We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Non verbal communication Options

nicechrisman
#1 Posted : 2/14/2013 5:12:18 PM

Kin

Something that's been on my mind lately. I sometimes feel like human beings often feel this unnecessary need to verbalize and ask questions that are obvious just for the sake of conversation. Why do we do this? Are there other more effective ways for us to communicate?

Many of the revered yogis of India speak/spoke highly of silence. That it is a very health spiritual practice. I've noticed too that many native Americans speak very little unless there is something to be communicated. I feel like western society could stand to learn a lot from these people.

A Sufi quote comes to mind-

"Before you speak, let your words pass through 3 gates
At the first gate, ask yourself- is it true?
At the second gate, ask yourself- is it necessary?
At the third gate, ask yourself- is it kind?"

I feel like non verbal communication is one of the best ways to learn to communicate with beings from any culture or language. Why must we learn a new language, when we all perhaps share a deeper form of communication that doesn't involve "language"
Nagdeo

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Pup Tentacle
#2 Posted : 2/14/2013 5:24:10 PM

lettuce

From a trip several months ago I still have a voice that chimes in quite frequently telling me to "speak less". The very images/ideas I was experiencing in the original trip were that of Sadhus and Indigenous Americans.

Ultimately, what do I have to say? I am not that wise. What little wisdom I do have I feel is better used listening.

I think it is social conditioning to a large part... the talking too much. I think Westerners are taught early on that silence should be felt as uncomfortable and that leads to us all filling the silence with our babble.
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

DeDao
#3 Posted : 2/14/2013 5:28:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting. I totally agree with the idea of a more silent community. Some people would go insane ;]
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

Pup Tentacle
#4 Posted : 2/14/2013 5:44:00 PM

lettuce

DeDao wrote:
Interesting. I totally agree with the idea of a more silent community. Some people would go insane ;]

I think they may already be insane and are just fending off it's arrival by babbling, lol.
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

DeDao
#5 Posted : 2/14/2013 7:49:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hehe
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

Pup Tentacle
#6 Posted : 2/14/2013 7:59:15 PM

lettuce

Thinking more about it though... language came to be and evolved for some extremely good reasons. It was a the impetus for even more human evolution and development IMHO.
Pup Tentacle

Robert Anton Wilson

DeDao
#7 Posted : 2/14/2013 8:07:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sure it does. Like everything, it can also be used for ignorant and pointless and destroying things also.

Look at hear-say, Rumors, lies. Media in general..

Pup Tentacle
#8 Posted : 2/14/2013 8:09:44 PM

lettuce

DeDao wrote:
Sure it does. Like everything, it can also be used for ignorant and pointless and destroying things also.

Look at hear-say, Rumors, lies. Media in general..

Right on... I suppose the question isn't "Should we verbally communicate" but more like "How much should we..." or "What should we verbally communicate about"
Pup Tentacle

Robert Anton Wilson

DeDao
#9 Posted : 2/14/2013 8:11:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think the question is what about.
The rest will follow.

Pup Tentacle
#10 Posted : 2/14/2013 8:13:55 PM

lettuce

DeDao wrote:
I think the question is what about.
The rest will follow.

Thumbs up
Pup Tentacle

Robert Anton Wilson

nicechrisman
#11 Posted : 2/15/2013 4:45:06 AM

Kin

Pup Tentacle wrote:
DeDao wrote:

I think they may already be insane and are just fending off it's arrival by babbling, lol.

Thumbs up
Nagdeo

universecannon
#12 Posted : 2/15/2013 5:11:29 AM

โ˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Pup Tentacle wrote:
I think it is social conditioning to a large part... the talking too much. I think Westerners are taught early on that silence should be felt as uncomfortable and that leads to us all filling the silence with our babble.

Yeah. And its funny how, for me at least, once i started tripping with others this became immediately apparent and in-your-face. It can even spin some people into a bad trip via over thinking the situation and trying desperately to fill the silence for the sake of filling the silence and feeling comfortable...instead of just being

Pup Tentacle wrote:
DeDao wrote:

hey, me to

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

boogerz
#13 Posted : 2/15/2013 6:09:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting topic.
Reminds me of a trappist monk.

from wikipedia:
Trappist monks generally speak only when necessary; thus idle talk is strongly discouraged. According to St. Benedict, speech disturbs a disciple's quietude and receptivity, and may tempt one to exercise one's own will instead of the will of God. Speech that leads to unkind amusement or laughter is seen as evil and is banned.

Lagomorph
#14 Posted : 2/15/2013 7:59:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

universecannon wrote:

Pup Tentacle wrote:

Yeah. And its funny how, for me at least, once i started tripping with others this became immediately apparent and in-your-face. It can even spin some people into a bad trip via over thinking the situation and trying desperately to fill the silence for the sake of filling the silence and feeling comfortable...instead of just being

This resonates... I think a lot of it is the ego, and not "being well seated inside one's self," a concept I am still learning about.

New Year's Eve, people were NOT well seated inside themselves... and kept asking me the most RIDICULOUS questions.. ranging from "Why are you wearing pants?" to "How are you?" Both seemed equally ludicrous ;-) No one would sit next to me just quietly for very long, not long enough for words to really come.

Infundibulum
#15 Posted : 2/15/2013 1:04:25 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Does body language count as non-verbal communication? If yes, I bet it's just as powerful

Eye contacts, frowning, smiling, all sorts of facial expressions etc, hand and body gestures, non-verbal punch in the face, non-verbal kicking someone's teeth out, they do deliver powerful messages, don't they?

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

ChemisTryptaMan
#16 Posted : 2/15/2013 1:40:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I had an LSD trip several years ago where this was the main focus of most of my trip. I kept wanting to speek, but would get stuck asking myself "Why am I going to say this?". I would have been upset if one of the others I was with started babbling and wouldn't stop. Which ended up happening, and the other two of us had to tell him to just relax and let the silence continue on. We tend to stick to complete silence and darkness when we do these sessions and I personally believe I gain most when my trips are kept silent. I have since that last experience been much less eager to speak out during debates amongst those around me and have attempted to stay away from engaging in meaningless conversations. I haven't been completely successful, but I am making progress with this. I find the topic to be fascinating, and do think a lot of people would benefit from having this particular type of trip.

Pup Tentacle
#17 Posted : 2/15/2013 1:47:38 PM

lettuce

This may be a bit off the topic, but I think even non verbal communication fits into the category of language - and we all have an interest in psychedelics.

This is the website of Diana Slattery - http://psychedelicsandlanguage.com/

I met and spoke with her at Psychedemia this past September and really found a lot of what she had to say super interesting as well as relevant to some of my psychedelic experiences.

Anywhoo... maybe it will be of interest so some.
Pup Tentacle

Robert Anton Wilson

universecannon
#18 Posted : 2/15/2013 5:51:24 PM

โ˜‚

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Slattery's book "the maze game" is a fantastic read!

Infundibulum wrote:
Does body language count as non-verbal communication? If yes, I bet it's just as powerful

Eye contacts, frowning, smiling, all sorts of facial expressions etc, hand and body gestures, non-verbal punch in the face, non-verbal kicking someone's teeth out, they do deliver powerful messages, don't they?

of course

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

nicechrisman
#19 Posted : 2/16/2013 2:19:57 AM

Kin

Thanks for sharing in this thread everyone! I think it's a really fascinating topic and may be one of the next steps in human evolution (or perhaps an old step we lost along the way). Anyways, I think it's cool stuff!
Nagdeo