the techniques so that they worked for him against bigger stronger oponents.

If I am not mistaken the BJJ was started by a Judoka who went to Brazil and is very different from Jujutsu in Japan. As well as being distinct from Judo, insofar as the original emphasis was on using the take-downs and breaking your opponent on the ground, but then in the BJJ the emphasis became using gentle take-downs that didn't break your opponent and then forcing submission, or breaking limbs, maiming, killing etc.

I still watch Kimura VS Helio a couple times a year...

I have a friend that trains MMA with an emphasis on BJJ and Muay Thai, I have a lot of respect for it.

I study a lot of martial arts history.

I've trained with all sorts of methods, trees, steel poles for energy issuing practice (like striking but with some distinctions) I should go train right now actually... maybe I will.

I've trained in Wing Chun and Capoeira, Ninpo and Karate among others, but only really practice taijiquan.

You are correct, but Judo came from Japanese Jiujitsu. The Gracies like to claim that they took judo and made it into a 'small mans' art, but judo already emphasized using technique and leverage, and a small good judoka could easily toss someone much larger than them on their head. I wouldnt say that bjj focuses on more gentle takedowns, they just spend less time on them, and thus most bjj practitioners arent as good at them as judoka.

Anyways, Ive been doing bjj for about 5 years now.

Dark_Star
#14 Posted : 2/24/2013 7:15:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I took Tae Kwon Do for years, starting as a young child. Earned my black belt by the time I was in high school, but became complacent & eventually stopped going. I went back years later in a failed attempt to sober up, then dropped out again as I slipped back into my addiction/alcoholism. (my smack dealer at the time lived a few blocks from the do-jang, so every trip to class ended in me stopping there instead.) Thumbs down

I'd like to get back into it now that I have my life together, but I'm so busy with school that it's not feasible. Once I graduate & am settled into my career I plan on going back.
“Was I a criminal? No. I was a good member of society. Only my society and the one making the laws are different.” - Owsley Stanley

AlbertKLloyd
#15 Posted : 2/25/2013 5:31:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, it is clear we have a lovely assortment of backgrounds for martial arts and enthusiasts...

So I have a question, how has the study and practice of martial arts changed your perspective insofar as how you either look at things, so to speak, or how you approach and respond to events; in your day to day life?

Yerba
#16 Posted : 2/25/2013 9:19:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I agree that experiential learning is the only way to develop proficiency with something like a martial art. The practice is the whole point - as if reading a book about running could get you into better cardiovascular shape Smile

And double agree with the frustration about 'meat heads'. I want to find an MMA or similar practice but it seems that the options are either knuckleheads who want to prove how tough they are or run-down 'karate' schools that do not seem practically useful at all.

EmptyHand
#17 Posted : 2/26/2013 12:45:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've practiced Yang and Chen taiji in the past. These days I've simplified my practice to Eight Pieces of Brocade, Standing practice, and Bagua circle walking.

For me, it is all about developing awareness, in yet another form.

eH

Rising Spirit
#18 Posted : 2/26/2013 1:56:41 AM

'Tis A Looooooong Wind Blowing Cosmic Dust

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
Well, it is clear we have a lovely assortment of backgrounds for martial arts and enthusiasts...

So I have a question, how has the study and practice of martial arts changed your perspective insofar as how you either look at things, so to speak, or how you approach and respond to events; in your day to day life?

A great question to raise, AlbertKLloyd. In my own life, martial arts training began as a result of a desire to both, defend myself and to protect those who could not realistically protect themselves. Also, I had a longing for a detached way to survive the seeming violent chaos of a turbulent world. Granted, I also had a deep fascination with the Far East and the philosophies of these cultures. Like anyone else, I would have preferred to live in a world without conflict and danger. Who doesn't prefer peace?

It almost immediately changed my perspective of this existential paradigm. Finding my center and harnessing my will were challenges I was enthralled to embrace. My Korean Tae Kwon Do teacher made Seon Buddhist sitting meditation mandatory, before each class began. His attempt to instruct Americans the ineffable nature of the Void... was less than fruitful but... it opened doors for me that never again shut.

Still, Master Kim was a great warrior and practitioner of practical, equal-minded principles towards living as a holistic human being. Many of my fellow students attained a high degree of martial skill and shared an awakening sense of internal development. But in my mind and heart, it became an avenue towards a definitive shift in priorities, boundaries of perception and an embrace of challenges which would draw me deeper into the web of the limitless Tao.

It began as a search for an effective fighting art and developed into a highly meditative process of self-transformation. I realized early on that it was myself, who was the greatest opponent I had to face.

For myself, I have learned to respond to, and seek to balance with, any see-saw effects born of the dichotomous rush of intense pleasure and attainment, in juxtaposition to the agony of extreme upheavals and daunting travails we face. More than anything... martial arts practice has instilled in my central core of being, a strong instinct for walking the path of The Middle Way.

Be prepared for anything, be resolved to act righteously but never yield unless you choose to do so, nor give ground unless you are drawing the force of conflict into your vortex, thus returning it to it's own source. Being the mirror of the aggression, yet, without hatred, fear or anger. Always seeking harmony first, over any potential conflict... yet if violence presents itself, one must remain internally centered and do what is needed to re-direct said assault.

Again, we'd all prefer to live in a world without hatred, conflict, crime, social manipulation or derision. Always seek the wisdom of The Middle Path, always clearly seek harmony first. If violence arises, let it pass without becoming one of it's blind, helpless puppets. Do only what is necessary to do, or to undo, and then walk away. Thumbs up

There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.

deeplake
#19 Posted : 2/26/2013 2:26:18 AM

turn on tune in drop out

Came on here for something else and noticed this interesting thread!
I know I don't make a good spokesperson for it, but if you really knew me, and what an impact Choi Kwang Do made on my life...... Heck, that was my life for over 3 years. Talk about a fun way to excercise your mind and body. The only school in my state closed 3 years ago. The last class was my black belt testing. My ex girl and I were both asst. instructer. Boy do I miss it! Used to travel out of state for seminars too! They were like family.

Choi Kwang Do is basically Tae Kwang Do but more health concious, and more practical for self defense. Google it if curious.
I can't wait to start another, but in a financial rut right now. Always liked the ground arts, but used to wrestle in high school and hated practice (close up with another smelly dude on a mat). In my opinion, if you are looking to defend, pick a ground art. Believe me I used to get in alot of fights when I was young. But I don't care about that anymore. I'm thinking of muay tai next.
deeplake attached the following image(s):
Black Belt testing 031.jpg (1,207kb) downloaded 455 time(s).
I have an overactive imagination, and am certifiably insane. So anything I post is purely fictional.

Dark_Star
#20 Posted : 2/26/2013 10:52:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

deeplake, have you considered starting your own school? You could continue to practice & make a little money on the side.
“Was I a criminal? No. I was a good member of society. Only my society and the one making the laws are different.” - Owsley Stanley

123NEXT»